Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

In todays climate, I consider the Mk-III ('95-'97)the best model...... most economical, according to manufacturer specs.

I get average 25mpg overall and over 30mpg on a motorway run at 65mph.

Certainly not an april fools joke, my budget is low at £1,200 and there are some nice examples around under and just above this price range, I have had some kind offers from here and am considering those. Currently bidding for one on eBay which fits my budget with full history and all work done; also searching auto trader. Im in no rush, just searching for the “right” car. Any other information about which year to buy, what to look out for etc, fully appreciated. The car I would hope to purchase will have everything working and not need work doing to it. I will be a mature owner and only using the car every other week; have owned jags and mercs and guess its now time to own a “real car”. Thanks Ivan

Hi Ivan

make sure the cambelt has been done or doesn,t need changing soon 63000 mile intervals, a lot of the cheap ones you see at around the 130k mark havent had their second belt change as its an expensive job, hence they are sold on, if you have time you will get a good mark3 for £1200 , if you are really brave you will get a mark 4 for that at auction ( could be buying trouble though)

best of luck Mark

Thank you mark for your advice, much appreciated, after reading all the posts on here I am getting the picture about the 400s; yes, what you are saying I am fully aware of; I have plenty of time on my hands and will only purchase what I consider to be the “right one”. Mileage doesnt seem to be a worry with the 400s as long as it has full lexus history. Plenty on eBay, some could be good, but not going there; would you believe, there is a 97 on auto trader for less than £1,500. But . . . no history! I did take the time during my lunch hour today to go and look at the car, which according to their website was only 5 miles from my works address, having nipped out to look, no sign of the garage concerned. A quick phone call and the guy informed me that they have no premises, just a lock up 20 miles away. Needless to say I didnt bother pursuing the car. I would sooner purchase an old car that has been properly maintained with the body and everything else in good order. This has stood me in good stead over the years. I purchased a brand new Audi TT 4 years ago, convertible, not impressed. Now gone, total loss off £14,000!! Not going that route again.

Once again, thank you Mike

• 2 weeks later...
is ure numberplate n615...?

Yes indeed it is, N615 PYP - did you own the car, if you did; i must congratulate you on taking care of a lovely car, can you email me on iward@adsfab.com

would appreciate your input and details of the car whilst in ownership, thanks ivan

wow, this is a huge coincidence. i have something special to show you. firstly i would like to say, i didnt own the car. however im always on the autotrader browsing around, secondly. u would like to say u have one of the best ls`s around. and i will show u why in a second.

we have recently bought a ls400 same shape and we a restoring it. i i remember there being one on wheelers dealer. that is all i will say for now.. enjoy mate.