Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rattle Or Tapping Noise From Boot Or Parcel Shelf

I have a problem with an occasional tapping noise (a bit like a fingernail tapping gently on the metal casing of a pc) which is coming from the rear of the car (250 SE-L mm). I did previously have a major rattle problem from there. Lexus Leicester fitted a new rear sun blind under warranty, and padded out various other things at the back, but I would say the tap-tap noise is the same problem - reduced rather than cured.

I have read of others who have had rear end creaks or rattles in IS or GS models but does anyone have any idea as to what this tapping noise might be? Must be two surfaces touching (it is a rattle or tapping, not a creaking noise) and I don't think it is sun or heat related (but will monitor that possibility).

It seems to me there is too much play in the upper boot lining where the boot light is. Pushing on that I can easily create a tapping noise.

If it is indeed the sun blind and a new one still makes some noise, might removal and storage of the blind be a solution? Or de-activate it and pack it so that it cannot move at all?

Has anyone had rattle problems with the rear speakers? That is one area I have not explored so far

Anybody?

I trawled through part of the LEXUS owners USA website last night and came across one rear end rattle case in which they suspected the cable for the parking brake. Thinking about it, the worst case I had was after leaving it for an hour on a steeply sloping driveway with the brake hard on, and the rattle began almost as soon as I released the brake, engaged reverse and backed down onto the road. It stopped about two hours later. The car was also standing in the sun that morning - stetching, expanding in the heat = too much play in the cable...??

Is this possible? If so, I assume that tightening the cable should solve it.

Well it isn't the brake cable it seems, nor is it the parcel shelf because Lexus Leicester say the rattle continued from the back even with the entire shelf removed. Having previously replaced the rear sunblind (oops) they now propose to remove and reseat the rear screen. It does seem to be heat /sunlight related.

For five years Lexus Leicester saw me once a year for the annual service on my 200 sport. Now they see me about once a fortnight. Oh well. I had better explain before I take it back in that the brake squeal they fixed (at the second attempt) with new pads two weeks ago seems to be making a comeback - not too bad as yet but we shall see. Pity because they did seem to have cured it.

Has anyone had that rear screen fix done? Does it work?

Well it isn't the brake cable it seems, nor is it the parcel shelf because Lexus Leicester say the rattle continued from the back even with the entire shelf removed. Having previously replaced the rear sunblind (oops) they now propose to remove and reseat the rear screen. It does seem to be heat /sunlight related.

For five years Lexus Leicester saw me once a year for the annual service on my 200 sport. Now they see me about once a fortnight. Oh well. I had better explain before I take it back in that the brake squeal they fixed (at the second attempt) with new pads two weeks ago seems to be making a comeback - not too bad as yet but we shall see. Pity because they did seem to have cured it.

Not had the rear screen fix done what is it?

But i do have a very similar rattle to you. mine isnt there all the time and it appears to be heat / sun light related sounds very "tinny" to me it sounds like its coming from the back seat???

One thing i have tried a couple of times is to pull over give the rear seat a whack! (very techinical fix this) just against the seat itself on the vertical section, and also open and close the hatch thing (is it supposed to be for ski's?.... very useful in kent! :P ) that seams to cure it. As mine is very intermittant, i have not really had chance to...

A:- Sit someone in the back and try all of the above to try and narrow it down...

or

B:- To get chance to keep pulling over and try all of the things if on my own ..... this is of course a right pain in the butt... pull over.. seat belt off ..door open ...in the back of car... do some whacking ..shut rear door ...back in front.. seat belt on.. drive off.. do half a mile ...hear the noise... find somewhere to pull over .....belt off ..etc ..etc ..etc :tsktsk:

Keep us posted if you find a cure! mine is not really that annoying as it seams to be there for about 5mins then goes and its probably only there about once a week or so. but it would drive me to distraction if it was there all the time i am sure

I get the same tapping noise from the rear parcel shelf when the car has been sitting in the sun on a hot day. It doesn't happen on any other occasion.

On the basis that it happens infrequently, and if I take it to a dealership it certainly won't manifest itself, I put up with it. If the worst thing this car can throw at me is a squeak from the back, I'm happy. Certainly after having several less than reliable German cars...

• 4 weeks later...

It seems that the problem has been fixed (at last) by installation of a new rear windscreen. Taking the old one out and refitting it was tried but did not work.

Odd that a faulty rear screen could make such noises.

• 4 weeks later...

Not had the rear screen fix done what is it?

But i do have a very similar rattle to you. mine isnt there all the time and it appears to be heat / sun light related sounds very "tinny" to me it sounds like its coming from the back seat???

One thing i have tried a couple of times is to pull over give the rear seat a whack! (very techinical fix this) just against the seat itself on the vertical section, and also open and close the hatch thing (is it supposed to be for ski's?.... very useful in kent! :P ) that seams to cure it. As mine is very intermittant, i have not really had chance to...

