Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Anyone Had Problems Fitting Induction Kit?

Hi Guys/Gals

Anyone had problems with fitting the induction kit from prolex? By that i mean, firstly the elbow hose doesn't fit my '01 is200 carbretter. I measured the diameter of the OEM lexus filter housing and it's 68mm ID (inside diameter), but the hose that came with the kit is like 65mm ID. I ended up splitting the hose just to fit the damn thing on and even then it's not fully fitted, just about holding on. So had to order another elbow hose as i'm not totally happy with the fitting (£19!) . Next, the bracket that comes out of the induction kit ends up in a position that doesn't go over any existing bolt holes, i will have to make another small bracket just so i can link an existing bolt hole to the intake pipe.

After kit was installed

Car has a slightly different tune at @2500rpm+ than before and seem more responsive (but this maybe just me being excited! lol).

Air temperature wise, it's the same as if it had the OEM filter on. After a 30+ minute drive the final readings were both at 21 degrees, outside temperature at 10 Degrees. Readings taking using OBDII reader (proscan 5.4 software).

Performance gain, don't know about the bhp, but it's suppose to be around the region of a few bhp, 5 at the most. Not really noticeable. But as mentioned, seem to be more responsive.

Cost

Well, cost wise i bought the kit second hand for £135 inc delivery(would cost £185 new, inc delivery), changed the existing filter (had power enterprise filter and it looked sorry for itself lol) with an Apexi limited edition chrome filter (£55). Replace the elbow hose (£19)+ decided to buy 2 Ace t-bolt clips for (£3), bought some clear sealant (£3) as i noticed there was thin gap inside the pipe where the adapter joins into induction pipe.

Conclusion, is it worth it?

Yes, purely for cosmetic change of the engine bay and if you don't mind seeing the rockerbay of the is200 or are willing to pay/make an engine plate to cover it. For myself, i'm quiet pickey and are prepared to pay extra to change the parts that came with the kit to improve it's apperance and function. For me, it's worth the hassle to bascially replace everything that came with the kit apart from the chrome pipe. The kit really is just for looks, the OEM filter has already proved it's designed very well compared to an induction kit, as the air temperature is the same before and after the kit was installed, but this is from my own findings . But the real test would be on a really hot summers day. This could be improved with the installment of a cold air box, but this is to be confirmed. So if you do decide to buy/install an induction kit, make sure you buy one that is angled round from the front of the engine bay, as alot of hot air does rise from the manifold and this will be picked up by an induction kit that comes round from over the manifold, making the induction kit worse off then the OEM air intake.

Few images....

Apexi filter

apexifilter.jpg

The induction Kit on it's own

inductionkit.jpg

Engine bay before kit

enginebay01.jpg

Engine bay with OEM filter off

enginebay1b.jpg

Engine bay with induction kit

enginebay02.jpg

From a different angle

enginebay03.jpg

enginebay04.jpg

Have also bought an engine cover to go over the rockerbay, plus the radiator panel and suspension plates, but they need polishing first before fitting.

Engine bay cover

engine_cover.jpg

Look good mate, like the Engine cover,

strange about the elbow not fitting.

Silly question but you took the rubber seal off from the throttle? (the one around the top that seals the standard airbox?)

Cheers Mat for pointing out about the throttle body.

I'm prefering to keep the seals round the throttle body, also seems like a mission to get them off without damaging them. It doesn't make the diameter any larger (0.5mm if that). There's like a smaller recess where the seals sit anyway at the neck of the throttle body. It's the actual throttle body part that the induction hose has problem fitting. But nevermind, just had to order a slightly larger elbow hose (in blue). I think it's holding at the moment, but just feels like half the job is done and i don't really want to open the bonnet everyday to make sure the hose hasn't come away from the throttle body.

Yeah, the engine covers nice, from Bazzas car, only just sprayed the brackets that he gave me and it's going to be like a puzzle working out which of the 4 brackets fit onto which engine part lol. Will also let the insurance know about the kit. Wonder how much they will add on top..£10. £20, hopefully, nothing?

Mine was very tight when I fitted mine (Nov 01).....I used a hair dryer to warm the rubber and make it more flexible, then wiped a smidge of washing up liquid around the inside of the rubber. Also just looked at mine and I have a jubilee clip securing it to the throttle body.

359925501.jpg

Looking at your pics, have you secured the induction pipe at it's bend with the bracket to the engine?

Also, really like the engine cover, but think you will need to cut it a fair bit for it to fit.....have you tried it with the induction in place?

Keith

I've tried smudging grease on it, but it was simply too tight of a fit to go over the throttle body. Nevermind, it's split now anyway, so ordered a blue 90 degrees elbow hose. This will also match the blue oil breather. I've also taken account when buying this new hose that the induction pipe will fit into it at the other end, so im going for 68mm, rather than 70mm, as the induction tube has a nice fit at 65mm OD, but with a nice new ace t-bolt clips (never used these before but they look cool lol) will tighten it up nicely.

