Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Sony Vaio Vgn-p

Rabster

ok i have a brand spanking sony vaio and loving it, however i have a few gripes with it thought id see if anyone else has one, or these issues

when on the net watching videos is very jumpy

can be a bit slow on the uptake when using it going through programs etc

i have over 1.5gb free of ram most of the time i know the cpu isnt the most powerfull in the world but at times i think my HTC touch works faster lol

any suggetions of what might cause it and ways to speed it up

cheers

Rabs

i'm no 'techy', but did you get it from a shop? just a thought that you could go in and have a play with the shops version and compare, yours could be faulty??

or......send it back and get a mac :oops: :P

Seriously though a brand new computer shouldn't be slow IMO

yeah i got in from the sony shop in harlow i think its slow due to the amount of programs installed as standard on it going from what i can see will try un installing a few bits see if it speeds up

might try some speed checkers any suggestions

Rabs

i suggest buying a macbook!!

seriously, i got fed up after my 5th Hp laptop in 4 years broke with the same fault! so i took the plunge last weekand its the best pc/laptop i have ever owned. i can run Fm09, entourage, mail, messenger, keynote, multiple safari windows and the CPU and ram monitor shows its not even under ANY stress!!

sorry, i know that doesnt help..

1:pcpitstop.com you can run some online diagnsotics and will give you some clean up tips..

2:remove any virus checkersand install AVG, spydoctor and ccleaner.

3: run msconfig and check whats being loaded on startup

seriously, i got fed up after my 5th Hp laptop in 4 years broke with the same fault! so i took the plunge last weekand its the best pc/laptop i have ever owned. i can run Fm09, entourage, mail, messenger, keynote, multiple safari windows and the CPU and ram monitor shows its not even under ANY stress!!

1:pcpitstop.com you can run some online diagnsotics and will give you some clean up tips..

Did anyone see the gadget show on channel 5 last night.

They had a Sony Vaio, HP touch and a Mac and run comparisons with them. The Vaio and the HP both had 4GB of RAM and the Mac only had 2GB RAM.

The Mac won overall and i was surprised to see that it blitzed the competition in the performance test.

They had a Sony Vaio, HP touch and a Mac and run comparisons with them. The Vaio and the HP both had 4GB of RAM and the Mac only had 2GB RAM.

The Mac won overall and i was surprised to see that it blitzed the competition in the performance test.

Probably because of said already pre-loaded garbage slowing the PCs down :duh:

yeah it was via wireless my other laptop connects fine runs videos fine so i know its not the net connection its connected at 54mps on both machines some times it seems to run fairly fast like once its been on a while but other times not lol

im not a mac lover lol

OK back from my hols. Missed me?

redz_uk: About time. When you have figured out an iChat account, PM me and then I'll show you what it can REALLY do. :)

swfcdan: why on Earth were you surprised? I think I may have mentioned in the past - It is NOTHING to do with specs - it's all about the OS. Just like phones...

Rabster: Deadly serious. Take swfcdans "joke" advice and your performance concerns and software limitations will vanish. If you tried one you WOULD be a Mac lover.

Don't be fooled by the specs sheet. Install Windows on it and it may as well be a brick.

All the urban myths you "know" about Macs will disintegrate with every hour of use. Ask redz_uk.

PS Good luck with the Conficker virus tomorrow Windows users! :)

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-10207852-...torsPicksArea.0

Rabster - personally I find alot of the machines bought from the likes of HP/Dell/Acer (especially)/Sony have so much rubbish running in the back ground that its almost as if the manufacturers deliberately cripple the machines to being with!!

I would wipe it clean and just have Vista on with your drivers. Then just install the software you need. Job Done and it should run nicely.

To the guys suggesting buy a Mac - that would have been an option while the original poster was looking and researching into a machine; no point pointing it out now when he has already spent his hard earned money. :P

@Tyger - that cornflicker link scares me. Hope i have a quiet day at work tomorrow!! :unsure:

All the urban myths you "know" about Macs will disintegrate with every hour of use. Ask redz_uk.

its true..

the funniest thing for me was that microsoft office has better functionlity on a mac than on on its own platform!!

its not a hard transition from pc to mac at all and can be set up to work in a similar way.

