Hi Guy's

Can anyone tell me when you need to change the timing belt on the IS220D ?

Thanks

Lexus Bristol told me the 220d does not have a belt, it has a chain which lasts the life of the engine so we do not need to worry about that aspect of things.

egnot is correct,the is has a chain and not a belt.

Hi Guy's

Thanks

they told me the same in service, however the cd I've got with the car says something else - 5y or 150.000kms, if I remember correctly.

Hi Guy's

Thanks

they told me the same in service, however the cd I've got with the car says something else - 5y or 150.000kms, if I remember correctly.

The 250 Petrol engine has a timing chain, but cannot say that the 220 diesel has. Perhaps someone could check the Haynes manual for the Toyota Aventsis :whistling: .

I asked the same when I purchased my secondhand is220d last week from lexus - and was told that my 07 model has a chain - and doesn't need replacing...

like most lexus engines nowadays -

both IS 220 and 250 have chains theres no need to worry about either regarding servicing.

just ensure you keep your oil and filter changed at the 10k/1 year intervals and it should be problem free.

tango,you may need the haynes manual when your engine needs it's top end rebuilding. :ohmy:

tango,you may need the haynes manual when your engine needs it's top end rebuilding. :ohmy:

My car is 3 years old now and out of warranty anyway, but If it was going to suffer from cold rattle on start up or interior trim rattles, I'm sure it would have done so by now. Apart from the slightly excessive wind noise that it had from new (Lexus Bristol fixed), the front seat belt recoiler change-out, the rear brake caliper change-out, and the fuel pipe change-out, the car has been perfect :lol: .

Anyway, after a great deal of searching I've found a cutaway pic of the Lexus diesel engine, and you can see it's definitely fitted with a timing chain. No need to get an Avensis Haynes Manual after all :whistling:

800pxlexusdieselengine.jpg

those diesel engines are so shiny,are the petrols as shiny also.i am also out of warranty,no worries 55k and strong.

btw tango,how is the ceramiclear holding up?

those diesel engines are so shiny,are the petrols as shiny also.i am also out of warranty,no worries 55k and strong.

btw tango,how is the ceramiclear holding up?

The petrol is a V6 so of course it looks even more impressive :lol:

engine5.jpg

The Ceramiclear on the front panel, grill surround and spoiler is holding up really well. It does have some impact damage from the usual crap coming off the motorway surface but it has only marked the clearcoat and not chipped at all. Previously as you all know the Lexus coatings would have chipped down to the primer coat. Very pleased with it, so may get the bonnet done when it gets so bad that the touch-up kit no longer hacks it.

It is a chain here is the part number 1350626010 for mine on a 55 plated 220d

post-5094-1240272005.png

you may find a tensioner for the chain and as suggested by the chain tensioner sliper, i would check the service interval for the chain tension unless its confirmed its an automatic item

the chain tensioner is controlled by oil pressure -so its 'automatic' or self adjusting. the chain tensioner presses onto the chain slipper and there is no service intervals for these.