After fitting the kit, i didn't wait around to dummy fit the engine cover. I was straight out on a road test with my OBD reader, was a really nice day but by the time i got back the weather turned from sunny to rain clouds above in like 1 hr! The reason is that there no point seeing if the cover would fit, if the kit wasn't even on properly, the angle of it may have to be changed etc. I've noticed on yours Keith that you managed to keep the cover above the alternator, i couldn't do that on mine, had to take it off.

At the moment the bracket of the induction tube isn't connected to anything, but it's secure enough, it's not going anywhere. Will upload image once i get it all on properly. TBH now after i have seen what an induction kit consists of, it's not difficult to make one of your own (and i know someone on here has and i remember it was very well made) and be considerably cheaper than buying the kit. The only diffcult part i would think to get hold of is the chrome pipe itself as it has to be angled correctly and that the diameter of the holes at each end is slightly different size, but i wouldn't have thought it's essential.

Mmmmmm.....blue eh?....Sounds very nice, do you have a link to where you ordered yours from? I may change mine for cosmetic reasons as that would look great.

Not sure why you had to remove the alternator cover, there should be plenty of room, unless it's because the tube is not tied to the engine??...Here's a full pic of mine:

359953270.jpg

Keep us updated with this one please....very interested with how you get on.....Good luck.

Keith

The hose i got is this one "68mm Silicone Elbow 90 Degree Hose Turbo Silicon Blue" HERE (Item number: 290274246224). Bare in mind the diameter is one that will fit mine, but may not necessary fit your throttle body, best to measure up the hose u currently have and get the one with the same size. Once my engine cover goes on you won't see the blue oil breather hose which is a shame lol.

p.s i can see why u like blue lol and yes i will clean the engine once the work is done.

This kit does make the intake temp cooler when driving.....stationary is the same as stock.

did you check the temps while driving along the road?

i checked mine before and after fitting the kit here is the results......

outside temp 10deg c

CITY DRIVING:

Stock 29degC......Prolex 19degC

80MPH DUALCARRIDGEWAY DRIVING:

Stock 23-21degC.....Prolex 13-12degC

STATIONARY 5MINS IDLE:

Stock 29degC.....Prolex 29degC

Was just looking at the prolex induction kits you guys have fitted, :whistling:

And if you brought one of these CLICKY And one of these CLICKY And 2 of these CLICKY From B&Q which are £10.99 each for a 60mm ID AND 750MM Lengh, all you'll need then is a slip on filter and 5 hose clamps? and you basicly have the same induction kit for around £50 plus the cost of the filter which you can buy quite cheap depending on the one you buy? :) saves a few £'s for little work and should run the same route as the prolex one? :)

Was just looking at the prolex induction kits you guys have fitted, :whistling:

And if you brought one of these CLICKY And one of these CLICKY And 2 of these CLICKY From B&Q which are £10.99 each for a 60mm ID AND 750MM Lengh, all you'll need then is a slip on filter and 5 hose clamps? and you basicly have the same induction kit for around £50 plus the cost of the filter which you can buy quite cheap depending on the one you buy? :) saves a few £'s for little work and should run the same route as the prolex one? :)

Hmmm maybe you will see a new person selling them on eBay soon.. ;)

Will also need something to clamp down the induction pipe. A T-junction connection to the oil breather and a hole for air temp sensor. The prolex one also has a bracket which is welded to the pipe, where it bends. But yes you are correct, buying the bits yourself will save alot of money. I bet if someone on here buys them bits and fits one in their car, everyone else will follow.

Will also need something to clamp down the induction pipe. A T-junction connection to the oil breather and a hole for air temp sensor. The prolex one also has a bracket which is welded to the pipe, where it bends. But yes you are correct, buying the bits yourself will save alot of money. I bet if someone on here buys them bits and fits one in their car, everyone else will follow.

Aztec already did before he fitted the charger kit

You dont need a T piece for the oil breather just buy a button filter, the air temp sensor you push it into the 90 degree pipe at the throttle body and the button filter i brought was £3.29 and the bracket to hold it in place you can use a hose clamp and metal tie which would cost less than a £1 :) so a bargain compared :) And the one i made was a lot less hassle fitting any covers due to its routing and the 63mm 90 degree pipe actually fits the throttle body :)

That does sound like a *very* interesting idea. But I would be concerned at how well those tubes would stand up in the engine bay, after all they're surely not designed for that sort of hostile environment ? Or have you used those exact same tubes Chris and found that they're fine ?

That does sound like a *very* interesting idea. But I would be concerned at how well those tubes would stand up in the engine bay, after all they're surely not designed for that sort of hostile environment ? Or have you used those exact same tubes Chris and found that they're fine ?

Used them a few times now Steve and on my last induction kit, there stainless steel and never had one rust yet :)