Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is250 Tyres

Has anyone tried fitting tyres of a higher profile to 'soften' the suspension a little? my is250se has the 17' wheels, & i would like the ride to be a little bit more pliant, i don't mind any loss in handling etc as i dont drive the car hard, it is used as a long distance cruiser.

Has anyone tried fitting tyres of a higher profile to 'soften' the suspension a little? my is250se has the 17' wheels, & i would like the ride to be a little bit more pliant, i don't mind any loss in handling etc as i dont drive the car hard, it is used as a long distance cruiser.

Why don't you try fitting the 16" OEM wheels then?

I think the 16's look a little 'lost' in the wheel arches, the 17's are standard on the se, and i would like to keep them!

• 2 weeks later...

I think the 16's look a little 'lost' in the wheel arches, the 17's are standard on the se, and i would like to keep them!

All I can say is you have a very apt login name. If you increase the profile on a 17" rim you will more than likely have clearance problems on the front, especially on lock. The rolling diameter will be incorrect so your speedometer will indicate a slower speed than you're actually travelling, and your acceleration times will also be slower than standard. In practice any additional profile that will fit inside the arch on a 17" rim will not 'soften' the ride to any noticable degree, so as previously stated, to get what you desire will only happen by fitting the 16" rims.

• 1 year later...

Well you could go with other brands of tire. Toyo and Dunlops are quite soft. (yokohama, bridgestones are hard) Michelin pilot primacy could also be a solution, but this one is a little bit more expensive.

There is a noticable difference in comfort (noise/shock absorbing) in only changing the tires.