Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I've had enough of my 220 & traded it in today. I don't trust the car any more, and have little faith or trust

in the Lexus dealers involved and not much faith in Lexus GB customer services either.

I've had mostly hassle and trouble since December '07 when I handed the money over and drove off in it, and I've not had much pleasure since in driving it.

Lexus have their good points, but for me they have been outweighed by the bad.

I won't bother going on about why and boring you all with the reasons, unless anyone wants to know what they are.

However, I know that many of you are delighted with your car(s) and I'm pleased that you are and hope that it stays that.

Good luck

Boothby

Good luck with the new car... I hope it satisfies. Those DSG boxes are most impressive.

Thanks for your wishes Robert.

So far I'm well pleased, especially with the consumption. I've done about 200 miles in it at an overall average of 49.2. On a run to Chesterfield & back the other day I got about 54 out & 55+ coming back, and that was driving it with more "vigour" than the 220d. In that I would have had to work hard to get 40. Around town it looks as though I'll get be able to continue getting about 40 or more with no trouble.

The gearbox is, as you say, impressive but then the box on the 250 auto is pretty good as well.

It certainly seems faster than the 220, but if I remember correctly the official 0-62 figure for the 220 is faster, or about the same as the VW. Perhaps that's down to not having to change gear manually.

It has things that the 220 didn't and lacks things that the Lexus had, but they are fairly minor, e.g. it's a bit more noisy but it's not as cramped inside with a far bigger boot, and has auto rain sensor as standard.

Best of all it cost me less than £1k for a '57 plate car, including having rear sensors fitted as an extra, whereas the 250 auto I was going to have would have cost about £4k with the cost of sensors on top.

People often underestimate the speed of auto box changes vs manual, plus pulling away from rest etc. Whilst the 'headline' figures show a manual car to be quicker, this is achieved by a test driver in a way you'd not want to drive your own car, whereas anyone could get the headline figures out of an auto/dsg!

There's a good article in this month's Evo about VW and the new GTi.

what you getting

I thought I might get that question :D - I collected it this afternoon - it's a VW Jetta SE 2.0 TDI with the DSG auto :blush:

I test drove one of those before opting for the IS250. Great fun to drive and a really impressive gearbox.

Unfortunately, I read too many horror stories about the reliability of the DSG gearbox and had to listen to my head rather than my heart.

I hope that the DSG gearbox doesn't let you down and that you enjoy the car.

what you getting

I thought I might get that question :D - I collected it this afternoon - it's a VW Jetta SE 2.0 TDI with the DSG auto :blush:

I test drove one of those before opting for the IS250. Great fun to drive and a really impressive gearbox.

Unfortunately, I read too many horror stories about the reliability of the DSG gearbox and had to listen to my head rather than my heart.

I hope that the DSG gearbox doesn't let you down and that you enjoy the car.

Can't be any worse than the sum of the problems I had with the 220, but they were, to some extent, down to the dealers rather than the gearbox. At least I've got just over 2 years warranty to act as a cushion.

The DSG box goes a very long way to improving the drive ability of the car and as well the fuel economy (and performance) of the car. The VAG 2.0 TDi engine mated to the DSG 'box is a VERY good combination and used across their range. I hope you remain happy and satisfied with your car :)

See? Diesels can be good ;)

The DSG box goes a very long way to improving the drive ability of the car and as well the fuel economy (and performance) of the car. The VAG 2.0 TDi engine mated to the DSG 'box is a VERY good combination and used across their range. I hope you remain happy and satisfied with your car :)

See? Diesels can be good ;)

be careful now.

Good luck with the new car mate, hope it is more of a pleasure to own than the IS was!

Random question, but is the DSG an actual auto box or is it a sequential manual box like BMWs SMG?

Good luck with the new car mate, hope it is more of a pleasure to own than the IS was!

Random question, but is the DSG an actual auto box or is it a sequential manual box like BMWs SMG?

Thanks for the wishes. It's certainly been better so far. Having driven around in the VW for a while now it's made me realise something - I actually like driving and want to drive this car, and that I didn't want to do that with the Lex. Irrationally, just before I got the VW I decided not to go on my monthly trip down to Leicestershire to see my aunt as I didn't trust :unsure: the car to get me there! Now I'm trying to think of excuses to go somewhere, just so I can have a really long run in the Jetta :rolleyes: . Can't wait until May for a week's holiday in Sussex!

Anway, as regards your question, It's just like an "ordinary auto", i.e. with drive, "manual change" if you want it and sport mode. I'm glad it's not an SMG box. I drove a couple of BMWs with that and found it a bit difficult to get a smooth change with it.

it is robotic gearbox (similar as SMG) but with two clutches. One clutch operates gears 1,3,5 and the other 2,4,6

There is ECU which estimates your next gearchange, so while you are accelerating, say on 2nd, 3rd is ready and when right time comes, clutch holding 2nd disconnects and clutch holding 3rd conects. Now clutch with 2nd has plenty of time to swich to 4th and when time comes, again just clutches exchanges their activity.

So if ECU estimates correctly, it shifts VERY quickly.

However, it is quite complicated and as was mentioned, it is way expensive if problems occur (us usual with complicated things)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links