Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Steering Self-centering

Hi,

Son has gone overseas for a year or 2 and left us his W Reg IS200 sport.

When driving straight, you have to make little adjustments all the time as it doesn't seem to want to track straight & level.

The steering feels very weird to me. It hardly wants to self-centre at all - when turning you have to really haul it back to the straight ahead.

Tyres are fine in terms of tread and pressures and i had the tracking checked and it was OK. Passed it's MOT a month ago with no advisories.

Any suggestions on what else to look at??

Thanks

Steve

Take it to WIM (Wheels in Motion, in Chesham in Bucks). See their website here.

Getting the tracking set by a garage will have used the OEM settings, which seem to be non-optimal (i.e. wrong, basically). A full geometry setup (involving more than you probably had done at your own garage) to the settings worked out by WIM will probably do wonders for the handling of your car, you'll be amazed at the difference !

By the way, my car used to feel very nervous at motorway speeds and needed constant correction. All fixed after a trip to WIM.

Thanks - will try and arrange a trip there in a month or so when I have some spare time B)

Sorry to sound like a broken record, but WIM will work wonders on your car. Having to really haul your steering back to the straight-ahead doesn't sound right at all. Even if a geometry setup doesn't fix that, WIM's (very expensive !) diagnostic machines will be able to see if there's anything wrong there, e.g. damaged suspension.

Anyone know where to get my geometry done in the Aberdeen area?????

Ta.

Col B)

Take it to WIM (Wheels in Motion, in Chesham in Bucks). See their website here.

Getting the tracking set by a garage will have used the OEM settings, which seem to be non-optimal (i.e. wrong, basically). A full geometry setup (involving more than you probably had done at your own garage) to the settings worked out by WIM will probably do wonders for the handling of your car, you'll be amazed at the difference !