Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Caravaners To Pay Road Tax.

zaph

Just going through my e-mails just now, and a friend sent me this story. About time, too I reckon.

The average caravan does not spend a great deal of time on the road. MOT wise there is not much to check...brakes,lights,bearings,hitch. If you want to tax caravans then what about horse trailers, goods trailers, in fact ALL trailers. The wear on roads caused by caravans is minimal.

Just going through my e-mails just now, and a friend sent me this story. About time, too I reckon.

The average caravan does not spend a great deal of time on the road. MOT wise there is not much to check...brakes,lights,bearings,hitch. If you want to tax caravans then what about horse trailers, goods trailers, in fact ALL trailers. The wear on roads caused by caravans is minimal.

but then the average time i spend on the road dont tally up to £210 quids worth of yearly road tax either so why should we all pay so much when i only do like 8 miles a day? tax everything or nothing at all simples! we all use the roads and for those pulling a trailor caravan etc they put extra strain on the car lorry pulling it causing it to use more fuel and become less economical so surely they should be charged more for slowing down all the other traffic or charge them a country wide congestion charge if you over a certain length of a standard car!

but then the average time i spend on the road dont tally up to £210 quids worth of yearly road tax either so why should we all pay so much when i only do like 8 miles a day? tax everything or nothing at all simples! we all use the roads and for those pulling a trailor caravan etc they put extra strain on the car lorry pulling it causing it to use more fuel and become less economical so surely they should be charged more for slowing down all the other traffic or charge them a country wide congestion charge if you over a certain length of a standard car!

Your £210 road tax equates to around 50p per day, 6p per mile assuming you only do 8 miles a day at weekends too..annual mileage of under 3k?

I used to do around 50k annually but now do nearer 6k and pay same tax as when doing the higher mileage. It is worth remembering that the more miles you drive the more duty/tax/vat you will pay on fuel,tyres,oils etc. as is the case when towing and using more fuel. Your road tax no longer goes directly to roads or indeed any part of the transport infrastructure. The obvious solution would be to abolish road tax and put a levy of around 0.5p per litre of fuel. This would mean that anyone towing would be paying more. Also the tax would be fairer as tax paid would relate directly to mileage, car size/economy and would have the benefit that stopping tax evasion and making foreign vehicles pay to use our roads (if they buy fuel here)

As for slowing traffic, responsible towers cause very few problems. It is the inconsiderate few who load caravans poorly and don't really know how to tow. It should be compulsory to be tested before being allowed to tow anything.

Your road tax no longer goes directly to roads or indeed any part of the transport infrastructure. The obvious solution would be to abolish road tax and put a levy of around 0.5p per litre of fuel. This would mean that anyone towing would be paying more. Also the tax would be fairer as tax paid would relate directly to mileage, car size/economy and would have the benefit that stopping tax evasion and making foreign vehicles pay to use our roads (if they buy fuel here)

agree totally, and so much more simple to implement

Apparently you can avoid caravan excise duty by allowing an MP to claim second home allowance on it.

I order to allow more caravanners to take this option, the second home allowance is to be extended to all civil servants.

EDIT:

Damn! It's past midday.