Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Fuel Additive....which One Works, Is It Safe?

Just wondering if its ok to use a fuel additive (injector fuel system cleaner) on my IS200 Sport? This is the newest car I have ever owned so not sure if it would help/harm such a complex engine?

Also if they are ok which one is the one to go for? There are a good few. STP, Redex, Wynns, Nitrox etc etc

Someones been to Halfords lol. There always a mix feelings about fuel additives, me personally wouldn't touch them because my engine is fine (touch wood) and adding something like additives might create more problems later on. As they say, if its not broken, don't try and fix it lol.

Mostly they are a waste of money unless you've got a really gunged up system. Don't forget that there are already fuel additives (detergents) that are already added to the fuel that you buy, and, these should be sufficient to keep your engine and injectors working properly. So.. keep yer dosh mate....

Col... :winky:

Just wondering if its ok to use a fuel additive (injector fuel system cleaner) on my IS200 Sport? This is the newest car I have ever owned so not sure if it would help/harm such a complex engine?

Also if they are ok which one is the one to go for? There are a good few. STP, Redex, Wynns, Nitrox etc etc

This area of fuel addtives is extremely grey. Whilst all, or most, fuels contain additives, what are they, which ones are in which fuels. If you buy something these days you can look at the container and it shows ALL the ingredients. When it comes to fuels all you are told is that it "conforms to BS standards". As I understand it, supermarket fuels either have no additives, or are less than those at normal petrol stations.

If there is any truth in this, then we need to supplement supermarket fuels with additives to protect our expensive engines. In fact there is an argument to buy the cheapest fuel and supplement it with additives, just to be sure. Otherwise we are leaving a lot to chance. What if the fuel delivered to a petrol station did not have any additives, "due to error". How many of us have refuelled with our usual petrol and found that the performance was a bit down or the fuel consuption was higher.

Supermarkets don't tell us where their fuel comes from. They don't have their own refineries. It would be nice to know. Maybe they can't sell as, say Esso or Shell, because it is different to those in the additive department.

Sounds like a motoring show or Watchdog should look at this.

I used to drive a tanker for Shell then for Tesco, its all mixed up in a bucket and shared around so to speak, the lorries fill up at the same pumps and use the same fuel. The problem Tesco had a couple of years ago with some cars fuelling at their stations was only a coin flip if Shell got the problem or them.

Things may well have changed but that is how it was when I was driving Petrol tankers - very good money if anyone fancies a career change!!

Thanks for helpful replies

I used to use STP injector cleaner on my old Pug 205 1.9 GTI as recomended by a mechanic, never knew if it worked or did anything!!

Yeldarb I see your from Milton Keynes.....so are we!! We are Wolverton end, 2 mins from Stony Stratford.

Used Red-X in mine a few times, seems to make it abit smoother on pick up but that may just be in my head :duh: can't do any harm tho at the end of the day there tested to help clean out the system and wouldn't be big business if they done any harm :)

Some system cleaners are usfull, most though just dont do anything at all and these are likes of some fancy names on high street shelves.

I guess it depends what you are looking for the system cleaner to do?

Cheers

Guy

Thanks for helpful replies

I used to use STP injector cleaner on my old Pug 205 1.9 GTI as recomended by a mechanic, never knew if it worked or did anything!!

Yeldarb I see your from Milton Keynes.....so are we!! We are Wolverton end, 2 mins from Stony Stratford.

Sorry just noticed your reply!! I am near Emerson Valley, so only just down the road.

I throw a redex in the tank every few thousand miles, im assuming it does something good to the engine, or nothing at all, and nothing negative. its a fiver a pop so worth a go to help prolong the engine's life??

This area of fuel addtives is extremely grey. Whilst all, or most, fuels contain additives, what are they, which ones are in which fuels. If you buy something these days you can look at the container and it shows ALL the ingredients. When it comes to fuels all you are told is that it "conforms to BS standards". As I understand it, supermarket fuels either have no additives, or are less than those at normal petrol stations.

This is absolute bollocks, as someone who used to work in an oil refinery, I can tell you that the fuel you get at supermarket pumps is exactly the same as what you get if you were to fill up at BP, Shell, Esso, Texaco or any other for that matter.

