Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Apple Mac Support

Tyger

This thread is for Mac users that need a helping hand.

There are many new Windows to Mac OS X switchers around here - This thread is for you!

Let's kick off with some links that should be the first place you look....

http://www.apple.com/support/switch101/

http://www.apple.com/support/mac101/

Still stuck? Want to know how to do something you have always done in Windows and not sure where to look?

Want to get the most out of Mac OS X?

Shoot ---->

How can I implement a directory watcher class to monitor network drives and move files to an encrypted local drive?

This thread is for Mac users needing help, not for people with nothing better to do trying to be clever.

Don't for one moment think I cannot answer your question. But your cover has been blown by comments in other threads.

Try not to spoil the thread for those genuinely needing help.

NEXT!

Not a Mac owner but can I ask an iTunes question based on what you were saying in the other thread? I want to give it another shot (perhaps I was missing something the first time round) why does it split out all my albums and not add album art to them when WMP and Winamp both do it with no problems?

Have I set something up wrong?

Not a Mac owner but can I ask an iTunes question based on what you were saying in the other thread? I want to give it another shot (perhaps I was missing something the first time round) why does it split out all my albums and not add album art to them when WMP and Winamp both do it with no problems?

Have I set something up wrong?

do you have an itunes account? this is free.

you can then select the option to dl missing artwork in the preferences menu under store.. this works for me for all commercially availiable cd's.

do you have an itunes account? this is free.

you can then select the option to dl missing artwork in the preferences menu under store.. this works for me for all commercially availiable cd's.

No I don't, but if WMP and Winamp are displaying album art, surely it's already embedded in the id tags?

How can I implement a directory watcher class to monitor network drives and move files to an encrypted local drive?

This thread is for Mac users needing help, not for people with nothing better to do trying to be clever.

Don't for one moment think I cannot answer your question. But your cover has been blown by comments in other threads.

Try not to spoil the thread for those genuinely needing help.

NEXT!

:lol:

FWIW, it is a serious question which I hoped would command a mature response. It would seem not.

p.s. I seem to remember Rabsters thread being a Windows laptop thread which you derailed with your mac preachings, Hence you deserved my "FFS" response.

Parthiban: redz is right. When you have an iTunes account you can DL and embed any album art that is available via the iTunes store. There are 3rd part freeware apps to gather album art also to fill in the gaps. I have no idea how Winamp etc uses album art. It seems they are NOT embedded in the ID tags else they would display I imagine. You could try getting a free iTunes account and see what happens.

By NOT using iTunes you are missing out on an end to end content delivery system second to none.

As for the albums being split up I am not sure I know what you mean. Can you explain in more detail?

Tigerfish: If you read the other thread carefully you will see Macs had been mentioned well before my post. You also quoted my comment about missing me and nothing else so your posting therefore made NO sense and didn't convey what you were trying to. I would like to believe you were asking a serious question, but we both know you thought you were posting something that 1) I wouldn't understand and 2) Mac OS X wasn't capable of. You are wrong on both counts. Let's leave it there.

Parthiban: redz is right. When you have an iTunes account you can DL and embed any album art that is available via the iTunes store. There are 3rd part freeware apps to gather album art also to fill in the gaps. I have no idea how Winamp etc uses album art. It seems they are NOT embedded in the ID tags else they would display I imagine.

As for the albums being split up I am not sure I know what you mean. Can you explain in more detail?

i think partiban means how they are saved in the itunes folder.

itunes is set by default to manage the files. when importing it will save them in the itunes folder in subfolders by artist then a further subfolder by album. in the instance of compiliation albums it does the same hence on the itunes root folder it will 'split up' the album by artist.

In itunes you then sort by whatever you like, album, artist etc. you can also turn this off..

I have a question a really silly and basic one!

I should really know by now as i've had an imac over a year, but oh well..

When you download a application or something, do you have to drag it from the download stack to your applications file and then run it?

Yep it's as redz says, they're not even compilations, but if an album has a lot of different collaborations on it, it splits them up into separate albums (as the artist on each track is different) and there doesn't seem to be a way to get them to group together without either manually changing the artist to all be the same, or by selecting all the tracks involved and setting them as 'part of a compilation'.

