Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Stupid Question?

now i know the is200 sport has lower suspension but my SE seems to be really high at the rear. i have 17" standard wheels on, so what clearance from wheel to arch should there be???....... can they be adjusted to make them higher or do i need glasses??

Mines a 99 SE and it's mega high at the rear, aparently it's not worth just changing the springs tho as it messes up the handling so best to do shocks aswell, so might aswell get coilcovers.

I think it probably depends on the state of your shocks, i.e. how worn they are so how well they will stand up to the increased demands of running on lowering springs.

I'm getting my TTE springs later this week. My car has done just under 60K miles, so I'm hoping that my shocks will be fine to handle the springs.

Mines a 99 SE and it's mega high at the rear, aparently it's not worth just changing the springs tho as it messes up the handling so best to do shocks aswell, so might aswell get coilcovers.

I think it probably depends on the state of your shocks, i.e. how worn they are so how well they will stand up to the increased demands of running on lowering springs.

I'm getting my TTE springs later this week. My car has done just under 60K miles, so I'm hoping that my shocks will be fine to handle the springs.

Don't really know much about it matey but sure I read somewhere putting different springs on standard shocks makes the rear unstable, think it was in the brakes and suspension section.

Don't really know much about it matey but sure I read somewhere putting different springs on standard shocks makes the rear unstable, think it was in the brakes and suspension section.

If the shocks are up to it, they shouldn't do (e.g. why would Lexus sell something like that ?), but you'd have to obviously get your proper geometry settings recovered or I imagine the handling would be awful. I'm getting my springs fitted at WIM on Thursday, so will get the geo reset there too, can't wait ! :D

If the shocks are up to it, they shouldn't do (e.g. why would Lexus sell something like that ?), but you'd have to obviously get your proper geometry settings recovered or I imagine the handling would be awful. I'm getting my springs fitted at WIM on Thursday, so will get the geo reset there too, can't wait ! :D

Thinking back mate it i'm sure it was only a problem if you go lower than 40mm, should be much better with the geo set up properly aswell mate, what drop are going for 35mm or 40mm.

Thinking back mate it i'm sure it was only a problem if you go lower than 40mm, should be much better with the geo set up properly aswell mate, what drop are going for 35mm or 40mm.

According to Tony's article here, up to a 35mm drop is ok but lower can bring tyre wear issues.

However, I'm guessing this is just referring to the car used from the research (Altezza), and from recent postings it seems there's a very large variety of OEM ride height depending on model year, sub-model (e.g. Sport) etc.

So I'm coming round to thinking that talking of how much to "drop" isn't very helpful, because of these large differences, and a much better guide would be how high your car ends up riding after the drop.

I've got the TTE lowering springs, which in theory are a 35mm drop but I think on my high-riding early IS200, the drop will be more than that. even though it's a Sport and in theory is already lowered a bit. I will measure when it's done and find out !

Lowered 40mm from what though Aaron ? I'm not trying to be funny, but after looking into this it seems that a relative lowering of 40mm lowering for one IS200 may result in a completely different ride height from another similarly-lowered IS200.

Along similar lines, using the same set of springs that another IS200 has used may result in a completely different relative lowering amount - i.e. because the two cars are starting at different ride heights and end up at the same height.

I also do wonder if the advertised lowering for different makes of springs are relative to the same starting height ?! e.g. does one set of "-40mm" springs give the same end result as another, given that they might have been compared against different starting points :duh:

originaly i lowered mine 40mm, didn't notice any wrong with the handling, it was just flatter going aroun dcorners, with alot less roll...

now im on d2 racing coilovers, and ive dropped it as low as it will physically go, (ie i cant get a piece of paper betweem my tyres and the arches :D)

handling was messed up majorly but once i got it set up it runs fine, handles like a dream, and sticks to the road like glue.... but i do get a huge amount of tyre wear on the inside, i changed my rears the other week, 1 side was bald on the indise and i still had 2mm of tread on the outside, this is mainly due to the set up, i asked for the 2 degree camber adjustment, better for corners bad for tyres lol