@tyger - how doi set up this ichat thing then? PM might be better though!! :hehe:

@rabster - unfortunatley Sony have really lost there way on Laptops and idont rate them at all on £ vs Performance,i think you get a much better dealwith Dell! Sonys are probably the next best looking (after a mac)! :whistling:

i think to get the best out of it you will need to clean all of the bloatware off, rmv any AV stuff and try ones suggested and enusre that you modify the start up to only run tasks needed. PC pitstop is prob the easiest way to check performance.

good luck!

Is the P series those really tiny ones? Gotta say I thought it looked gorgeous when I saw one the other day, but I was confused how on earth it would run vista with an atom processor? The fact that you've said it's slow is not particularly surprising (as that's what I was thinking when I saw the specs)..........

Did you test one out before buying? And was it a lot quicker? I found that my 2.8ghz dual core PC with 3gb of ram was just about ok when running vista, I can't imagine what it's like with an atom.......

Don't want to get involved with the apple chat again but I've been trying really hard to get into the apple way of thinking and have to say I was leaning towards it (actually started recommending people to buy macs if they were looking for a new computer).

However, having just bought an iPod, I'm starting to fall back towards PCs. The iPod itself is great, but iTunes is shockingly bad, so if that's representative of what Apple's are like then it really wouldn't work (and installing windows on a mac machine seems like a pointless exercise seeing as the hardware is very similar nowadays)

Whats the prob with itunes? would be interested to know.

have used if for years and found it to be great..a little slow sometimes but i have an obscene amount of music and video..

i too cannot see vista running well on that spec machine although im happy to be proved wrong!

I got an Imac :o buy one get one free :D

Whats the prob with itunes? would be interested to know.

I've just found it really counterintuitive, it doesn't sort music very well (horrendously in fact) which requires you to spend hours sorting it out. Then it doesn't bring in album art even if it's there, and you have to add it manually. Finally it won't sync anything without erasing the whole iPod and starting again.

Thanks to Hando and others on here, using Winamp instead and it's such a simple program to use..........I'm sure if you buy all your music from itunes and sync to your ipod you probably won't have any problems - but as is usual with anything apple, introduce a third party into the mix and it just doesn't want to play anymore..........

That's what really worries me about all the other apple software that is supposed to be so simple to use (including the OS), if it's like iTunes then I wouldn't be happy.

well the machine comes with a 60gb hdd but only has 19.8 gb free so i guess they install tons of cack on it then lol

Vista can take up about 20gb itself though, plus I know that P series machine has all sorts of multimedia stuff on it - it's a fantastic thing on paper, but I still don't think it has the hardware to be able to do everything it's supposed to.

I got an Imac :o buy one get one free :D

Really? :ohmy:

I'd definitely first off try another one in store if you haven't already - I'm still thinking that Vista is a very heavy load for an Atom processor even ignoring anything else that may be on the machine.

I hadn't realised it was running an Atom processor. That's even more reason to try and make sure you're not running any unnecessary programs. As Parthiban said, Vista is a lot for an Atom to run, I'd have thought you'd be much better off with XP on it if that's an option (I bet if it's not a factory option there will be people who put XP on there anyway).

Take off all the Sony garbage that they've put on there, or even better reinstall from scratch and leave that stuff off (as others have suggested), and I'm sure it'll help.

I'm usin a Vaio VGN NR38S, I do find it slow sometimes and I put it down to having lots of random programs and things on, but as for streaming videos and watchin videos on the drive it has been absolutely fine, showing plenty of RAM spare, but i'm not a techy so I wouldn't know where to start with removing factory installed programs

Parthiban: iTunes is wonderful when you take time to learn it. Every frustration you have has a way to sort out. Patience!

Gord: lol you lot are having me on right!??

No i really have one, yes really, but they have sent me 2 :o as of today, they have not asked for the other back :D