Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Question About Navigation

Hi,

New here, spent hours reading through all the useful info, so firstly thanks to all for all the info!

Now to my question: I have an IS250 (With 08 Nav DVD) but if I miss a turn or take a wrong turn, the sat nav doesn't seem to redirect from my mistake..

Is this a problem or just standard on the MM system?

Thanks

Do you mean that it doesn't tell you to 'turn around where possible'? Or that it does not select the next best route from that point? In my experience it does immediately find an alternative route, and usually does a decent job, but does not always choose the route I would have expected and sometimes, yes, it would indeed be better to do a u-turn. When using the 2005 version recently (I have only just updated the disc) I was perplexed by its (her?) stubborn desire to route me from Leicester to Aberystwyth via somewhere just south of Manchester. I accepted the proferred route (quick 1) without checking it very carefully - I thought, oh yes, she's offering a route using the M6 toll motorway, rather than the shorter but congested route via Birmingham M6, but then I found she wanted to keep sending me North at the end of the M6 toll instead of cutting back down to the M54 or taking the A5 to Telford, so I ignored her and took the M54 anyway. She did not like that and kept trying to send me North again, and she perversely kept this up (even asking me to turn around!) until I was more or less in Shrewsbury. The tom tom I used to use seemed quicker to adjust and less stubborn in that respect. But in most other ways the Lexus version is much better. On that same journey the split screen showing major junctions and roundabouts in large scale proved a big help when navigating through dense fog at night. without it some of those junctions would have been very tricky indeed.

No satnav is perfect, so it does make sense to preview the routes offered and if necessary select an intermediate destination to encourage a more sensible choice of route.

Do you mean that it doesn't tell you to 'turn around where possible'? Or that it does not select the next best route from that point? In my experience it does immediately find an alternative route, and usually does a decent job, but does not always choose the route I would have expected and sometimes, yes, it would indeed be better to do a u-turn. When using the 2005 version recently (I have only just updated the disc) I was perplexed by its (her?) stubborn desire to route me from Leicester to Aberystwyth via somewhere just south of Manchester. I accepted the proferred route (quick 1) without checking it very carefully - I thought, oh yes, she's offering a route using the M6 toll motorway, rather than the shorter but congested route via Birmingham M6, but then I found she wanted to keep sending me North at the end of the M6 toll instead of cutting back down to the M54 or taking the A5 to Telford, so I ignored her and took the M54 anyway. She did not like that and kept trying to send me North again, and she perversely kept this up (even asking me to turn around!) until I was more or less in Shrewsbury. The tom tom I used to use seemed quicker to adjust and less stubborn in that respect. But in most other ways the Lexus version is much better. On that same journey the split screen showing major junctions and roundabouts in large scale proved a big help when navigating through dense fog at night. without it some of those junctions would have been very tricky indeed.

No satnav is perfect, so it does make sense to preview the routes offered and if necessary select an intermediate destination to encourage a more sensible choice of route.

I got an 07 250SE L but not exactly sure what version DVD I have installed. On a whole I do like the Navigation system especially the way it shows the junctions etc in detail.

I recently went from Birmingham to Skegness, I selected the quickest route and it gave me three options all via Peterborough with an trip distance of 180 miles.

From where I live in Birmingham the quickest routes are eith M6, M69, A406, A46 and A52 which is roughly 120 miles. The other route is M42, A42, M1 bypass Nottingham and pick up the A52 with a distance of around 130 Miles, so why the satnav chose the routes it did I do not know.

On the way back to Birmingham I gave it a whirl and again and again it wanted to send me via Peterborough. It kept trying to redirect me to Peterborough until I got past Granthaam and was on my way to Nottingham before it decided to use the route that I was using, I really do not know why itwanted to go the route it did. Any other Satnav I ahve used opted for the quickest route as it does on google maps as well.

Maybe she is getting us to spend more time in the car :unsure:

I mean that as soon as I stray off the suggested route it does not correct my mistake by either telling me to turn around or calculate a new route...I end up having to stop and re-enter the destination from where I am.

Is there a setting for this? I can't seem to find one..

Also, is there somewhere to set the time on the navigation system? It doesn't seem to show the arrival time either just shows: "--:-- GMT" with no numbers..

There is a setting to switch on and off the auto reroute - first off make sure that it's switched to "on" :)

Although the problem with the time to arrival seems odd, have you tried clicking on that as well and changing the options?

I couldn't seem to find the settings for the re-route...is it the thing in the RDS-Traffic info settings?

With regard to the time thing...when I click where it says "--:--GMT" it comes up with a button which says "Arrival Time" but pressing that does nothing....I know they changed the Battery in my car before it was delivered to me - would that make a difference?

It's a 55 reg, with 2008 Navigation DVD installed by the way..

ok this is a bit silly but i found the answer so I'm going to answer my own question in case someone else has the same problem:

I simply had to reset all memory from the system and it all started working!!!

Thanks for all you suggestions though everyone...