I used to work for BP and we used to get most supermarket tankers fill up at our terminal, plus Shell, Esso and other large manufacturers. They all buy fuel off each other and it's all the same. You could have a Sainsbury's tanker and BP tanker filling up at the same time, next to each other, same fuel, just a different label.

For example, a Texaco tanker wouldn't fill up in West Wales at the Texaco refinery to travel to Essex to pump it into a Texaco fuel station, they would just buy it from BP in Essex and fill the pumps with that. It's all exactly the same, there is no such thing as supermarket grade fuel which you read about very often on forums.

This is absolute bollocks, as someone who used to work in an oil refinery, I can tell you that the fuel you get at supermarket pumps is exactly the same as what you get if you were to fill up at BP, Shell, Esso, Texaco or any other for that matter.

I used to work for BP and we used to get most supermarket tankers fill up at our terminal, plus Shell, Esso and other large manufacturers. They all buy fuel off each other and it's all the same. You could have a Sainsbury's tanker and BP tanker filling up at the same time, next to each other, same fuel, just a different label.

For example, a Texaco tanker wouldn't fill up in West Wales at the Texaco refinery to travel to Essex to pump it into a Texaco fuel station, they would just buy it from BP in Essex and fill the pumps with that. It's all exactly the same, there is no such thing as supermarket grade fuel which you read about very often on forums.

so on that basis the shell v-power is just the same as tesco 99 RON super then??

i honestly dont agree about the fuel supermarket fuel is definatly different , fill up with sainsburys or tesco run the fuel off and just check the burn on your spark plugs as you will see a poor fuel burn!!!!! uneven burn (which does proove the point hopefully) i dont ever use supermarket fuels

and as for fuel treatments recommend FORTE GAS TREATMENT www.goodgaragescheme.com someone there would be in your area to sell it to you

so on that basis the shell v-power is just the same as tesco 99 RON super then??

wainting for answer...

• 1 month later...

Just to confirm with you guys that the petrol that is sent to supermarkets is the exact same as standard 95ron petrol in your bp, esso garage whatever. I know because i work at the refinery that supplies the whole north of england/ scotland so dont be put off by the myths that supermarket fuel burns worse etc. The only way petrol varies is from refinery to refinery.

check ams oil http://www.amsoiluk.com/

they have good products. not heard here in UK more because its an american product. WE have used it for lona time and performance car even..the bad thing in UK is that less product to chose and not alot of places to buy. But in comes to engine oil fully synthetic will run for 25,000 orr ((30,000 if you use there oil filter). they have also the fuel additive which is good for 4,000 to clean the engine etc which in turn gives you a better milleage. but check the products. expensive but worth it.. let me know

they have good products. not heard here in UK more because its an american product. WE have used it for lona time and performance car even..the bad thing in UK is that less product to chose and not alot of places to buy. But in comes to engine oil fully synthetic will run for 25,000 orr ((30,000 if you use there oil filter). they have also the fuel additive which is good for 4,000 to clean the engine etc which in turn gives you a better milleage. but check the products. expensive but worth it.. let me know

How much ? :ohmy:

Opie Oils have 5L of Fuchs fully synthetic 5W30 for just £20, and that's before club discount. I also wouldn't extend my oil change interval just because I was using better oil.

How much ? :ohmy:

Opie Oils have 5L of Fuchs fully synthetic 5W30 for just £20, and that's before club discount. I also wouldn't extend my oil change interval just because I was using better oil.

dude that a better engine oil thought , intervals usually it depends on how your drive you can change it ever 10k miles but even in USA we change it every 3k-but this oil is better

Been told Asda are the exception from the rest of the chains, aparently they get theres from Russia, so was advised to put Redex in every few thousand if using Asda.

Dont know if thats bull**** or not, maybe someone can correct me on this matter. :winky:

better idea..............fuel cleaner approx £10-20 keep your money and fill your car up with vpower,it will cost you approx £3.90 more per tank if you put 65lts of vpower in your car(6p more a lrt than normal unleaded) and it will do the same job as the cleaner if not better!!!