Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Wierd Noises !

is200ste

Hi guys Ive only joined the forum today after 4 days of owning my is200 and Im loving it BUT.....There are some wierd noises coming from the car !

1) There is a chirping noise which sounds like its coming from underneath but it stops when I press the clutch in.

2) When Im sat stationary and there is no road noise I can hear a constant crackling noise (like when you switch off your car, The noises it makes when cooling down) I hope that makes sense.

3) This only started tonight about 5 mins before I arrived home, The noise is like a rubbing grinding noise and it sounds like its coming from the back somewhere.....Seems to be at low speeds but maybe I just cant hear at higher speeds bacause of road noise.

Does anyone have any ideas of what any or all three noises are bacause I have crap luck with cars and Im just worried I might be in for a hefty bill :(

Cheers, Steve

Hey mate, the chirping noise you hear is from the clutch and (so I've been told) is the thrust release bearing (?). And the only way to get rid of this noise is to change the clutch.

Can't help with the other problems, but I'm sure someone will be along shortly to help

For number 2, can you figure out where the noise is coming from ? Sometimes people have heard a strange noise apparently from the engine bay, which has turned out to be from being low on coolant and is the coolant moving around (check the coolant expansion tank behind the radiator).

Otherwise perhaps it could be the heat shields underneath the car, or in the engine bay over the exhaust manifold.

Where do you think it's coming from ?

Malky IS200 Cheers mate, Is the clutch on its way out then ? Do I have to change the clutch if I can live with the chirping noise ?

Thanks aswell Steviewevie the noise sounds like it comes from the underneath (Very much the same noise as when your switch your car off from hot and it starts to cool down) but a constant noise while running.....I should mention it carries on aswell after Ive switched the engine off.

What you said about coolant though could be the problem as when it was at a local Toyota dealership the other day for a service they put an advisory onthe service sheet for a coolant change.

Tommy20165 Cheers to you aswell mate, The noise has stopped now but I think your diagnosis was right and if the noise comes back I'll be sure to try what you said.

Cheers guys.

• 3 weeks later...

Malky IS200 Cheers mate, Is the clutch on its way out then ? Do I have to change the clutch if I can live with the chirping noise ?

I asked a garage and they said it won't do any damage, and if you don't mind the noise, you don't need to replace it

# 3 could be the plate at the back of your brake disc, try pushing it back a little.

im going to try that aswell i get squeeking noise at low speeds aswell.

backing plates will not cause a squeek they cause a grind remember asi you've just had red stuff pads fitted(hard compound)and on those pads you have a bedding in surface as well!

# 3 could be the plate at the back of your brake disc, try pushing it back a little.

im going to try that aswell i get squeeking noise at low speeds aswell.

backing plates will not cause a squeek they cause a grind remember asi you've just had red stuff pads fitted(hard compound)and on those pads you have a bedding in surface as well!

always forget that ormi. just the squeak gets annoying lol.