Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Car Battery Has Died, Life Expectancy?

Hello all,

I went to my car this morning, MK3 GS300, and all appeared as it should. The car unlocked, the steering wheel greeted me and the sat nav display lit up. When I pressed the start button the car remained silent apart from a rapid clicking noise and then the display dimmed. I knew this was a flat Battery. This has happened only once before, a Vauxhall cavalier. I left an interior light on.

I managed to get a jump from my wifes car, started ok and took it for a spin to get some charge.

My car has been stood for a while, a week perhaps, and in that time only used for two short trips to the shop. Could the Battery simply be discharged or after 4 years could it be dud?

I rang Lexus and they said I would be unlucky to have a dead Battery after only 4 years, are they right? They could offer no more and a test to check the Battery could only be done on Thursday, today being Monday, not good, not good at all. I'm busy about this week and need an answer. I rang Toyota who were only too pleased to see me tomorrow. A check will take only a few minutes and they will do the check and if needed replace the Battery. I am a bit disappointed that I wasn't offered more from Lexus as it is a quick procedure, anyway I'm going off topic. :angry:

I'm pleased with the replacement price though -£63.00.

Has anyone else needed to replace their Battery after a short time? 4 years to me sounds ok for the amount of stuff the car has to run, air con, sat nav, heaters, running the car etc.

4 years is a bit short, but if you keep using it for short journeys with all the kit switched on I suppose it could be low. Are you sure you didn't leave a light on this time, too?

Why not charge it up properly with a good two hour drive, and then see how it goes - though I can understand that for £63 you may want to avoid the risk of being stranded...

4 years is a bit short, but if you keep using it for short journeys with all the kit switched on I suppose it could be low. Are you sure you didn't leave a light on this time, too?

Why not charge it up properly with a good two hour drive, and then see how it goes - though I can understand that for £63 you may want to avoid the risk of being stranded...

Hi,

I'm sure nothing was left on, it was just the short trips perhaps coupled with a lifeless Battery, although as you say, a short life span. That's why I'm wondering if others have replace batteries so soon.

I'm hoping that I do need a new Battery, in some way this will ease the worry that something is draining it. I have just bought a trickle charger from Maplin, I'm hoping that this will help. I'll post back tomorrow to give an update!

Just a quick update.

The Battery has gone and Toyota will fit a new one in the morning. They said that if my car wouldn't start tomorrow they would come to my house to fit it! Now that is customer service. I'm a bit concerned that Lexus would not see me until Thursday to fix this problem, a 10 minute job and Toyota were only too happy to help.

My next service could go to Toyota.

May as well, it's a Toyota anyway!! :tomato:

My Battery went about 18 months ago, but that was because I left an interior light on for a week at the airport. It was never the same again, so I bought a new one too. Lexus Guildford don't have their own spares counter, so I had to go to the Toyota dealer next door too!

Lexus Guildford don't have their own spares counter, so I had to go to the Toyota dealer next door too!

Lexus Leeds also have the same setup- one counter supplies spares to both Lexus and Toyota cars (Both Lexus and Toyota garage are on the same site).

Lexus Guildford don't have their own spares counter, so I had to go to the Toyota dealer next door too!

Lexus Leeds also have the same setup- one counter supplies spares to both Lexus and Toyota cars (Both Lexus and Toyota garage are on the same site).

As does Lexus Derby.

My previous car was a Prius. The 12v Battery lasted 4.5 years before it showed signs of problems. Toyota had problems sourcing one so I used 3rd party one - Excide Jap series I think it was.

The forum I was a member of reckoned 4-5 years for a Battery was a good innings.

My IS200 O.E battery lasted just over 3 years from the delivery of the car. I'm not expecting the GS that I've replaced it with to last any longer!.

That makes me feel a little better, I think 4 years is fair enough for a Battery and a cheap enough item to replace.

Toyta said they didn't want to put anything other than an OE Battery in my car, they could have fitted an after market. The chap said the only difference between their Battery and a Lexus Battery is the sticker they stick on them, Toyota or Lexus. :P

I think it could be worth getting a quote for servicing from them, just because they have been so helpful!

My Battery on the 99 IS200 lasted about 6 years then would not start the car very well one day.

A new Battery was picked up from Lexus and fitted. I could not believe how quick the engine was spinning after that.

5 years is a typical lifetime.

I once bought a lifetime warranty Battery from Unipart (Blue one) and it was warrantied for as long as I kep the car.

Problem was I kept the car (Scimitar GTE) fro 17 years. During that time I had three lifetime batteries out of them, each one lasted 5 years :whistling:

mines done 5 years and will last the summer but no longer i fear...im only doing about 40 miles a week in it and you can tell on start up its getting tired

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links