Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I have just discovered a nasty stone chip to the bonnet. It is about 6/7mm diameter. The car is black (not metallic)When i got the car, i was given a little bottle of back paint and some lacquer. I think if i paint it in, i will have a smudge. If i leave it, i have a mark which if left untreated, may cause some further damage over time. If i paint it in and lacquer it, can the dealer do a neater job when i have it serviced or will that involve a bigger (more expensive) job. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

I have the car in black also. I dont have a single chip on the bonnet, but I'm getting chips on the leading edge of the rear doors. I've been told that mud flaps with stop this, no idea if its true or not.

What is certain is that the black paint chips and scratches very easily. It's a nightmare washing the car, new scratches every time. It looks fantasctic when clean, but I wont have black again.

I have the car in black also. I dont have a single chip on the bonnet, but I'm getting chips on the leading edge of the rear doors. I've been told that mud flaps with stop this, no idea if its true or not.

What is certain is that the black paint chips and scratches very easily. It's a nightmare washing the car, new scratches every time. It looks fantasctic when clean, but I wont have black again.

The advantage of black though is that it's by FAR the easiest colour to touch up.

And nothing looks as good as a truly clean shiny black car (even if that'll only last for 5 minutes) ;)

If mine is anything to go by it is, as I had flaps fitted a month or so from new and after 31K miles I have no chips on the doors. Have a few on the bonnet though and had plenty on the front spoiler and front panel until I had it resprayed and finished with Ceramiclear. No chips to speak of yet on the Ceramiclear finish, it obviously does 'what it says on the tin'. :)

@ Hando: That stuff looks quite cool, does it really work that well? I've got a minor scrape on my rear bumper, would it work on that? I was going to get chipsaway to sort it at some point - although this is expensive it would work out cheaper as it could mean touching up the stone chips too.

Does it harden on well? Doesn't appear to add any lacquer or anything on top so would it come off again if you used a polish like SRP?

@Tango: So the ceramiclear is working well then? I'll definitely have to remember that if I ever have any part of the front end resprayed (or possibly any part resprayed unless it's prohibitively more expensive?)

@Tango: So the ceramiclear is working well then? I'll definitely have to remember that if I ever have any part of the front end resprayed (or possibly any part resprayed unless it's prohibitively more expensive?)

It's not a lot more expensive than the useless OEM clear coat that was on there before. It's probably exceeded my expectations as there's no sign of roadrash at all on the front spoiler which appears to act like a snow plough on all the small debris kicked up on the motorway. It's relatively old technology now and if PPG have made further developments, although it looks as if it is aimed at the car plants rather than bodyshops. http://corporateportal.ppg.com/PPG/Feature...EM_Coatings.htm

@ Hando: That stuff looks quite cool, does it really work that well? I've got a minor scrape on my rear bumper, would it work on that? I was going to get chipsaway to sort it at some point - although this is expensive it would work out cheaper as it could mean touching up the stone chips too.

Does it harden on well? Doesn't appear to add any lacquer or anything on top so would it come off again if you used a polish like SRP?

It works very well indeed - it's not perfect though: you will always be able to see the stonechips even though others won't. Re: the scrape it depends on how deep it is but if not too deep then yes it should work fine.

Seems to harden well - I've used SRP on areas that I've treated (after waiting a few weeks) and it's been absolutely fine.

I had a bad experience on my first IS with chipsaway - the work wasn't very good and it was stupid expensive for what it was. However chipsaway is a franchise so it's only as good as the guy using it.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links