Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Does Your Is200 Have A Rattle, Knocking Suspension?

Martin_80

Knocking not brake related  

135 members have voted

1. 1. Knocking, rattle that is NOT related to brake components

• Yes my car has got it but recently
    • Yes my car has got it for as long as I can remember
    • No it's quiet
    • No but I've replaced.....please post
  2. 2. Did your car have a knocking sound but it's gone since you got coilovers?

• Yes it's quiet and really low :)
    • No the knocking is still there
    • Don't have coilovers

I’m not too far - just outside Epping in Essex. Let’s try to get to the bottom of this. I’ll probably be keeping the car for a while yet (had it 13 years so far), and it’s been rock solid so far. I’m probably going to change it for a Tesla Model 3.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

• 6 months later...

I'm not sure whether to be relieved or embarrassed to post up a comment in this thread.... but the moral of the story is important.  It is:  Start with the basics!

I have a 2002 IS300 Sportcross, unmodified, which has done just over 100k miles.  At the start of a long-ish trip last week I noticed a slight 'knocking' noise from the near side front.  It varied with speed, almost disappeared under gentle braking and was more noticeable when turning slightly away from the straight ahead.  It seemed to get worse after some 30-40 miles - so I turned round and came home (and we did the long trip in my wife's car instead).

Having read the forum posts, and remembering that there was a known story about mysterious knocks/rattles from the suspension, I looked carefully at the bushes, ball-joints, and shocks when we got back.  No leaks, nothing obviously broken or out of line.  I was puzzled.

Today I passed by my regular workshop and mentioned the problem.  Without even taking the car round the block, my friendly mechanic asked, with a straight face - "Have you checked the wheel-nuts?".

Errr, um, I admitted that I hadn't.

Thirty seconds later with a 21mm socket spanner - sure enough, all the nuts on the n/s front wheel were seriously loose!  Stupid me, so anxious about shocks and suspension that I had totally overlooked the most obvious thing to check.

It pains me now to own up.  But I thought I should share my embarrassment, as it was a reminder (which might also help others) how important it is to check the simple things and not necessarily fear the worst.....!

I know what I've been meaning to tell you!

This thread cropped up in conversation last time I was chatting with Dave at Lex-Tek. Now don't forget he was servicing Lexus for 20 years and these first gen IS's were common in the dealerships at the time.

I mentioned the knocking "Oh, we used to get them in all the time". And the interesting bit, Lexus used to send up to 4 shockers per corner with the instruction to keep fitting them until you get a quiet one! :biggrin:

I'll have to try and get a bit more detail next time I see him.

Wow. They fitted two sets to mine but the problem was still there - is still there. I also fitted a pair to no avail - they were oem so probably had the issue still there in the design. I’ve given up now as after 13 years I’m moving on, getting a Tesla Model 3 Performance. I’m like a kid waiting for Christmas atm.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk