Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Young Is200 Owners

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:ohmy:

How do you young guys (I used to be young once - I think ! :lol:) justify paying so much for insurance relative to the value of the car ? I'm just curious. Is it just something you accept for being able to drive a lovely car like a Lex ?

Let my give you my take on this.

Back in 2003 (I was 23 then- just left uni and started my first job after graduation), I went out and bought my 2000 model IS200(SE) for £13k. It was a 2.5 year old car then. Insurance cost me £1900 (0 NCD, but had a few years driving experience on my dad's policy). I didn't mind paying £1900 in insurance, as my car (then) was worth more than £1900.

Back then all my income was spent on me and my IS200. Fast forward to 2009 (I'm 29 now)- now I have a wife, mortgage, bills, wanting to start a family etc, I now cannot justify spending £13k on a car now. Why??? My circumstances/priorities have now changed. I have other things now that come before the IS200- this doesn't mean my 8.5 year old IS200 is neglected, still get comments on how new it still looks when its all washed and polished.

It will happen to you young un's as well!!!

im 25 paying with 1 yr NCB supercharger declared and its the sports model which makes a difference apparently and im paying 1300

joke is i was insured with admiral till i got my charger and they wanted 1500 before the charger and wouldnt even quote for the charger so i changed and got in cheaper go figure that one out lol

Rabs

How do you young guys (I used to be young once - I think ! :lol:) justify paying so much for insurance relative to the value of the car ? I'm just curious. Is it just something you accept for being able to drive a lovely car like a Lex ?

I was thinking this too !

I don't think i could justify paying over a grand now. I pay £450 and I'm 25.

Tinygsy - Who are you insured with to be paying £250 !!!! How many NCB do you have too ?

I was thinking this too !

I don't think i could justify paying over a grand now. I pay £450 and I'm 25.

Tinygsy - Who are you insured with to be paying £250 !!!! How many NCB do you have too ?

NFU is the national farmers union, great for insurance and you don't have to be a farmer to go with them.

I just could not justify spending that sort of money on car insurance, mine is expensive but the car is very modified so I don't think the £495 I pay (comp. all mods declared, like for like replacement PNCB etc) is really that outrageous.

I think it's not so much the relative value, it's more that it's the going rate for insurance anyway. What I mean is this: the young un's could pay £700 a year to insure a Saxo worth £1500. Or, they could pay £1000 to insure a Lexus worth £3500. They have to pay £700 for insurance anyway, so may as well pay a bit more and get a nicer car to drive round in.

NFU is National Farmers Union, one of the local insurance companies is a broker for them.

I also hold a full hgv licence with 7 years no claims

7k!!!! You could buy another IS for that. When I was 20, (a distant memory now!) I paid 2K to insure a Mercedes 190E 2.0 which was two years old at the time with 0 no claims bonus. It was fully kitted out & lowered which didn`t help the premium, but saying that i thought 2K wasn`t that bad considering i`d just paid 17K for it.

I`m sure if you shop about you could defo get a better deal. Enjoy the Lexus & your youth, cos that will soon fly by as i`m sure will the Lexus!!

7k!!!! You could buy another IS for that. When I was 20, (a distant memory now!) I paid 2K to insure a Mercedes 190E 2.0 which was two years old at the time with 0 no claims bonus. It was fully kitted out & lowered which didn`t help the premium, but saying that i thought 2K wasn`t that bad considering i`d just paid 17K for it.

I`m sure if you shop about you could defo get a better deal. Enjoy the Lexus & your youth, cos that will soon fly by as i`m sure will the Lexus!!

Nearly got a 190E cossy a few years ago, wish I had 'cause they are fetching proper money now.

IS200, 23yrs old, 3 yrs NCB, 3points - £450 fully comp on a multicar policy with my mum - ADMIRAL

Multicar dropped my policy £200!!

Hi guys im 24 I work as a car sales man do your job can really make a difference to how much you pay. But I pay 520 with 4NC that with my NCB protected on a 04/04 IS200 LE

Dude how much?????

Iam 25 and pay £380 for my is200 with adrain flux 4 years NCB, been with them for years. Had my MR2 mk1 with them from the age of 23, first year that was £800 then went down to £450 and was £380 the last time i renewed then when i changed to the is200 didnt change at all, bonus. Give them ago, they'll beat any quote from another company.

I think I paid about £240 from More Than including cashback which I will explain shortly. I'm 27, 7 years protected NCB, IS200 Sport, no mods, fully comp.

*Disclaimer* Everyone I've told this to didn't know about it, but forgive me if I'm telling you guys something you already know. I realise this is my first post but I'm not advertising anything and am not affiliated with any of these companies, just showing you how to save a bit of cash, as thanks for all the valuable info I've gained off this forum.

Comparison sites like confused.com, comparethemarket etc. get paid referral fees by the insurance company for sending them new clients.

Example: you use confused.com and it gives you the cheapest quote by Esure. You click the "Buy" button and it sends you to esure's site, you fill in the stuff and buy it there, job done. In the background, Esure track that you were linked from confused.com and pay them small (and sometimes not so small) fee as a thank you for bringing them a customer. This is how they make money, everyone's happy, customer got the lowest quote, Esure got a new customer, confused.com get a referral fee.

However there is a way for the customer to get that referral fee themselves by acting as their own middleman. There are websites that run cashback schemes. The idea is they act as the referrers and get paid the fee, then they pay it back to the customer. The one I use is Quidco but there are others. It's been going for quite a while now and most major online businesses are on the scheme.

It works like this:

1) Use a comparison site to find the top 5 or so cheapest quotes.

2) Sign up to Quidco and look up what cashback offers are going on for those companies. These are a few of the current deals, they change all the time though:

MoreThan: £68

Swiftcover: £28

esure: £45

LV: £40

Sheila's Wheels: £45

3) Work out which is the cheapest overall including cashback. For example its MoreThan. Then you click the MoreThan link on Quido.com which sends you to MoreThan's website where you fill in your details just as before. IMPORTANT: make sure you don't close your browser window after clicking the Quidco link until you've paid the money or it won't track.

4) Wait for the cashback to be paid into your bank account. The only thing is it's not a fast process, it often takes months to clear, but you can set it up to do a BACs transfer into your account, or get a cheque. The only payment Quidco get is £5 out of your earnings every year as an admin fee. I think there are other companies which don't charge a fee, but I don't think they offer as good deals.

This year I got £45 back, year before I got £75.

Quidco won't spam you, I don't think I've ever got an email from them, and they've been around a long time. It also works on tons of online shops, I think one of the only major places that doesn't do it is amazon. Places like play.com and hmv will do up to 6% on cds/dvds. The big lump sums from insurance companies/mobile phones are what makes it worth it

A few deals that are currently on:

iTunes: 6%

Vodafone: £90 for a (pay monthly) phone sale- per phone

Tesco: £5 for first genuine new registration and first order with Tesco Grocery

MoreThan: £75 for home insurance

Also the other thing which is more obvious advice, get a new quote every year as insurance companies are sneaky as hell. I've been with MoreThan for 3 years now and every year I've made a brand new quote and it's been significantly cheaper than their renewal quote, even with their advertised 20% discount for being a loyal customer. And cashback on top of that makes it all the more sweeter. Hope this helps some of you guys. These cars aint the cheapest to run, so every little bit you can save is good :)