Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Power Steering Wirr

Hiya guys, im confuzzled here.

When i pull off and turn my wheels at extremely slow speed i hear a reaaly loud whistle/wirr. its quite embarrassing! I've checked the fluid and seems to be full. Any ideas??

It happens quite often when you first start your car, or when it’s cold or damp.

There is a sticky spray can you can buy to spray on the belt to give it a little more grip, which usually works untill it gets warm, or you could just replace the belt.

i started it up this morning and stood outside the car and it sounds like a belt is slipping just when its idleing. and then if i move the steering wheel it gets louder. i hate noises!! What should i do u reckon?

• 3 weeks later...

I've got the same problem. Just checked the car manual and all 3 external drive belts should be changed at 6 years/60K miles. I notice you can get them on E-Bay for £30 inc. delivery. Funny I had never thought that a failed power steering belt could be so dangerous, but it is obvious when you think about it. Should be on the MOT.

This now means that these belts should join the timing belt at 60K miles.

I would tighten it except it seems tight enough already and I would be scared of damaging the power steering unit bearing.

I've just found that FRAM can provide all 3 belts for £15.27 (delivered). Or you can buy them separately for a few quid.

• 1 month later...

All 3 belts seem in good nick and tight enough so I thought, "what if the belt is contaminated with the oily mist and muck in your typical engine bay and they just need a clean". So I got an old clean touthbrush and some soapy liquid and gave the power steering belt and pulleys as good a clean as I could with the limited access. I then turned the engine over to expose another section of belt and cleaned again. Result, so far, no noise whatsoever. Worth a try because it's free and there's nothing to lose.