Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Help!

jaysingh1

Hi All,

I've got a problem with my car, but not too sure what it is, maybe you guys can help?

Basically, my car has smoke coming out of it and i can also see a bit of liquid near the the driver side headlight and also under the radiator, i thought it would be water but it looks more like oil, and its kind of brownish...but the car isn't overheating or anything. also there is some red type of stuff on the coolant lid when you open it. Any advise or help will be much appreciated. :blush:

When you say it's got smoke coming out of it, from where ? Do you mean from the engine bay, or is it just coming from the exhaust, because IS200s do seem to produce quite a lot of steam.

The Toyota coolant is red, so your coolant lid sounds fine.

Don't know about the liquid that's coming out, is this in the engine bay itself or has it dripped out onto the ground ? If you use your hand above where the liquid is, can you find any pipes or similar that appear to be a bit wet ?

When you say it's got smoke coming out of it, from where ? Do you mean from the engine bay, or is it just coming from the exhaust, because IS200s do seem to produce quite a lot of steam.

The Toyota coolant is red, so your coolant lid sounds fine.

Don't know about the liquid that's coming out, is this in the engine bay itself or has it dripped out onto the ground ? If you use your hand above where the liquid is, can you find any pipes or similar that appear to be a bit wet ?

Hi mate,

Thanks for the reply, the smoke is coming out from the engine, it wasn't really that bad, until i put some water in where the coolant goes as i thought the coolant might have leaked out quite a bit. but once i added the water at work and i was on my way home the car started over heating and there was steam coming out of the radiator, i had some one have a look at the liquid and it seems like it was the coolant/anti freeze. But there is this foam type of seal at the top of the radiator, and when the car over heats the steam starts coming from there. So really confused now, i personally think it could be that i need a new radiator.

Have you checked your coolant expansion tank ? It's behind the radiator, and has a plastic cap that you can take off. There's a clear window at the back of the tank that you can look at to see the level. Don't top it up with water though, get the proper Toyota coolant for that.

If you take the oil cap off, what does the underside of that look like ? Is it just oily or is there a mayonnaise-like substance in there ?

Have you checked your coolant expansion tank ? It's behind the radiator, and has a plastic cap that you can take off. There's a clear window at the back of the tank that you can look at to see the level. Don't top it up with water though, get the proper Toyota coolant for that.

If you take the oil cap off, what does the underside of that look like ? Is it just oily or is there a mayonnaise-like substance in there ?

Hi, I can't really have a look at the coolant level at the moment, as i'm at work and took the other car to work.I did have a look under the oil cap, and there was only oil there, no water mixed, so i don't think it could be the head gasket, but i have been told that the seal on the radiator to fail is a common fault? is that true? if so then i think it could be just changing the radiator. where can i get the Toyota coolant from?

You should be able to pick the Toyota coolant up from any Toyota dealer, they should have it in stock. You want either the red or the pink stuff (not green), check with the dealer as to which they think should be right for your car (think it depends on model year).

Good news that your head gasket seems ok. Not sure about the radiator seal thing, might be worth doing a search for "radiator" on here, I seem to remember someone looking for a new radiator fairly recently.