Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Garage Flooring

Tango

Have a new garage in build and have been exploring flooring options. The basic requirement is to seal the concrete floor to prevent dust, so was looking at floor paint but I've come to the conclusion that unless I fork out a lot of dosh for a two part epoxy finish it will not be maintenance free as apparently putting a car away with warm tyres will lift most floor paints.

So also looked at locking plastic floor tyres like those manufactured by Dynotile e.g http://www.versatileflooring.co.uk/garage-flooring.php but not sure if these can withstand jacking on or whether dirt will get into the joints and be difficult to clean.

For the price of the most expensive two part epoxy coats or the http://dynotile.co.uk/ or similar tiles I can get granite or quarry tiles which seem to be a better option to me.

Has anyone tried any of these options and if so how do they perform over the long term?

Some years ago I worked at a paint manufacturer in Coventry and we made various floor paints amongst our range of industrial paint. The 2 pack system need not be that expensive. 5 litres can cover around 50 sq. mtr. at a cost of £25-£30. Preparation is paramount and instructions followed to the letter. It is important to ensure that the paint is given long enough to fully cure in which case warm tyres should not make it lift. If you decide to use the 2 pack epoxy the best way of maintaining the floor is a mop over with a water/ammonia mix (keeping well ventilated).

The firm I worked for no longer manufacture but Regal make a decent product.

Thanks for that. I think I'll give two pack a go, but if it starts to lift I'll be putting quarry tiles down for less than half the price of the dynotile type.

I was just thinking that, it might cost more but tiling the floor could work. Ceramic tiles wouldn't really be strong enough, but if you use porcelain or granite it would be tough as well as look stunning :)

Thanks for that. I think I'll give two pack a go, but if it starts to lift I'll be putting quarry tiles down for less than half the price of the dynotile type.

I was just thinking that, it might cost more but tiling the floor could work. Ceramic tiles wouldn't really be strong enough, but if you use porcelain or granite it would be tough as well as look stunning :)

Ceramics don't survive dropped tools etc, but quarry tiles do. The granite tiles are the more expensive option, but agree would look the dogs whatsits.

My bro used to work for a company called Garage Wizards they installed flooring/cabinets the lot really good quality stuff take a peak - http://www.duragarages.com/

The do work for car dealers aswell as private jobs, I remember my bro did a job for a guy in norfolk who had in his garage a Bugatti Veyron and Ferrari Enzo and was taking delivery of a Ferrari F430 Scuderia lol I mean that's just being greedy

I done mine about a year ago verry cheaply by using watered down pva glue to seal the concrete and then just used a standard floor paint and its not lifted any paint yet and hopefully it won't cost me about £60 in all and took me 2 days the car goes in and out twice daily.

I know its not the same but when we got new carpet in the dinning room i fitted that in my garage!

Warm to lie on if you need to, quiet if you drop anything, ok to park the car on, plus to clean just vac it! :D

When I got my new garage built, I was told by the builder NOT to paint the floor for about 3 - 6 months.

The time depends on how thick / deep the concrete is.

I was going to paint the floor as soon as it was finished, but he told me I had to leave it this long or the paint would crack and lift off.

I gave it a coat of concrete sealer, then 2 coats of Spencers Polyurathane floor paint, in grey.

Its only been down for 3 weeks now but it dose keep the dust down and looks good.

we used to have carpet in our garage, but if the car is wet and u park on it, it soon starts to smell. we have who double garages so 4 cars in 2 garages and we painted 1 of the garages with a proper garage paint, cost around £50. it said dont park on it for 2 days, but i think we went away anyway, so a car didnt touch the floor for around 5 days. yet when the gs went in with warm tyres it just lifted it up.

£50 not well spent. i think what i will do next is because the car goes in the same place every time i will put down a tile under each tyre, or a door mat or something similar.

• 3 weeks later...

Garage is still under construction, but I've decided to quarry tile it. Got plenty of room for a hobby workshop/playroom upstairs too.

25042009069.jpg pic0086.jpg

pic0093.jpg

It'll be good to get both Lexus under cover. We still have the old single garage, but as is usually the case it's full of bikes, tools, spare wheels and bbt's, so no room for a car :angry: . Hopefully will not have to wash them as often either :lol: .

Quarry tiles would be your best option. Nice finish and easy to clean.

If you have to jack the car up or put it on axle stands then have some pieces of plywood handy to put underneath the jack or stands.

Garage is still under construction, but I've decided to quarry tile it. Got plenty of room for a hobby workshop/playroom upstairs too.

25042009069.jpg pic0086.jpg

pic0093.jpg

You sure that a Garage and not a House, Tango....hehe :whistling: :whistling: :whistling:

Looking at the size of the garage you are constructing it may, depending on how your concrete floor is to be laid, be a good idea to acid etch the floor prior to any attempt to seal it or paint it.

i used proper garage floor paint and i used sealer 1st and 3 years l8r the paint still lifts when i put the bike/car away i have to leave them outside for 20/30min to let the tyre's cool down so the paint doesn't lift

ive never heard of that before. about the paint lifting. glad i read this.

building a garage myself at the mo. been wondering what to put on the floor.

http://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/viewtop...sc&start=45

i did consider the carpet. tiles would be lovely but the paint is the cheaper option isnt it?

what sort of price difference for your application between the paint and the tiles?

• 4 months later...
Garage looks awesome Terry, watching your build with interest.

Mostly finished now and have both Lex under cover, glad to say it's got enough room, especially lengthwise. Electrics in with separate socket and lighting circuits in the main garage area and room upstairs. Also plumbed in water supply and also a ring main for the air supply from the compressor.

Eventually decided on garage floor tiles as they're warm, comfortable and they'll take a jacking load without marking. Bonus is that they're not stuck down so can take them with me if I move house :)

pic0119w.jpg pic0116s.jpg

pic0115e.jpg