Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Sludging And Gearbox Problems.

Hi I am a new member and was just about to purchase a 2001 rx300 when I read on the internet about engine sludge problems and gearbox problems so I have put my purchase on hold. It was a toss up between the ML320 and the Lexus and before reading the above the Lexus was my choice. Is the sludging a problem that is confined to USA vehicles? How big is the gearbox problem and what should I look out for. Any advice woulod be greatfully appreciated. Thanks Nigel

Hi I am a new member and was just about to purchase a 2001 rx300 when I read on the internet about engine sludge problems and gearbox problems so I have put my purchase on hold. It was a toss up between the ML320 and the Lexus and before reading the above the Lexus was my choice. Is the sludging a problem that is confined to USA vehicles? How big is the gearbox problem and what should I look out for. Any advice woulod be greatfully appreciated. Thanks Nigel

I read of a few problems with sludging with the 1MZ-FE V6 in US Camry's although it does seem pretty rare, but to be honest, it's likely you'll be in for a whole lot more problems if you choose the ML over an RX. Just go and find yourself a JD PowerSurvey or similar to find out why.

i have an rx300 2002 with 130k. after years of trouble free operation i now have a growling noise in low gears most noticeable when cold. A transmission fluid change, but not flush, cured the problem for a few hundred miles but now its back again. A local autogearbox specilaist ahas quoted £1600+vat to rebuild trasnmission. i don't know how this compared to the other car you mentioned but i have habitually run rovers, fords and mercs to much higher mileages without encountering such problem

• 4 weeks later...

I would check the ATF to see its colour before buying and if black/brown avoid buying.I bought mine with the ATF like that and had it changed and discovered that the transmission now engages 4th gear very reluctantly and the OD light flashes.It has only done 61,000 miles. I know from the US sites that the the initial models were prone to transmission problems on the first vehicles.Lexus has quoted me £3500 for a replacement transmission plus labour ?.Otherwise I think the vehicle is great so make sure you get a good one.

Good luck Harold

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links