Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Vibration When Braking!

FiZiX

Hey guys,

Replaced my brakes about 2500 miles ago and recently when driving along the motorway and i brake moderately to heavy... the steering wheel vibrates alittle around 80mph getting worse as it hits 60Mph, then drops off and totally stops vibrating when the speed drops to 50Mph...

Was wondering what on earth is causing it... was wondering if i needed the tracking done.

Any info would be awesome cheers

sticky calipers?

there are a few things it could be, I have a very similar problem which has gotten quite extreme my car is off the road now but changing a few things to see if it helps... I have seized up calipers so I'm told :(

Cheers for the advice,

Hmmm... checked calipers when i was changing my brakes and they seemed fine... i'll check them again and let you know..

Yeah Steve, only happens when i'm braking... its smooth as when accelarting and cruising... abit odd

it would be a sticking caliper but if you have checked that then i have no idea.

Same thing happened to me some time ago and Im told its a common fault...Brake calipers siezing. Can be expesive with a new brake caliper costing as much as £520 direct from lexus, although they can be found on eBay for £100. I have the the same problem on the left front, although it seems to come and go. Does anyone know if bleeding the brakes might help?

Cheers for the thoughts guys... will check the calipers and wheel balancing out...

warped discs mate, I had the exact same thing at the same speeds as you, replaced my front 2 discs and car is fine now :) and my discs were not old either

Hmmm that had crossed my mind but they weren't cheap discs, and not really done that much harsh braking... quite a chilled driver. It'll be proper irritating if it is warped discs, takes so long to replace them and their not cheap... cheers for the heads up.

Had exactly the same problem on my 99 IS 200, replaced the front pads next thing I get vibration when braking from higher speeds.

I fixed mine by having the discs machined now perfect braking at any speed, of course an alternative is to replace the discs as Dan Harris suggests, warped discs does seem to be common on the 200.

I just had a similar problem I was getting vibration when braking every now and then. Then we went toLondon about a 150 mile round trip and got very bad on the way home (worryingly bad!) When we got home the nearside brake assembly was really hot suggesting a seized caliper. So yesterday I took the caliper off and one of the pistons had seized. so I clamped the good one with a G clamp and pressed the brake pedal until the piston was about an inch out. Then sprayed a load of WD40 under the rubber protection boot then used another G clamp to work it back into the caliper. Repeated this a few times.

Went for long drive this morning and the problem seems to have been solved :D The brakes not getting hot.

Just got to replace the discs and pads now as it has warped the disc on the nearside.

I just had a similar problem I was getting vibration when braking every now and then. Then we went toLondon about a 150 mile round trip and got very bad on the way home (worryingly bad!) When we got home the nearside brake assembly was really hot suggesting a seized caliper. So yesterday I took the caliper off and one of the pistons had seized. so I clamped the good one with a G clamp and pressed the brake pedal until the piston was about an inch out. Then sprayed a load of WD40 under the rubber protection boot then used another G clamp to work it back into the caliper. Repeated this a few times.

Went for long drive this morning and the problem seems to have been solved :D The brakes not getting hot.

Just got to replace the discs and pads now as it has warped the disc on the nearside.

good to hear you got it sorted mate