Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

A Maybe Knocking Sounds From Power Steering ?

Davros

Hey guys, can anyone please tell me if the pulley for their power steering looks like this ?

PICT0002.jpg

PICT0001.jpg

To me, I think there should be a nut holding this back, is this the same on yours ?

Also I seem to be getting a new knocking sound. I don’t drive my car very often, Thanks to working in either Reading or London, and it’s easier to get public transport.

But a couple of days ago after coming off the motorway I heard a knocking sound on idle. I had a look and can’t work out where it could be coming from other than from the power steering pulley, as there is a slight wobble on it when the engine is on tick over.

When I switch the engine off, the pulley doesn’t feel loose, but is this because the belt is holding it in place, or because I’m not pulling hard enough ?

Also the knocking sound only come on when the car is very warm, and has been driving for a long period.

The timing belts were replaced approx 20K ago, and the car is due a service.

I took a video of the pulleys and the sound, but it wasn’t as loud as it has been. I took the car for a 10-mile drive, and you can hear a slight knocking sound behind the tappets.

Remember this has been a lot louder than the video shows.

Anyone got any ideas to what the sound could be if its not the pulley ?

yes, there is certainly a Nut missing there

the knocking could very well be the bearings in the pump

Cheers Mat !

Do you know if this is a common thing to happen on the IS ?

a missing nut, no....i suspect at some point the pulley has been removed and not replaced correctly

the issue you may have now is that the shaft has worn, the woodruff key is damaged or the pulley itself

here are the part numbers for the parts

Key Vane pulley Pump

90280-05008 x 1

Nut

90178-12003 x 1

Pulley Vane Pump

44311-22050 x 1

although it may be easier, to find a pump from a breakers, .......thinking about it, i may have a pump myself, if you cant find one

i would order a Nut first off, and try that.....

Thanks again,

I went to a few places to find a nut like auto spares, and Halfords, but had no luck.

So I went to Lexus and they could get the nut in but will take 2 days to get here !!!! :o :o :o

I ordered it anyways and won’t drive the car until it gets here. I just hope the pump it self isn't knackered.

Cheers for the suggestions !!!

Ok I got a phone call this afternoon and was told my nut had arrived.

So I’ve just come back from Lexus and fitting the nut to the pulley, but it look like there is still a wobble. Which means the shaft must be bent, and that also the knocking sound once the car is warm has got to be the bearings.

What are my options now ?

Can this do any damage to the belt ?

What will happen if I just leave it with a wobble ?

I need to drive to Oxford tomorrow, and now I’m worried about breaking the car and not making it back.

It's the small half-moon piece shown in the second diagram here.

I'm sure Mat will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it slots into the shaft and then engages into the pulley. So if the nut was missing it's possible that the woodruff key has been damaged, and that would perhaps make the pulley not fit properly even with a new nut attached.

In one of your pictures, I *think* that you can see the slot in the inside of the pulley, at top-right of the shaft, that the key engages into.

Ahhh....I see now.

But how can I check to see if the woodruff key is missing, or broken ? There isn't a lot of room to check properly, unless I remove the pulley itself.

And if I remove the pulley does it need to be replaced exactly the same way it came off ?

Ahhh....I see now.

But how can I check to see if the woodruff key is missing, or broken ? There isn't a lot of room to check properly, unless I remove the pulley itself.

And if I remove the pulley does it need to be replaced exactly the same way it came off ?

you will need to remove the pulley to look at the woodruff key

here is the part number

Key Vane pulley Pump

90280-05008 x 1

have you checked to see if its not the pulley wheel itself thats bent instead of the shaft? WHen its running, look at the pulley from the top and see if it runs out.

Then look at the end of the shaft and see if there is any wobble on it. If not then would indicate that it is fairly straight and wobble is coming from elsewhere.

Just a thought.

• 3 years later...