Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Bought a 2001 rx300 and discovered that the one key I got is the valet one. I need a spare making but lexus manchester want £1800 plus for new ECU etc. Anyone know of anywhere who can do it for less ? or possibly would be able to do the copy from a valet key?

IIRC (and I fully stand to be corrected) - you can cut the blade, but cannot have the full functionality offered by the 'master keys' because your Valet key doesn't allow for this. Sounds about right that the Dealer wants to change the ECU etc. to recode and that would be the proper belt and braces job - perhaps there is another way round it.

Bought a 2001 rx300 and discovered that the one key I got is the valet one. I need a spare making but lexus manchester want £1800 plus for new ECU etc. Anyone know of anywhere who can do it for less ? or possibly would be able to do the copy from a valet key?

Sounds spot on for costs for the problem you have.

The valet key can't be used to reproduce any "master" keys and, as things stand, if you lose that key or it fails you are completely stuffed.

If the previous owner has the key number it might help. Look through all the original documentation that was provided with the car just in case you have that printed in there somewhere from the point of sale when the car was new.

Whoever sold you this car should have the keys. If not, legally, you can go back to them for the costs, even if it were a private seller.

In the latter case it might be wise to "negotiate" a refund of some of the purchase price - assuming you wish to keep the car after this has come to light.

Anything sold has to be "fit for purpose" & without at least one master key the car is evidently not, because if the valet key failed (chips can fail) then the car is unusable & keys cannot be obtained - the whole system has to be replaced - at considerable cost.

Personally, I would offer the seller a choice, pay for or resolve the problem to your satisfaction, or, alternatively, refund your money & take the car back - there's always another car.

If the seller tries to argue that the price paid reflected this issue it MUST be stated on the receipt & have been explained to you before you handed over the payment.

Without these two criteria the seller hasn't got any defence, it would be considered deception if it went to court because pertinent information was not declared.

IIRC (and I fully stand to be corrected) - you can cut the blade, but cannot have the full functionality offered by the 'master keys' because your Valet key doesn't allow for this. Sounds about right that the Dealer wants to change the ECU etc. to recode and that would be the proper belt and braces job - perhaps there is another way round it.

Over & above the previous post....................... if the car hasn't been recently purchased try these links, they might help - no experience of them, but any port in a storm & all that......

http://www.mycarkeys.co.uk/

http://www.cheaptoyotaparts.co.uk/

Both claim to be able to help with this kind of situation.

Whoever sold you this car should have the keys. If not, legally, you can go back to them for the costs, even if it were a private seller.

Sorry, but I don't agree with this. You have zero comeback if you are buying a car privately...and I mean zero.

Let me explain why. IF I were the Seller and the Buyer came back with something like this, then I'd reply:

"When you bought the car I gave you the master key(s), not my problem you have lost it."

..and where would you go from here? No where.

However, your advice holds IF the car was bought from a Trader of any type. This is one of the reasons why, when you buy any of these 'modern' vehicles, you need to make sure you get 'proper' key(s) from the Seller...asgetting hold of masters can be costly and a PITA.

The valet key can't be used to reproduce any "master" keys and, as things stand, if you lose that key or it fails you are completely stuffed.

If the previous owner has the key number it might help. Look through all the original documentation that was provided with the car just in case you have that printed in there somewhere from the point of sale when the car was new.

In the latter case it might be wise to "negotiate" a refund of some of the purchase price - assuming you wish to keep the car after this has come to light.

Anything sold has to be "fit for purpose" & without at least one master key the car is evidently not, because if the valet key failed (chips can fail) then the car is unusable & keys cannot be obtained - the whole system has to be replaced - at considerable cost.

Personally, I would offer the seller a choice, pay for or resolve the problem to your satisfaction, or, alternatively, refund your money & take the car back - there's always another car.

If the seller tries to argue that the price paid reflected this issue it MUST be stated on the receipt & have been explained to you before you handed over the payment.

Without these two criteria the seller hasn't got any defence, it would be considered deception if it went to court because pertinent information was not declared.

Over & above the previous post....................... if the car hasn't been recently purchased try these links, they might help - no experience of them, but any port in a storm & all that......

http://www.mycarkeys.co.uk/

http://www.cheaptoyotaparts.co.uk/

Both claim to be able to help with this kind of situation.

Your link to "mycarkeys" has solved my problem. Cheers and keep your fingers crossed that all works out next week. I am getting a blank cut by lexus and carl from coventry (mycarkeys.co.uk) will come out and do the busiess for 350 plus 75 for key. So RESULT. Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction . Martin