Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Condensation/leak In Headlight

Hi all,

One of my headlight assemblys is suffering from condensation. The glass is not cracked so can I assume the seal is leaking somewhere?

Saving the purchase of a new unit, can I simply heat up the lamp - evaporating the condensation - and then re-seal the assembly with some silicone?

Has anyone else tried this?

The condensation looks lousy compared to the otherside of the car :-(

Cheers

Bill

You can put the headlamps in the oven to seperate them then re-glue and re-seal them, if your going to do this tho you may want to look into taking the orange plastic bit away from the indicators and geting orange flashing bulbs instead, looks much cleaner, there's something on here about splitting headlamps just do a search you'll find it or someone will find it for you.

mmmmm....baked headlamp, my fav ;-)

Cool cool....I did the same thing on my fiesta headlights...just checking the Lexus lamps are sealed with the same guey stuff so I can just reseal it rather than getting a new lamp costing £100!

Cheers

Sorry if this seems like a silly question, but have you checked that all your bulbs are firmly inserted into the headlight ? One could be loose and letting in damp air into the headlight.

Course, will check that first....

...or before removing any parts, get a towel, fold it over a couple of times. Place over effected headlight, turn on main and full beams for about 10 mins. That should clear any condensation. Worked for me, and i got the tip from here.

...or before removing any parts, get a towel, fold it over a couple of times. Place over effected headlight, turn on main and full beams for about 10 mins. That should clear any condensation. Worked for me, and i got the tip from here.

Nifty little tip there mate....but I still gotta remove the lamp to re-seal it...

Cheers

I did exactly the same thing and was surprised how well it worked, all the condensation went away, however by the time i had driven about 4 miles to my mates house, in the broad sunny day time it had steamed back up again!

I'll be opening them up adding some halos and de-tangoing them soon...