Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Transmission Choice

unit_g83

Hi All,

so, contrary to the concept of why the website exists, im not a Lexus owner yet, though I am looking to become one. I am looking at the IS 250. It took some time to figure out the differences between the IS models ( SE, SE-I, SE-L, SR) and im not too fussed as long as i get leather interior, sat nav, and the Mark Levinson audio system. I am a newly passed driver, and have felt that Manual cars are generally the norm in UK, but having a look around at the cars Lexus owners have generaly purchased via the Pre-Owned site, I'm seeing that for every one manual car available, there's about 15-20 automatic cars. I am a new driver and I've never driven an automatic, and i really can't decide if i should go for a manual or auto. It's totally winding me up that I can't come to a reasonable decision on my own.

could anyone help me weigh up the pros an cons of this? is there a specific reason as to why so many more automatics are sold in the IS series vs Manual?

i used to feel that manual was the way forward for me, but seeing to many premium and luxury cars sold as automatic just totally confuses me - i had always been under the impression that manual provided more control over the speed of the car, revs - i had though auto provided better fuel economy (the brochure says so atleast) but i've been reading online that it apparently does. please, someone help as i wish to come to a decision soon. i live in London, if that is of any help, and about 95% of my driving will be within London, rather than the M roads outside.

thanks in advance for any input whatsoever

The only thing I can say is that modern autos are so well improved that it makes no real sense to buy a stick shift. You just have to look at the emission levels to see that an IS Auto emits LESS than its manual counterpart. Big engined cars are best enjoyed in auto IMHO and this is coming from a forever die hard manual fan.

I have been converted and wouldn't now buy ANY car over say 2.5L engine in manual. Auto all the way...

The only thing I can say is that modern autos are so well improved that it makes no real sense to buy a stick shift. You just have to look at the emission levels to see that an IS Auto emits LESS than its manual counterpart. Big engined cars are best enjoyed in auto IMHO and this is coming from a forever die hard manual fan.

I have been converted and wouldn't now buy ANY car over say 2.5L engine in manual. Auto all the way...

I have a manual, which is OK, but i wish i had bought an auto.

ihpj and Crazy Harry,

thanks for your input. A friend of mine has an old IS 300 in auto and also recommended the same thing. I've now bought by IS250 and I'm very happy with it. Its pre-owned and in excellent condition. I'll be picking it up a week from now on. I really cant' wait. it felt great, there was plenty of power and the gear changing was excellent.

• 2 weeks later...

i picked up the car on Easter Monday. I can't begin to say how happy I am with the Automatice transmission, it was definitely the better choice, and driving it is a breeze. i'm very pleased with the performance and the pretty good speed of gear changing when u press down on the accelerator.

thanks again for your input!