A:- Sit someone in the back and try all of the above to try and narrow it down...

or

B:- To get chance to keep pulling over and try all of the things if on my own ..... this is of course a right pain in the butt... pull over.. seat belt off ..door open ...in the back of car... do some whacking ..shut rear door ...back in front.. seat belt on.. drive off.. do half a mile ...hear the noise... find somewhere to pull over .....belt off ..etc ..etc ..etc :tsktsk:

Keep us posted if you find a cure! mine is not really that annoying as it seams to be there for about 5mins then goes and its probably only there about once a week or so. but it would drive me to distraction if it was there all the time i am sure

I have done this and it seems to have done the trick. No hint of any noises even the warm spell we have had the last few days . :shifty:

• 2 years later...

Dont mean to rake this old thread up for the sake of it but just wanted to share my experiences in the IS220D SE-L

I had one of those unlivable rattles in the boot, it was that noisy. Trying to narrow down where it was coming from i drove around with the boot open and the rattle went. I then investigated the under the trim on the boot lid and found one of the velcro strips had came loose from the main part of the boot lid. I restuck this and the rattle went so i thought i had solved it. Unfortunately it came back so after getting drove around whilst lying in the boot i couldnt quite locate where the noise was coming from so i stripped the whole trim off the boot lid and upon feeling around a few things to see exactly what could be making the noise i managed to come across something which exactly replicated the noise.

It turns out it was some of the wiring running to the center tapping and rattling against the metal of the boot lid. I got some double sided sticky pads and stuck them inbetween any wires that could come into contact with the metal.

It doesnt look pretty under there but its done the job and the trim covers it all up anyway.

Hope it can be of help to anyone.

Hi Astr4twin, I had the same problem as you regarding the rattle from the boot lid. I just pulled the carpet cover off and stuck on a sheet of foam sound absorber across the whole thing.

It's an acoustic layer used nomally by car stereo types. They use it to stop trim rattles. It did the trick for me. In fact I've used the stuff all over the car to stop rattles! Behind all the door panels, behind the sat nav, under the centre console,in the boot and even in the rear view mirror!. Great stuff, car feels solid now and whisper quiet.

Shouldn't have to do this on a car like this but the rattles were driving me crazy!

That sounds like a good idea, if it comes back i will certainly be installing some of that. I researched quite a bit using this site before buying the car and most of the faults people have found i seem to be experiencing unfortunately.

I also had a rattle in the dash. At first it sounded like it was right behind the centre air vents and sounded like something quite heavy was banging around. I turns out it was the cover for the centre speaker of all things. I couldnt quite believe it was just that which was making all that noise but a bit of packing seems to have sorted it.

I also have a slight squeeking noise in the front passenger door but it is livable with so i have left it for now.

I too cant believe a car like this is causing so many rattles. Out of all the cars i have owned and various rattles i have never experienced one as noisy as the one in the boot and wouldnt have been able to live with the car if it had carried on.

I will certainly be trying out what you suggested if it comes back as i have already spent too much time hoping back in and out of the car trying to fix the problem.

That sounds like a good idea, if it comes back i will certainly be installing some of that. I researched quite a bit using this site before buying the car and most of the faults people have found i seem to be experiencing unfortunately.

I also had a rattle in the dash. At first it sounded like it was right behind the centre air vents and sounded like something quite heavy was banging around. I turns out it was the cover for the centre speaker of all things. I couldnt quite believe it was just that which was making all that noise but a bit of packing seems to have sorted it.

I also have a slight squeeking noise in the front passenger door but it is livable with so i have left it for now.

I too cant believe a car like this is causing so many rattles. Out of all the cars i have owned and various rattles i have never experienced one as noisy as the one in the boot and wouldnt have been able to live with the car if it had carried on.

I will certainly be trying out what you suggested if it comes back as i have already spent too much time hoping back in and out of the car trying to fix the problem.

The rattle in the passenger door could be coming from the metal trim at the top of the door. Its a known problem. The metal clips erode the plastic housing with movement. This consequently creates play

and thats the noise you hear. Solution is to place felt around the clip housing and open up the clips abit to get them to sit tighter.

You will be shocked when you see whats behind the panel, just not well made.

post-25634-0-12478200-1307567823.jpg

The black foam in the picture is what i have added on all the door cards etc. very good for rattles. Also have added sound deadening in the door skins because i thought i might as well as all the door panels were

taken off anyway. This incidentally has improved the sound of the mark levinson system. Not something i would normally do but like yourself i think i was suffering from all the possible rattles that were listed on here

just got fed up!

However I still like my car. One of the best looking cars in its class in my opinion:

post-25634-0-32711100-1307569322.jpg

(sorry abit blurred)

Full Lexus GFX kit, boot spoiler and 18" Baransu alloys, Love it! biggrin.gif