Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Obdii / Scanner / Reader

Copper

Hello there.

I am looking at buying my own diagnostic reader, one that is compliant with an IS200 (yr 2000) I have a laptop so I was just looking for software and the necessary cales etc. Would this here fit the bill ?

Is it basically any OBDII interface 16 pin connecter that will do the trick, I am pretty new to this electronic ignition suff, even though it's been the norm for a good few years now !!

Many thanks

Copper.

Yep, that'll do the job. The type i'm using is this (eBay item number: 270365592164), but it simply does the same job. Hook it up to the OBDII connection to the lexus (located just under the drivers right knee, has a cap on it, think it's orange), start the engine, run the software (Proscan or Engine Check). And thats it, very simple, although i have tried other software i find proscan is the better ones out there and enginecheck looks quite good, but theres no point for me to use it as proscan does all that i want. It's also worth looking into the Bluetooth OBDII readers as they've started to appear, but can't comment on them as i have never used them.

I have mine connected all the time (OBDII reader part), the usb lead runs round the steering column and down the centre console along the bottom (left of drivers seat) and over to the passenger side ready to be connected for when i need to.

I use the ELM327 on mine matey with PROSCAN 5.4 software and it works a treat :)

If you search about on google etc you will be able to find quite a few different types of OBD software to try out, Quite a lot are free for the basic package and some are silly money for a full setup :)

Ive had 3 code readers on the car but none have them picked it up, Gord said that the one at Charlswoth does but thats too far away from me :( there should be a code cos the engine management light comes up :(

On most cars you can test the ABS sensor itself (lexus call it a speed sensor) with a standard multi meter. Usually they go open circuit when they are knackered.

Just get under car and find it on wheel hub, then unplug and put a meter across terminals. For the rear I think the cables from the sensor are longer and connect under the rear seat.

where the manual states DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Code) reader, is that the same as and ODBII reader? There are some codes on the DTC table in the manual which show check codes for the ABS/speed sensors?

Tis under Diagnostics, section DI-251

aztecbandit1 - did you make your own OBDII sensor then using that ELM327 IC? Looking at it, am thinking of doing so as the datasheet for that device looks simple enough. As long as you can get hold of the software to interpret the data coming from it....

where the manual states DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Code) reader, is that the same as and ODBII reader? There are some codes on the DTC table in the manual which show check codes for the ABS/speed sensors?

The workshop manual gives all sorts of procedures for the DTC tool giving engine data and all sorts. On that basis I assumed it was far more than an OBDII reader and probably was Toyota/Lexus-specific. But I could be wrong.

There are various tests just involving resistance that the manual suggests you can carry out here, they might be useful to test the individual speed sensors.