Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Replacing Gs300 Ice

Hi guys. First off all i'd like to introduce myself as a new member. Just fried my Mitsubishi gto twin turbo engine (fourth time :) and after i fed up with it bought a 1998 gs 300. As i had it now for couple of months decided to change the ICE. I had a look at the previous forums but still need a confirmation. My lexus is with a SAT NAV which i am keeping, and installed pioneer DVD unit where the air grill used to be :) Where the standart amp is located? I want to keep it,but need to conect the new wires from pioneer and disconect from original unit. I will run the line cables for my sub amp, so i can control the sub properly. Thanks a lot and looking forward to meet u in a meating if u do them.

after some research i'v found the amp but at the same time i found half a million of cables :( which of them are the input cables which i have to replace with a new ones from my new unit? guide/diagram of how what cables do what on the amp needed. Thanks

sad that i keep ading more questions,but no reply at all :crybaby: Is it possible to run the sound wires from after market radio into the amp and not to by-pass it? Thanks

thanks ibby for the reply, but i'v done it myself allready. Any member strugling let me know and i will gladly explain in detail how i'v done it and if u not far from me will give u a hand. Sad that i didn't get any reply or advise apart from ibby. Thats a warm welcome from club members..........................

Welcome to the club mate :)

I'm not sure there are many members (if any) who have altered the sound system in the GS (I can't think of any off hand) so the lack of response might be because no one knows the answer :unsure:

Glad you managed to sort it out though, and yep we'd all like to see pics of your install if you're thinking of putting any up :winky:

Yeah I was thinking the same, there are loads of people who have upgraded their ICE on their IS200s, but a lot less I think, especially active members, on the GS. Don't know if that's because the GS has a better system or perhaps it's more reliable (the IS200 OEM head unit is notoriously unrealiable so a lot of us get forced to replace it !). Or maybe it's because GS owners don't often look in this particular subforum too often ? :unsure:

Anyway, hope this hasn't put you off the club, you're very welcome, and I'm sure the ICE experts around here would love to hear more about what you've done to your GS's sound system ! :D

sad that i keep ading more questions,but no reply at all :crybaby: Is it possible to run the sound wires from after market radio into the amp and not to by-pass it? Thanks

if you are talking about the standard radio in a lexus gs 300 which is the pioneer head unit then no its not possible your aftermarket head unit will likely have more power to deliver anyways you will lose your factory sub though so run a remote lead and rca for future use

me and my other 2 friends which have gs thought, that standart GS audio system is pretty OK,but when we saw the difference between the original sound and what i'v got now, i couldn't believe how sh... it was as a standart. If u don't believe me come and compare mine with standart. Pioneer dvd unit, 2* 10'' subs and at this point i am still runingt the standart door speakers, and the difference is UNBELIEVABLE!

me and my other 2 friends which have gs thought, that standart GS audio system is pretty OK,but when we saw the difference between the original sound and what i'v got now, i couldn't believe how sh... it was as a standart. If u don't believe me come and compare mine with standart. Pioneer dvd unit, 2* 10'' subs and at this point i am still runingt the standart door speakers, and the difference is UNBELIEVABLE!

i have just fitted a alpine dvd head unit which runs all the door speakers and have used my genesis profile 2 to run the standard sub and the sound is tops. i have done 2k installs in previous cars with alpine type r subs,genesis and infinity perfect components. yes the bass was much better but the matchin of high mid and low frequency was no better and with the standard tweeters being of a high quailty it would be hard to find a better replacements. so unless u r really wantin to skake your windows out just fit a good head unit and a small amp to run the standard sub and you will be well happy.

after some research i'v found the amp but at the same time i found half a million of cables :( which of them are the input cables which i have to replace with a new ones from my new unit? guide/diagram of how what cables do what on the amp needed. Thanks

if u go to Halfords and get a toyota to standard head unit cable u will find it matches two of the plugs from the amp apart from on the smaller plug it has two extra wires which 4 the sub. hope that will help u

if u read above u will find out,t hat i am more than happy already. I'v done my ICE and i was recomending for everyone to change it as the difference is MASIVE even with a standart speakers still in which are perfect + aftermarket unit + twin 10' subs

• 7 months later...
My lexus is with a SAT NAV which i am keeping, and installed pioneer DVD unit where the air grill used to be

Hi

I have one question regarding the OEM navigation head unit:

Can the radio/cassette part of the head unit be separated from the navi part? My intention is to put in an aftermarket single DIN headunit, but I don't want to lose the air vents (as "extream" did).

2002 GS 300 (MKII)

Thanks for info!