Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hacked Off

Went out to my car late on this morning, and found this :

IMG_2526.jpg

IMG_2525.jpg

This was laying on the ground next to my car, so I presume it was used to do the damage. If I could get my hands on the :tsktsk: who did this ...

IMG_2524.jpg

I'm guessing that the dent in rear wing will psuh out relatively easily, but I'm also guessing I'm going to need a new (expensive ?) door surround (the second pic is the driver's door surround, the shiny black bit) :tsktsk:

That's horrendous! The door surround isn't an add on, it's just the door painted black, so a Chipsaway type repair might sort it and not be too expensive.

Sorry to see that mate, I guess the upside is that there's no paint on the wing is not damaged but probably not much consolation.......

:o

really sorry to see that mate - absoloutly disgusting!! i'd guess it was some drunken louts who were larking about for ****s and giggles!!!

try some dent repair places for the rear wing as the paint doesnt appear to be broken so you may have a good chance of sorting it for minimum expense.

hope you get it sorted matey

rob

Thanks guys. I just phone up my insurance brokers (Sky) and checked what excess I have. It's apparently £250, and even though my NCB is protected it'll probably mean an increase to next year's premium if I claim.

Parthiban - thanks, I hadn't looked at the parts diagram when I originally posted but I see what you mean now about the door. Looks like a whole new door panel would be needed if a new part is required, which looks pretty expensive. Hopefully it won't come to that. There's a small dent there, which doesn't show up well in the photo.

Rob's Lexx - yes, as you say the paint doesn't seem to be broken at the rear. There are actually two largish dents there, but both are pretty rounded in nature so I'm hoping they'll push out without too much trouble (and therefore not be too expensive).

I will speak to the insurance company themelves, but I imagine it's going to be cheaper to get this done myself.

:tsktsk: :tsktsk: So sorry to see that Stevie, thats just :tsktsk: mate,

Hope you get it sorted soon chap, and i'd pop into the estate agents to give them there sign back with a few words, being as its there property and there supposed to be responsible for it?? :tsktsk:

Really P's me off when i see that happen :megaangry: :angry:

We have a house up for sale and the board was positioned at the edge of the property, talking to the nieghbor, we agreed that in the event of it coming down it 'could' damage his cars, I assured him that I would speak to the agent. On talking to the agent his initial responce was' That's alright, the indemnity will cover any damage', needless to say I let him know that I wasn't prepared to accept this attitude and told him to move it, which he did the next day. It may be worth putting it to the agent that he is responsible as the board is his property and he must ensure that it was positioned in a safe and secure manner. Worth a try.

one thing with the rear wing is that the styling line of the car (excuse my ignorance as cant remember what its called - but the contoured line that runs along the side of the car) is in the middle of the dent and might make a normal dent repair a little more tricky?? sure it wont be a prob for the pros though mate and hope u get it sorted with minimal expense.

really :tsktsk: up. feel for ya matey.

rob

Sorry to see the damage to your car and I hope it's not too much to get it sorted.

Can't quite work out the impact angle as the dent runs up/down but to do that it would mean standing on the rear window/roof area. If that is the case it's a pity they didn't miss the car and the pole swung round between their legs and took their B******S off!

I would try the dent devil guys to get that dent out mate.

Sorry to see your Lexus looking like that Stevie.

But as the chosen one has said it might be worth a try at the estate agent, and see what they have to say about it

Thanks for the support guys. Rob, you're spot on, I took it to a repair place today and they reckon that although they can try and attempt to repair the rear panel, the folds in it (swage lines) will make it more difficult and it might need a new panel. Looks like the price of that is around £300 on its own. They reckon the smaller door dent will be easier to fix.

They're sending me an estimate tomorrow, and I'm going to take it to Toyota and get an estimate from them too.

I will try the estate agent, but I don't hold out much hope there, I have no idea where that pole would have come from, it can't have been that near my car, it obviously got taken there.

That's terrible fella, has anyone got any CCTV or anything that you could maybe catch a glimpse of them on?

Did the police get involved - just thinking maybe there would be prints on that post? Then again they're probably not interested in catching people who go around doing this sort of thing - sad world we live in :(

No CCTV I'm afraid. Yeah, ironically I was talking to a police officer (who had inadvertantly blocked my car in !) when I spotted the damage. I have reported it to the police (phoned and did that) but basically nothing's going to happen because they haven't got anything to go on, unless of course I find a neighbour who spotted who did it and happens to know who it was etc (unlikely !).

The police officer just picked up the post and chucked it to the side, so I don't think they were too interested in prints !

I took my car to Lexus/Toyota and they gave me a quote of £2,660 to repair it ! :ohmy:

Luckily a body shop just down the road from me (which I've seen a lot of expensive cars outside being repaired there, as well as more ordinary cars) has quoted a somewhat more reasonable £1,324.

Looks like it's going to be an insurance job though, with me paying the £250 excess :crybaby:

Do you know the value of your car?

Guess what I am asking is: Is it economically worth while getting your car repaired? Think you say you have a early (99/00) IS?

It must be if the insurance company is picking up the bill (- your excess).

Well I sincerely hope that they're not going to write my car off ! Don't really know what it's worth, it's 1999 but it hasn't done big mileage, only 58K. I will have to give the quotes to the insurance companies to get them to decide on it.

Some good news for today is that I took it for another quote, and the guy pulled back the boot lining and pushed out the majority of the huge rear dent. It still needs fixing there, but it looks a *lot* less bad.

I think that Lexus/Toyota were just taking the p**s and wanted to do the maximum amount of work on it that they possibly could.

If the insurance are going to pick up the bill then you may as well let Toyota do the job, at least it is going to be a good job not like the sad stories we hear on this forum from various members.

Yeah but I'd be suprised if the insurance company would agree to get Toyota to do the job when others can do the same for half the price !