Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Brake Wear Warning Light

randyreindeer

I've changed the Front and rear Pads expecting the Light to go out. How foolish of me. I have had a search on tinternet about this problem and it seems its down to a sensor. Before I replace or delve into it, I need to know if the handbrake Shoes have a warning system on them that will trigger the dash light.

The shoes in theory should never wear due to being in use only when the vehicle is stationary but who knows whats happened with them in the last few years of changed owners.

Can anyone advise?

Hello Randy.

I changed the front pads on my LS in November. The warning light had not come on but I knew the pads were getting low so I changed them anyway. About two weeks after I had changed them the brake warning message flashed up on the dash. As the pads were new I knew that wasn't the problem so I thought, as you do, that it must be a sensor somewhere. However, I had four new tyres put on the old girl this week (ouch!) and while the wheels were off the car I noticed a very clean band round the inside edge of one of the front wheels. Upon further inspection it was the wire which comes off the brake pad which had been rubbing on the wheel and it had worn right through the outer tubing and through both wires inside. I suspect that is why my brake wear message has appeared. Apparently it is quite common for these wires to break, I would check these first as it is a cheap and easy fix.

Let us know how you get on.

Redsteve.

Cheers guys.

I guess its a closed circuit and the light only comes on when its interupted. I'll have another play on Sunday.

Its a MK4. Seems it only has sensors on the Off Side Wheels.

Still looking for an answer on the Hand Brake Shoes.

• 2 weeks later...

>Turns out it was an open circuit on the front wiring. All fixed and working now.

I had the same problem today, and try to replace brake shoes.

But seems not brake shoes issus.

Open circuit on the the front wiring?Where to find it out? any pictures?Can you explain more for me? Many thks.

Close to the brake pads is a wire loop.

When the pads wear thin, if they are not changed this wire wears through, breaking the loop [circuit] and putting on the warning light

Sometimes these wires are accidendally damaged when changing pads etc, any open circuit here puts the warning light on.

Hope you can make sense of this...

• 1 year later...

My MK IV is also showing "Brake Wear".

The previous keeper had a new set of rear pads fitted, but the did not have the locator for the sensor. There was no sensor present either. I have purchased a new sensor (£55) for the back but when merely plugged into the plug, the warning remains on screen. I will fit the new rear pads (with the wear indicator locator) soon, but I am now thinking it's the front pads. Do these have the same sensor and if so, can I just short the wires on it together to get rid of the warning?

Thanks

Mike

If the system is the same as series two[upto 1994], you can just short them together to

put out the light and then get new wires.

Or like me just check the pads visually every few months.

• 4 months later...

I know its been a while, but I have, at last got round to checking the pad situation.

Well, the front pads are fine and the sensor intact. The rear pads are fine and the sensor is missing. I plugged in my new sensor and still the "Brake Wear" remains on the dash?

I could see no breaks or damage on the wiring, and bear in mind that the ABS sensor shares the same plug, so a break in the wire could well show a fault here too. The car is a 1998 MKIV.

Has anyone got any ideas?

Thanks

Mike

• 4 weeks later...

I know its been a while, but I have, at last got round to checking the pad situation.

Well, the front pads are fine and the sensor intact. The rear pads are fine and the sensor is missing. I plugged in my new sensor and still the "Brake Wear" remains on the dash?

I could see no breaks or damage on the wiring, and bear in mind that the ABS sensor shares the same plug, so a break in the wire could well show a fault here too. The car is a 1998 MKIV.

Has anyone got any ideas?

Thanks

Mike

Hello Mike,

This might be benign info, but when you mentioned that the front brake sensor is "intact," did you get a chance to actually remove the assembly to look at the sensor tip's CONTACT END (the part that would actually touch the rotor upon pad wear)? The reason being that as the sensor wears down over repeated brake changes, the wire enclosed/hidden inside the tip will become visible. Repeated brake changes and/or continuous wear on this now exposed wire will ultimately break the brake wire and create an open loop, thus triggering the brake light. It's very easy to miss, and I've missed it, only to have to remove the wheel and fix the connection (this can sometimes be done with solder and scrap wire to make the open loop become "closed." The important point here is that the actual tip end needs to be looked at closely by removing the caliper/pad assembly away from the rotor. It simply can't be done by an external visual inspection because although the sensor may look "intact," the tip's end may indeed have a broken/worn-out wire, which can only be diagnosed by removal of the assembly to look at the actual contact point. If you are looking at the sensor's end and see two separate wire ends (perpendicular) staring at you (like eyes in a carbon block), you'd have an "open-loop." All of this wouldn't matter or likely be of help if your sensor is brand new. FWIW, I hope this helps...please let us know what you found. BoL, /very

Thanks for the info...

Yes, I did pull out the sensor and look at the end and it was OK. I even unplugged the sensor and shorted the the plug on the car together, still to no avail.

It's really beginning to get on my nerves now....

Still, it's got an MOT on Monday, so if it passes, I'll go all out to sort this problem, if not, I'll probably strip it, depenant upon what it fails on :)

Thanks

Mike

just cut the sensor off and solder the two little wires inside together and just forget about it.Brakes are easier enough to check at anytime.

I don't think that will work because I think I have a break in the wire further up the loom. Need to find that and join the wires together before that. Damn!!!

Mike