Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Tte Lowering Springs

Steviewevie

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steve just been out and measured the gap between the wheel arch and top of the tyre (yes it's nearly 23:00 and dark but I'm working so no sweat.....lol). It sits as follows:

Nov 01 Sport with approx 45K when Eibach Pro Springs were fitted, now 12+ months later and 55K.

Front approx 30mm gap.

Rear approx 35mm gap.

I had my springs fitted at a garage where Tony Bones was working, then Tony did the geometry. Two guys with all the tools (spring compressors etc) and working with the car on a hydrolic lift took approx 1.5 hrs, not a job I would have wanted to take on myself personally.

Keith

getting my tte springs fitted tomorrow by Dr Bones. I will post some photos up next week. :)

good news mate. bet you cant wait.

only 1 more sleep :lol:

Steve just been out and measured the gap between the wheel arch and top of the tyre (yes it's nearly 23:00 and dark but I'm working so no sweat.....lol). It sits as follows:

Nov 01 Sport with approx 45K when Eibach Pro Springs were fitted, now 12+ months later and 55K.

Front approx 30mm gap.

Rear approx 35mm gap.

My measurements (to the outside of the arch, I assume that's what you did too) are as follows :

Front approx 60mm gap.

Rear approx 80mm gap.

I think some lowering is in order ! :lol:

Blimey, definately sounds like the earlier Sports were not as low as the later models (mine is the facelift version 01)...Steve it'll really make a huge change cosmetically and look loads better, handling will improve to. Only downside is you won't want to hit the speed bumps too quick, it's actually not too bad, but I'm always careful anyway.

Then you need the 18" wheels to finish it off :driving:

Keith

Nice one, those are looking really good - actually a bit tempted to get some myself but must resist!

Measured my car's height just to compare, it's a 2002 SE on standard suspension, got 18s on but shouldn't make much of a difference, and the gaps are as follows:

Front approx 55mm gap

Rear approx 65mm gap

That makes sense compared to Cous3s measurements, as I think our cars are both post 2001 facelift, and also shows that the early cars did ride ridiculously high!

Would it be the springs doing that, or the springs and shocks? If just the springs, then you'll clearly get more than a 30mm drop at the rear after swapping to these :)

Interesting, as suspected from Keith's measurements, later S/SE models look like they were lower than earlier Sport models !

Anyone got an early, non-lowered, S/SE that they can measure ?

As you say Parthiban, hopefully I should get a pretty good drop from my current ride height. Yeah it would be the springs that are responsible there.

Got my TTE lowering springs fitted today, thanks to the WIM boys. Here's a pic of how it looks now (looking not so bad as a few days ago since a large part of the dent at the rear has been pushed out) :

IMG_2528.jpg

Measurements of the ride height are now as follows :

Front approx 40mm gap

Rear approx 55mm gap

Compared to previously (1999 Sport), that's a 20mm drop at the front and a 25mm drop at the rear. I expect that to increase a little bit as the springs settle over the next few weeks and months. I'll measure it again in a while.

Tommy, I was suprised, I really didn't notice anything different in the ride comfort at all, still as good as ever. I was taking things pretty easy since I wanted to get used to how it felt, so can't give a full report on it yet. It felt like it didn't dip so much under braking/accelerating but still rode nicely. I will get used to it over the next few days and see what difference I can notice.

Overall I paid £247 for fitting the springs (two hours labour) and recovering the geometry.

Exactly the same as i paid :) and worth every penny.

Yeah that's so much better Steve, it will definately drop more once you start loading it up (3 or 4 people) and go over a few 100 speed bumps....!!

Okay you sorted the height, but now mate you really need a set of 18" wheels and painted calipers & decals......plus the bigger wheels make it look lower too. What condition are your discs like? Mine are due to be done, nothing special just Mintex all round.

Coming on nice now though mate.....really well done you must be chuffed.

Keith