Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is250 Se Auto, Build Quality And Reliability

Hi,

I think I have found a suitable car at Stoke Lexus, the car has done 20k miles, however reading the reviews on here has left me wondering how reliable the IS250 is. I have already driven a couple of IS250's and like the car, just concerned about the comments on this site.

Any thoughs appreciated.

Chris

I havent seen too many negative comments on the 250 on here other than creaking dash, the auto seems top notch.

I nearly got one so did some major research..auto seems the way to go

Hi

I recently brought an IS250SE L with MM and love it. I dod the same as you and done quite a bit of research before I brought it. I ended up buying one from Lexus Wolverhampton

If you buy it from Lexus they do offer you a chance to return the car if you ahve not done more than a 1000 miles.

I found the information on this board helpful and new exactly what to look for once I got it. The car did have a squeaky dash board and a couple of other things, I contacted Lexus and they took it back for repair with no quibble. I'm just waiting to get it back now so I can continue to drive it, I love the car

Hi,

I think I have found a suitable car at Stoke Lexus, the car has done 20k miles, however reading the reviews on here has left me wondering how reliable the IS250 is. I have already driven a couple of IS250's and like the car, just concerned about the comments on this site.

Any thoughs appreciated.

Chris

Hi Dude,

Had our IS250 sel-mm auto almost 3 years now ,the car has never let us down as it’s the wife’s car and it needs to be safe and reliable and easy to drive .She loves it and will not part with it .and all the on the se-l goodies are a blast .

The down sides in my opinion are :

1 cost of ownership – car designed to drive service cost down, front disc’s and pads replaced at 20k service.between 15-18k out of a set of front tyres

2 its been in for warranty work on rattles,CD MM replaced ,all four wheels replaced ,rattle at start up ,wing mirror replaced ,burns more oil then I though it should, fuel lead recall, and now steering rake and brake recall to come ,also its just started to have the dreaded dial ratchet rattle on start up and I don’t think the start up endine rattle has been cured.

3 breaks and steering are not as good as I would have hoped (comparing it to my 08 BMW 320d auto sport)

It’s a good car but I would make sure you get on with some manufactures warranty or get Lexus used car extended warranty (some £600 quid per year) as this is car is and will be a technical challenge for most mechanics’.

Cheers

Swager

As secondhand car from Lexus, it will come with 12 months warranty anyway, which includes full uk & european breakdown cover, i have a 250se with MM, it is a fabulous car, my manual gets 30mpg most days, and up to 38 on a long run, the auto is supposed to be more economical. just make sure you dont get one that has interior rattles, i had a sport for a short while, it was bloody awful.

Reading this site, it seems that the IS250/220 is more problematical then the old IS200. However, if you read other cars members forums you would be just as concerned. Perspective is needed. The Lexus offer of return within 1000 miles is very good. You will know well before that if it's a lemon.

Reading this site, it seems that the IS250/220 is more problematical then the old IS200. However, if you read other cars members forums you would be just as concerned. Perspective is needed. The Lexus offer of return within 1000 miles is very good. You will know well before that if it's a lemon.

That 1000 mile/30 day return promise is conditional on taking a replacement vehicle from the dealer's stock!

You can bet that they won't give you your money back, and any replacement available will be at a higher price than the one that you are returning.

That 1000 mile/30 day return promise is conditional on taking a replacement vehicle from the dealer's stock!

You can bet that they won't give you your money back, and any replacement available will be at a higher price than the one that you are returning.

Yes, and it is also based on the Invoice Price you paid for the car. So if you had a part-ex when you bought your car, they may have given you more for that and lowered the price of the car you were buying. If you then went for the 30-day swap, you would only have the allowance of the lower purchase price.

Build quality niggles are an issue. Not much to add to what's already been put to watch out for, except to say-

- wheels did corrode BUT so did the ones on my BMW, Audi and Porsche. The difference was, Lexus replaced them after 4 years, no quibble, where the others told me to get lost.

- there have been the recalls, but that's Lexus being cautious. Plenty of other manufacturers would wing it.

The difference with the Lexus is the service- all cars have problems, but I've been delighted with the way that my local dealer, Lexus Reading, have put up with my pickiness in getting things sorted.

In conclusion, yes they do have issues, but they are well-known and fixable. They are basically excellent cars wich dealers that do care that you are happy.