Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Running In

JOHNNY-BOY

Well everyone seems to think you don't need to run in these days, but I always think it's better if you take it easy to start with.

I kept mine below 3k for the first 500 miles and added 500 rpm per 500 miles if you follow me. Then again, I do a big(ish) mileage, so it doesn't take me long to do 500 miles!

I think the main things are;

Don't rev the spuds off it

Don't labour it

Don't keep the same rpm for too long (ie don't drive at 70 all day long)

My dealer said a similar thing about keeping it less than 4k (well, 80 in top he said, but that's about 4k)

Mind you he also told me that 6th was lower than 5th (for overtaking) - huh?

and that it has an electric heater to warm the interior before the engine has warmed up - er, no it doesn't :D

well the only form of pre heater is the heating from the A/C and that isnt brilliant by any stretch of the imagination, can only think he is talking about the heated seats?? As for 6th being lower geared than 5th:o:wow: !!!! I think your dealer has won the "***** of the month award" for that great display of technical knowledge LOL

cheers

robbie.

[Edited on 14-1-2002 by fluff34567]

No, he deffo meant the heating system, not the seats.

I didn't know the A/C had any kind of pre-heat, that would be what he was talking about - I'll have to try it.

I'd already driven one so I knew the 6th gear stuff was bull but what can you say? I just wanted the keys at that point :smilegrin:

well when i say pre heat i mean you can get heat earlier from the A/C when compared to just allowing the engine to warm up and thus heating the cabin the traditional way.

You will notice if you turn the air selector to w/screen then the A/C will come on, this "auto" and i use the word loosly, is meant to be used to defrost or clear the front screen quickly.

cheers

robbie.

Aah, I know what you mean now, but I thought the benefit was that the air gets dehumidified by the A/C so it demists quicker - I didn't think there was any "warming" going on other than from the engine?

But, you're not waiting for the air temp to rise before the fan comes on, so you will probably get some warm air sooner than on the full auto setting - maybe ;)

• 1 month later...

Lexus have not done anything to mine yet. Its done 4.9K, theres no mention of a return to the dealer except for its first service after 12 months. I think modern cars are a lot different to the ones of 20 years ago. i.e. no heads to be tightened down after 600 miles. Enjoy the car AND Club.:tumble:

[Edited on 23-2-2002 by Wallace]

• 1 month later...

well all three IS200's ive had have come directly of the boat from japan with 7 miles on the clock.......this was there runing in milage at Kanto .

i was told not to bother running the car in b4 it went for the supercharger,3 days after picking it up