Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Just noticed a little bit of wear on the insides of both front tyres, anyone else? I take it we haven't got the same probs as the IS 200. Done just 12k in two years.

Just noticed a little bit of wear on the insides of both front tyres, anyone else? I take it we haven't got the same probs as the IS 200. Done just 12k in two years.

Apparently it is "normal". Both mine replaced with Avons at 16k. Wear both on inner and outer treads. Car handled like a pig. Now better and quieter

Apparently it is "normal". Both mine replaced with Avons at 16k. Wear both on inner and outer treads. Car handled like a pig. Now better and quieter

If you have wear on both the inner and outer edges you're running the tyres under-inflated.

WIM have used my 250 as a test vehicle from new, correcting both the initial inner tyre wear and tendancy to tramline that I had initially with my standard set up and OEM wheels.

After lowering took the negative camber out of OEM specification the wider tyres on the front still did over 23K miles before inner edge wear made it necessary to change them. Without the negative camber I'm sure the OEM setup would have gone on for another 6-10K.

i recently changed my front tyres and both had the wear on the outer and inner edges as per the previous set.tyre pressure was not the cause as i check every two weeks but the tracking was out,stil managed 28k though.

Hi all, just changed my fronts on IS250 = had tyre wear on both inner and outer, but had done 15000 with pressure at 35. Please could some explain what WIM means ????

WIM are Wheels in Motion, located in Chesham, in Bucks. They are experts in geometry setup, amongst other things. They did a lot of work to investigate and solve premature tyre wear problems on the IS200, see their website for details.

A lot of IS200 owners (including myself) have had their car's handling transformed by getting their cars setup to WIM's own developed specifications, as opposed to the (faulty) OEM geometry spec.

i recently changed my front tyres and both had the wear on the outer and inner edges as per the previous set.tyre pressure was not the cause as i check every two weeks but the tracking was out,stil managed 28k though.

Yes, and so you should, but what pressures are you using? The OEM settings are only recommended and should be viewed as a starting point to be adjusted according to wear pattern. I cannot remember what the OEM settings are for the IS200, but from analysis of actual wear WIM recommended 35 psi all round as a starting point, and most peeps on here found 35 psi all round to be the optimum setting for the majority of conditions.

We started my IS250 with Toyo T1-R's on 36 psi all round and ended with 38 psi all round as the optimum setting for my car for even wear. The rear 275/30/19's had done 23K miles and had absolutely even wear across the tread blocks down to the wear indicators.

tango,i have been running on 35f and 38r as per the manual,the rears have worn evenly and given 30k.i will try running at 36f and monitor that setting.

It doesn't sound as if you're far from optimum if you managed 28K, but I'd still be tempted to try 38 psi in the fronts as well and monitor the wear pattern. If you start to get more wear in the centre of the tyre then knock it back a little. The wear you get will also depend on the average journey you do. What's your typical journey? Long duration motorway or short duration mixed roads?

tango,i have been running on 35f and 38r as per the manual,the rears have worn evenly and given 30k.i will try running at 36f and monitor that setting.

It doesn't sound as if you're far from optimum if you managed 28K, but I'd still be tempted to try 38 psi in the fronts as well and monitor the wear pattern. If you start to get more wear in the centre of the tyre then knock it back a little. The wear you get will also depend on the average journey you do. What's your typical journey? Long duration motorway or short duration mixed roads?

Hi My IS250 sport....currently done 29K 3mm left on back an 3.5mm on front Goodyears

typical driving is 65/35 extra urban/urban mix and i have to say that this car is the most economical in terms of tyre wear that i have ever bought,i know that some posters on here dislike the bridgestone tyres,but for me they represent excellent vfm.

typical driving is 65/35 extra urban/urban mix and i have to say that this car is the most economical in terms of tyre wear that i have ever bought,i know that some posters on here dislike the bridgestone tyres,but for me they represent excellent vfm.

In that case I'd definitely up the fronts to 38 psi. If you were doing regular higher speed long runs The tyres heat up and as a consequence the pressure increases. As you're not doing this I'd say the tyre pressure remains fairly constant so bumping the pressure up may solve the edge wear.

Ditto. I've run my 250's Toyos on 35f and 38r for 20,000 miles and they're all wearing very evenly across the width of the tyres. In addition they've all still got about 5-6mm of tread left, so I'm hoping I might just squeeze 40,000 miles out of them.

Edit: I probably spend about 80% of my time cruising at 70mph with very little slow urban driving.

Ditto. I've run my 250's Toyos on 35f and 38r for 20,000 miles and they're all wearing very evenly across the width of the tyres. In addition they've all still got about 5-6mm of tread left, so I'm hoping I might just squeeze 40,000 miles out of them.

Edit: I probably spend about 80% of my time cruising at 70mph with very little slow urban driving.

That was my point. If your tyres are spending most of the time on the motorway then the heat will increase the pressure in your tyres by 2 to 4 psi, so if you are cold running then you will probaly need to increase the pressures. It's not an exact science anyway as the optmum pressure to achieve even wear will vary depending on the make, and size of tyre, as well as driving conditions. Running tyres underinflated will also increase heat and vice versa so the only way is to monitor the wear pattern regularly and adjust pressures accordingly.

Just to update:- car went for 20K service yesterday and they reckon both front are illegal, as they were worn on both inside and outside edges, Quick-Fit two weeks ago didnt say anything when they adjusted the tracking. I am thinking of putting Toyo Proxes T1-R on the front instead of the Bridgestones it came with. Any thoughts?

I recently put Toyo PX4's on the front , and they have been great so far, and seem to be wearing evenly after 3K, and grip was great in the rain today. Car felt great today, both on the motorway and A/B roads :whistling:

I'm running 36 front and 38 rear.

I need to replace the rears soon :( . They are just about on the wear indicators, but have worn evenly all across. They are Dunlop Sport SPMax and have given me nearly 40K :D

I think I will put the Toyo PX4's on the rear as well, if I can find them cheap enough :driving:

I've got T1-R's on the IS250 and Proxes 4 on the IS200 and cannot fault them at all. Would put the Proxes 4 on the IS250 if Toyo produced them in the sizes I need, but still waiting :yawn: