Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Backache

Exiled

Apparently millions of people suffer from backache, I did but don't anymore.

In my twenties and thirties I used to run half marathons, 10 milers. 6k's and one marathon. I stopped running when I started a business as I didn't have the time. When I sold up 12 years ago I took up cycling and started to do a lot of walking, 3 or 4 times a week. I developed what I thought was sciatica, pains shooting down the outside of my leg, and would take pain killers. A year ago I started going to a personal trainer for an hour a week and joined a gym. Six months ago I started running again on a treadmill and over a period of about a month my back got worse so I gave it up.

At the gym I joined the spinning (cycling) classes which are a none impact exercise and as the weather improved went out cycling on the roads. Because I was going to the gym I was doing less and less walking and the back pain stopped.

At the gym the only walking I do is once a week on the treadmill for 10 mins up to a speed of 6.5 k/hour at a gradient of 12.5%.

I used to get back ache when doing things like spending half a day power-washing my patio, driving long journeys, lounging infront of the TV. I went to see the doctor once when my back locked washing the car, he told me I should "warm up" first.

One tends to think of walking as a reasonably gentle exercise, after many years of participating in sport my conclusion is that I was doing too much.

Neither my doctor, personal trainer or physio suggested that walking too much was the problem. I have now been pain free for almost 3 months.

Hope my experiences help someone.

what are you saying...

you gave up running and it cured your backache?

im a runner and a cyclist

I have a prolapsed disc at L5/S1..when i cycle im ok..when i run it hurts

conclusion

impact exercises hurt your back?

Last November I trapped a cyatic (sorry about the spelling!!) nerve, never had pain like it, it really really hurt (and I have done some mad things to my body over the years, seriously mad things...)

The reason was my weight so onto a strict diet and exercise, I couldn't even walk a mile with out being out of breath........ Now 3 to 4 months on I run 3 miles 5 times a week and have lost 5 stone, now a fairly healthy and consistent 14st 11. Only draw back is if I touch the alcohol the I get drunk in only 6 pints.... what a light weight. But far happier being lighter!!

Exercise and eat PROPERLY and your whole life will change for the better, I promise you. Thats my experience anyway.

Last November I trapped a cyatic (sorry about the spelling!!) nerve, never had pain like it, it really really hurt (and I have done some mad things to my body over the years, seriously mad things...)

The reason was my weight so onto a strict diet and exercise, I couldn't even walk a mile with out being out of breath........ Now 3 to 4 months on I run 3 miles 5 times a week and have lost 5 stone, now a fairly healthy and consistent 14st 11. Only draw back is if I touch the alcohol the I get drunk in only 6 pints.... what a light weight. But far happier being lighter!!

Exercise and eat PROPERLY and your whole life will change for the better, I promise you. Thats my experience anyway.

brilliant post

ive been a runner for 20 odd years...... apart from my back (which was due to an injury at work) ive found running to be the best exercise out. My tips are to try and run off road (heath etc) when you start your run, run very very slowly...you dont need to leap out of the door...your slowness in front of your neighbours may be embarassing to you but within a mile you will be warmed up. You dont need to exercise / stretch before a run... just start off slowly.

I cycle because i now cycle to work. Get home and go for a run......you can then eat what you like but 6 pints will still do you in :rolleyes:

what are you saying...

conclusion

What I am saying, albeit confusingly, is that when I cut down the amount of walking I did the sciatic pain stopped. Yes, I am aware that impact exercises hurt your back but I never thought of walking as an impact exercise, however, I am still painfree and very pleased about it.

what are you saying...

conclusion

What I am saying, albeit confusingly, is that when I cut down the amount of walking I did the sciatic pain stopped. Yes, I am aware that impact exercises hurt your back but I never thought of walking as an impact exercise, however, I am still painfree and very pleased about it.

i apologise with how my post came over.. have you thought of an MRI scan. There is a bit of a wait on the NHS but sciatic pain when walking points towards a disc problem.

what are you saying...

conclusion

i apologise with how my post came over.. have you thought of an MRI scan. There is a bit of a wait on the NHS but sciatic pain when walking points towards a disc problem.

Apologise not necessary.

I've no pain at all, I still go walking but not every day maybe twice or three times a fortnight. I'm sure I was doing too much. Like I said I get lots of exercise and now I am varying it I feel fine.

At some time of your life you pay for your excesses be it drinking too much, eating too much, smoking too much or just pounding the roads as a young man, getting that buzz that you as a runner will know all about. I found it the perfect exercise for me then, you can go out anytime of the day or night and with the correct gear on , any weather. It fitted in well at the time with my hectic working life.

I developed what I thought was sciatica, pains shooting down the outside of my leg,

I used to get back ache when doing things like spending half a day power-washing my patio, driving long journeys, lounging infront of the TV, washing the car.

I tend to get this a lot these days

supposidly we are not built for standing up and walking, and would be better off on all fours !

thats why as we get older we get smaller as the spine compresses

posture and position plays a great part in back care, slouching and not sitting/standing properly strains the back

making sure your knees are below your bum when sitting helps keep the spine straighter and allows better circulation

Standing for long periods kills my back, thats why you see me at shows etc either sitting somewhere or in the car. Also a long drive cause havoc too

The following is one of the exercises my trainer started me on, it makes my back feel more supple and I do it before I go out cycling, I think he calls them "back crunches".

Lay on your stomach with your arms outstretched like wings ( at right angles to your body), now lift your chest off the ground, at the same time lift your feet off the ground. Hold that position for 20 secs. or do say 20 repetitions. Please be carefull, all I can say is that it helps me.

If you have got a weakness somewhere in your back a visit to a good therapist recommended by your doctor could be of benefit.