Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Getting To Ac Control Bulbs

Hi, I did a quick search but I don't exactly know which term/s to search for!

I'm after a guide for an IS300 to get to the fan control knob bulbs, as one has blown and I need to replace it.

So I guess I'm looking for a stereo removal guide and all the other units above that?

How hard is it to do?

removal guide

^ above is a word document, save target as and scan for viruses (so im not held responsible for anything!)

Its for an is200, but i cant see there being any difference in the is300. You have to remove the AC unit to get to the stereo, once this is out its just a matter of common sense and a few screws, voila...

Be VERY VERY carefull when splitting the a/c unit there are 4 little clip thingy's 2 top 2 bottom, prise those apart and slowly seperate, believe me do it carefull as I killed my clock display opening one up because it's really sensative, it's happened to a few guy's on here so be warned, especially as the units are dated so finding the correct one for your cars year can be difficult.

Alrighty, actually it sounds rather intimidating. It's going to a (non Lexus mind) garage next week for a timing belt and tensioner change. I'll probably get them to do it, or is that not a good idea?

All the guides out there say remove the top tray first but mine has nav!

Not sure about the Nav matey but don't be scared of taking the a/c unit apart just do it slowly and carefully, i've had my new unit apart a few times now no probs, the existing bulbs have holders so just turn out, it's just a case of either soldering the new bulbs in place or putting new bulbs into existing holders, the soldering route does provide better results tho.

I ordered and received an OEM bulb with it's own plastic holder so I assume that's all I need, I hope I don't have to solder that!

I'm changing it because it's blown, not to change for blue ones.

Thanks for the help everyone I'll try this tomorrow!

All the guides out there say remove the top tray first but mine has nav!

It's easy to get the nav out too, with the screen open, lift up the plastic panel in front of the screen with a screwdriver or something and there will be two 10mm bolts underneath. Once you've removed these, switch off again to close the screen and then just pull the whole nav/vent unit forwards and it will just slide out.

You can detach the plugs at the back to remove the unit completely, but I've never had the need to, just pull it out enough and rest it on the top of the dash.

And the other thing to remember is MASK EVERYTHING! The sides of the dash scratch very easily so make sure it's all covered :)

I've given myself nightmares about the Err3 message on the CD player now :(. Mines a 2001 IS300 and still working...

Just how common is it :S. And if it does go, I guess I can kiss goodbye to navigation aswel unless I fork out for a new OEM sterio?

It's unlikely to be an issue with your stereo mate, the ERR3 issue is from the early bottom slot CD players..........the updated top slot players from 2001 onwards don't really have problems unless you're unlucky.

• 1 month later...

the top slot players also have this problem

I have a 2003 model with the minidisc player

the CD has the error 3 and the minidisc is starting to give some trouble as well

the top slot players also have this problem

I have a 2003 model with the minidisc player

the CD has the error 3 and the minidisc is starting to give some trouble as well

Yeah the top-loaders can get it too. But with the top-loaders, it's a *lot* easier to take the unit apart and get to the CDs, where you can free them up, which might well solve the problem, at least for the short-term. The bottom-loaders are a nightmare to take apart (and put back together again).