Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Bank Charges

GWilso

Hi guys a while since I've been on here this is non lexus related i know but sorry I'm just so peed off I want to shout about it,

story My bank the one with the horse.......

Feel its OK to charge stupid amount of money for going overdrawn I've been away for a couple of weeks and come back to find a nice letter from them stating I had gone £144 into an unauthorized overdraft (I don't have any overdraft never have done never will)

Before I went away I used my current account to pay of my Credit Balance and used that whilst I was away I forgot about 3 debits that were due to leave my account which had come out and hence sending me overdrawn........

Charges: £20 for every day I'm in the red up to 10 days in one month period+ £15 for each transaction they "so kindly paid for me" so the full 10 days have now passed and 3 debits were paid a total of £245 in bank charges :tsktsk: :tsktsk: :tsktsk: :tsktsk:

I'm just so angry and I accept that this was my error and would be a Happy to pay a "Small Charge" but £245 I mean come on this is the 1st time I've done this with this bank :unsure: but when it happened with my previous bank I paid a single charge of £35 which they credited due to my good history i've phoned this bank and they almost laughed at me at for even suggesting a refund.

I know there will be some people out there who feel that this is my fault and I should pay and I agree, its the level of charging that disgusts me really how the hell can banks be in so much debt with profits like this one alone and in the current climate I'm sure there is a lot more people out there racking up these charges too

Thanks for listening feel better now not :tsktsk:

move banks !

if we all did it they may start listening

i know that there all much the same though

they make money on interest on your money, as that is so low at the moment they are having to find it from somewhere else !

Bloody hell that's seriously high!

I paid them £9 to make a payment to someone in Sweden - not sure why they charge so much for European payments as at the end of the day it's all squirted into one big system they all use?

Heres one for you, I bank with the Crapifax, (not for much longer) I went and drew £200 out of there cash point (at the crapifax branch) and it only paid out £40 so went into the branch and asked for the rest of it, she says sorry she couldnt do that as they would have to check the machine for errors which would take upto 2 weeks?? :tsktsk:

So i wasnt very happy about that and then a week later i get a letter saying the machine had no errors and i couldnt have my £160 back, so went into the branch and had a go about it? a week after that i get another letter again saying sorry but it was my mistake and charged me £30 admin costs?, so again i went into the branch but this time blew my top at them, still waiting now for the £30 charge and the £160 back, and the cheeky sods because when they charged me the £30 charge this took me into the red, so they then charged me £35 for being overdrawn :tsktsk:

And i'm still waiting for it back, i've even put a complaint into the onbudsman about it but still waiting for the outcome! so i'm £205 down and the crapifax are laughing as there £205 up at the moment for doing nothing :tsktsk:

I had the same thing with the same bank. They did send out the rates to me, about 6 months or so before i got a couple of hundred quid in unauthourised charges, but it went in the heap with all the other circular mail that comes through the letterbox.

It's an outrageous cost, but they do tell you about it, leaving you with little choice but to pay. I tried to get the fee reduced, but none of the banks seem to be as flexible as they were...

I do my best to make sure that i don't exceed my balance these days, but it was an expensive lesson to learn.

That is really bad behaviour, I know they're in trouble but surely this isn't the way to get them out of it...........

My bank and I'm sure most others just charge a one-off £15 or £20 for going overdrawn, and then interest on the balance until you go back to a positive balance. I'd definitely switch banks as that is unbelievable to charge £20 per day that you're overdrawn - is that in the terms and conditions?

One thing that's worked for me a few times in the past is to ring them up, apologise for it and as long as you don't do this on a regular basis they will most of the time waive the fees - worth a shot :)

Ring up customer services (theres a misnomer!) and tell them you wish to close your account and transfer all funds to HSBC/Barclays/NatWest whatever.........because of this totally unfair charge.......see what happens next. :shifty:

Ring up customer services (theres a misnomer!) and tell them you wish to close your account and transfer all funds to HSBC/Barclays/NatWest whatever.........because of this totally unfair charge.......see what happens next. :shifty:

Oh i will :shifty: thanks

You can also phone up your bank and make a DSAR request. They will then provide you with a list of charges applied over the past 6 years (5 in scotland) and you tell them you want a refund including interest. Although the courts are still deciding on an outcome and what constitutes a ''fair'' charge, the bank will hold the request until a decision has been made and will refund you accordingly. I know its not ideal as you won't be getting the money back straight away, but will will be a nice wee bonus in a few months!! They might even decide to give you a full/part refund there and then. Worth a go!!

The last time i went into the red like that was when "the one with the horse" only charged £10 a day only after a few days had past and even then there was talks about reducing it. Now thou they are taking the mic. They are charging people way too much for the situation, i mean, it's just a number on their computer, admin fees, what a joke, isn;t that the reason why the people there are employed anyway? Thats like the bus driver has to charge you more fee because there are more people in the bus?!?! If someone goes into the red, send a letter to that person and give them notice or get the person to contact the bank. Then after the due date, if the balance is not corrected, then the bank a reason to charge the earth. But they are bascially giving fines out right away as they know that's the best way to accumulate charges. They got this country the state it's at, we bail them out using tax payers money, now they are stitching us back lol.

On a different note, you haven't been scammed by the crooks who use tape or facial over the cash machine by any chance? If that is the case then yes the cash would have been given. Which sounds about right as only a few notes came out, rather than the whole lot.