Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New Rear Plates!

I know, I've only just got my IS300 and yes, I know, I said I wouldn't modify this one...

So sue me...

Received my new plates in the post on saturday and got them fitted, I much prefer them to the ones it came with (rear had standard UK size). If it looks a bit odd it's because I've edited out two of the characters :P.

Also bought a sports grille but that won't be fitted till next weekend because I'm having timing belt & tensioner done during the week and I don't want the mech to scratch a brand new grille on the off chance, so that'll give me something to do next weekend :D.

Whaddya think?

(Before anyone feels they should mention it, yes, I do realize)

lexrear.jpg

they are illegal for a non import to have them.

I can't find anything in the regulations for displaying number plates that says that. Do you have a source ?

pretty sure they are as remember reading on here and elsewhere than non import cars cannot display an import (JAP) style plate.

no idea when i read that, but it seemed to stick in my mind.

does look good though :shifty:

I can't find anything in the regulations for displaying number plates that says that. Do you have a source ?

pretty sure they are as remember reading on here and elsewhere than non import cars cannot display an import (JAP) style plate.

no idea when i read that, but it seemed to stick in my mind.

Yeah, but is it true or just hearsay ? I can't see anything in the MoT tester's manual that says it would fail an MoT either, nor in the number plate display regs.

might be hear say, i dunno. hence why i asked if sugarytea knew if they were legal or not.....

if not, no harm done in bringing the issue up. if so, then maybe something for people to bear in mind. :)

EDIT: actually, thinking about this and having a brief look on DVLA site, i think the square plates are fully legal as long as the character type, size and spacing is UK compliant as well as the spacing between the top and bottom lines meets there standards. I think the issue is perhaps with people who have the Jap sized plates but with smaller font (and their car is NOT an import) - i believe some imports are permitted to have smaller font on the plates than standard UK law dictates.....

the source is my cousin. he had a uk mr2 roadster but had a mr-s bodykit on it so he stick jap style plate on it. he got fined 30 pound because its a uk car not import even tho it has a import body kit on it. i will look around and find a source on the internet.

EDIT: actually, thinking about this and having a brief look on DVLA site, i think the square plates are fully legal as long as the character type, size and spacing is UK compliant as well as the spacing between the top and bottom lines meets there standards. I think the issue is perhaps with people who have the Jap sized plates but with smaller font (and their car is NOT an import) - i believe some imports are permitted to have smaller font on the plates than standard UK law dictates.....

Indeed, there are certainly issues about the size of the font.

the source is my cousin. he had a uk mr2 roadster but had a mr-s bodykit on it so he stick jap style plate on it. he got fined 30 pound because its a uk car not import even tho it has a import body kit on it. i will look around and find a source on the internet.

Are you sure it wasn't the size of the font used ?

the sizes were are fine and the space. he goes to the officer that its a import body kit and they said to him its a uk car should have uk plates and gave him a £30 fine

Looks good though I think, and really I can't see any old bill being too anal about the technical legality of it, at least I've not used a stupid font or anything (though the letters are carbon style lettering!)

Carbon style lettering isn't allowed though, they could pull you up for that !

heres my number plates on my old car and are 100% legal!!!!!!

yes imports are allowed smaller plates but the import has to be over ten years old any thing newer got a sva test which req all cars to be put to uk spec.

import size number plates have to use smaller letters or they wouldn't fit on the plate asi thats why he prob got done mate!!

i got lots of greef for my plates so i ended up carrying the vosa number plate standards sheet!!!(that shut the police up when i pulled it out!) :winky:

4389845714a4995586919l.jpg

4389845714a5043557899l.jpg

arnt hyundai bringing out new car with square plates these arnt imports

Hyundai have them on the current cars at the moment, and i have never heard the guys from there having problems with thier plates.

I'm actually quite surprised as the square plates on the Lexus, do look good !