Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Wiring Help

Where are you planning on physically putting these lights ? You mention wiring them into the ignition barrel, but if you're using them as courtesy lights I wonder if there would be some other sources which would be physically nearer and easier to tap into ? Or are you putting these into the footwells ?

Where are you planning on physically putting these lights ? You mention wiring them into the ignition barrel, but if you're using them as courtesy lights I wonder if there would be some other sources which would be physically nearer and easier to tap into ? Or are you putting these into the footwells ?

hey yeah i am gonna put them into the footwells, seen that they can be wired up to the ignition barrel, just havent been able to find any wiring diagrams for it

Actually planning to do this myself too so would be useful information - I've been told that once you open it up it's quite obvious which wires are for the lighting of the ignition ring and which are for the actual ignition (as they're much thinner) but haven't had a look yet so not sure.

There's a wiring diagram here. It shows two wires going into the ignition barrel lighting, a red/black one (R-B ), and a blue/yellow one (L-Y)

ok great so i can just solder the new wires onto the wires for the ignition barrel light, would i need to fuse the system or add anything else?

ok great so i can just solder the new wires onto the wires for the ignition barrel light, would i need to fuse the system or add anything else?

To be absolutely safe it's best to use an inline fuse and a diode to prevent any potential surges going back into the car's electrics

To be absolutely safe it's best to use an inline fuse and a diode to prevent any potential surges going back into the car's electrics

ah thanks, have some fuses left over from when i did the angel eye's. is it possible to pass the wire for the passenger footwell in behind the stereo so that the wire is hidden?

ah thanks, have some fuses left over from when i did the angel eye's. is it possible to pass the wire for the passenger footwell in behind the stereo so that the wire is hidden?

Yep, haven't been back there for a while but I'm pretty sure you can pass the wire through without actually removing anything :)

Yep, haven't been back there for a while but I'm pretty sure you can pass the wire through without actually removing anything :)

ah brilliant, just hope the lights arrive soon, i hate the waiting part, i am ready now to do it

ah brilliant, just hope the lights arrive soon, i hate the waiting part, i am ready now to do it

Good luck mate, look forward to seeing the finished result! I've had all the bits sitting in a cupboard for months and still haven't got round to doing it!

How are you planning on holding the LED strips down?

Good luck mate, look forward to seeing the finished result! I've had all the bits sitting in a cupboard for months and still haven't got round to doing it!

How are you planning on holding the LED strips down?

that i am not sure of yet, i need to have a good look in the footwells and decide were i am putting it, i was thinking velcro or something, that way i can remove it if needs be

that i am not sure of yet, i need to have a good look in the footwells and decide were i am putting it, i was thinking velcro or something, that way i can remove it if needs be

Cool, it's a bit annoying under there as it's not really a flat surface.........

Cool, it's a bit annoying under there as it's not really a flat surface.........

had you any idea's for sticking it up, is there something it could be zip tied onto?

That's how DJ Wozza did it, he used those adhesive cable tie things and put a few under there. Problem with those is that they don't stick brilliantly so can come off after a while. Let me know if you have any ideas.

That's how DJ Wozza did it, he used those adhesive cable tie things and put a few under there. Problem with those is that they don't stick brilliantly so can come off after a while. Let me know if you have any ideas.

yeah i will do, gonna have a look after work and see what i can come up with, is it just a normal diode for rectification you are using?

I did this just a couple of weeks ago. Very easy to do. I just used very stick double sided tape to hold the strips up, as the actual strips were not very sticky. But you can also use velcro (never thought of that :rolleyes:). Looks the dogs danglies at night though

ah thats the ones i was looking at, will have to pick some up during the week, are you just wiring in 2, one on each light circuit, i am gonna have to pull out my notes from school, its been a long time since i wired up a circuit

Yep was planning on putting in one for each strip.......wiring should be straight forward, on the positive just stick the fuse and the diode between the supply and the strip :)

I did this just a couple of weeks ago. Very easy to do. I just used very stick double sided tape to hold the strips up, as the actual strips were not very sticky. But you can also use velcro (never thought of that :rolleyes:). Looks the dogs danglies at night though

Where did you actually mount it? Did you stick it to where it has those plastic ridges? Do you have any pics?

think i am gonna try a few different methods and see what works the best and also do a walkthrough, hopefully i remember, i get excited when bits arrive for the car and just dive straight in and forget to take pictures

ah thats the ones i was looking at, will have to pick some up during the week, are you just wiring in 2, one on each light circuit, i am gonna have to pull out my notes from school, its been a long time since i wired up a circuit

Yep was planning on putting in one for each strip.......wiring should be straight forward, on the positive just stick the fuse and the diode between the supply and the strip :)

Where did you actually mount it? Did you stick it to where it has those plastic ridges? Do you have any pics?

yeah pics of just were ya mounted them would be good, i gotta fix my soldering iron actually now that i think of it

yeah pics of just were ya mounted them would be good, i gotta fix my soldering iron actually now that i think of it

Yeah I put them on the ridge, where there is a slight lip pointing into the footwell. I'll try get some pics up later tonight

Yeah I put them on the ridge, where there is a slight lip pointing into the footwell. I'll try get some pics up later tonight

Ahh did that work? I thought about that but wasn't sure if it wasn't wide enough, or if the LEDs would be visible (would like them to be completely hidden)

Cheers, pics would be great :D

Ahh did that work? I thought about that but wasn't sure if it wasn't wide enough, or if the LEDs would be visible (would like them to be completely hidden)

Cheers, pics would be great :D

They are completly hidden, can't see them unless your head is in the footwell lol. There is plenty space and also a lip to put the wires in to keep them out the way of your feet