I would have persevered with it though if there seemed to be a benefit, but I can't find any particular benefits over using Winamp - in addition, I still need to be able to sync to devices other than the iPod so I need another piece of software too as iTunes just says no if you ask it to work with anything else :P

Hope you can help with this Tyger.

I offer support for a site that actually uses Mac's almost exclusively. They unfortunetly now have the need for their machines to communicate with a new Windows Server 2008 AD Domain which has been brought in (council place)

The migration job has been done by outside contractors and because the site has a wide range of Mac products they have only migrated machines running OSX 10.5 to the new AD domain.

They said that:

OSX 10.1 - 10.2 just won't work

OSX 10.3 - only limited and apparently very timeconsuming to do.

OSX 10.4 - only limited and apparently very timeconsuming to do.

OSX 10.5 - works ok

So basically around 70% of the machines can not fully become clients of the domain. Have you any tips on what I could do to try and get the OSX 10.3/4 machines working (mostly MacMinis and ibook G4) on the domain. Where they telling me the truth about OSX 10.1 - 10.4 or did they just want to get home early? :unsure:

Tigerfish: If you read the other thread carefully you will see Macs had been mentioned well before my post. You also quoted my comment about missing me and nothing else so your posting therefore made NO sense and didn't convey what you were trying to. I would like to believe you were asking a serious question, but we both know you thought you were posting something that 1) I wouldn't understand and 2) Mac OS X wasn't capable of. You are wrong on both counts. Let's leave it there.

I quoted that part of your text because as it happened, I hadn't missed you shaking.gif

However, as far as my question goes, I would hope you understand it and I would hope OS X was capable. If you don't know the answer, maybe someone who develops OS X apps could give me some pointers. Obviously, I am not interested in the answer to run Windows on the mac and use the app I have already written for that platform. Oh, and I do not want to use Java.

swfcdan: If you are downloading an app that doesn't auto mount and open (a virtual drive appears on your desktop and usually a window opens with a big icon and instructions telling you to drag it to the Applications folder) then yes it is best practice to drag it to your Apps folder and run it from there. You can drag it WTF you like in fact but it would make sense to put apps in the Apps folder...

You CAN run it from the downloads stack. This stack is simply a reflection of the Downloads folder in your Home folder. It would tidy things up to keep apps in the Apps folder. You can always drag it from the Apps folder into the Dock and create a shortcut to the app. This does not MOVE the app.

It sounds to me like you are a prime candidate for creating an iChat account and PMing me the account name. I think you are not quite aware of what you have sitting there...

Parthiban: Yes that's how it works. You can sort and group any way you like. But if it IS part of a compilation it makes sense to flag it as such right?

Anees: haha yes. In the past I employed some of the best Mac consultants in Europe to take good money off companies like that for doing just such migrations! You want to know how to do it for FREE!? ;) You ask a big question and I am afraid I cannot possibly answer in full 1) Because I am not a AD migration expert and 2) I just don't have the time. I know people who CAN answer your question but they charge £120 an hour! Many of them just put in an Xserve and migrated all their PC's to that! MUCH easier and cheaper!

All I can say is that they do have a point, but at the same time they may be saying that because it is quite hard work and they may not be capable of doing it.

10.1 and 10.2 - Any machines on this OS should have the OS upgraded. You'd have to check to see the min specs but most Macs worth keeping alive can almost definitely run 10.3 and most 10.4. I am surprised the contractor didn't offer this service to extort more cash. Shame on them! Any machine that can't run at least 10.3 is really obsolete and not worth bothering with. I would say that once upgraded then any remaining machines are worth migrating.

10.3 - Yes I'd agree this is a hassle and you get limited functionality. Is it worth it? 10.3 is old and limited by today's standards. Any machine currently running 10.3 fine should be able to be upgraded to 10.4 at least. Is it possible? Yes.

10.4 - They should be able to migrate 10.4 machines without much trouble. Sounds like they are jessying out. It isn't as easy as 10.5 but no biggie really. Upgrade any machines possible to 10.5...

10.5 - Easy.

Some links that may be useful...

http://www.macwindows.com/AD.html

http://tech.ait.iastate.edu/macosx/how-to/...Directory.shtml

http://www.apple.com/business/solutions/it/

Sorry I don't have the time to answer more fully, but to do so is some serious work.