Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Moderator Re Think

Rabster

Do you think there should be a Shake up in the mod department and rules to be outlined that all members decide upon  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Should forum members beable to have a decision in what the mods do or dont do

• Yes
    • No

I've voted no, the incident with Wozza was unfortunate and I do feel it probably could have been handled a little better (of course I don't have all the facts, but if Wozza didn't feel it was fully resolved then it wasn't handled perfectly imo).

However, having been on here since not too long after the club was started (when was it started?) I've always felt the mods did a great job and have built this into a fantastic forum. Obviously it is never going to be possible for everyone to be happy, but they do a damn good job of making sure 99% are.

Even if we had a say, there's no saying we would be happy then either, it would just give us less to complain about but the problem would still be the same (like government :lol: )

I don't want to sit on the fence, but in this I feel I have to. I reiterate that while Wozza was happy to give up his moderator status, it appears he wasn't fully comfortable as to the reasons why and this should have been given to him.

However, I think that should be settled off the public boards to make the parties involved satisfied (it has nothing to do with us) and this one incident shouldn't lead us to forget all the tireless work people like Steve, Mat and Bazza put in behind the scenes to keep all this going.

I agree with,this forum would not work if member had a say in what happened or not, and i do support mods, as the work there put in is not know by many of us.

However mods do have to conduct in an appropriate way, and if one mod gets stipped due to issues and another mod doesnt, where is the fairness in that?

I am always up for suggestions, my inbox is always open, in the past i have had recomendations from members of mods and i have always placed them up for vote to the team.

However due to my job and possibly a new career in the city soon (hope i get it), and being married (was single when things started here) i struggle to find time to do the jobs i used to do. So thats why a few things have not been as strong as they used to be. My career must come first to feed my family.

I rely on my team to help, and they have been absolutely fantastic help. But so has the members making the club an absolute dream of a forum, I have been on a few other places and this forum is the most friendliest.

If anyone wants to suggest a staff member then please Pm me, mat or barrie and we will place a team vote.

Also before this thread starts going off the rails for some reason, if you have problems with the way things are run then get in touch, I will be happy to call you and have a chat about it ;)

I am always up for suggestions, my inbox is always open, in the past i have had recomendations from members of mods and i have always placed them up for vote to the team.

However due to my job and possibly a new career in the city soon (hope i get it), and being married (was single when things started here) i struggle to find time to do the jobs i used to do. So thats why a few things have not been as strong as they used to be. My career must come first to feed my family.

I rely on my team to help, and they have been absolutely fantastic help. But so has the members making the club an absolute dream of a forum, I have been on a few other places and this forum is the most friendliest.

If anyone wants to suggest a staff member then please Pm me, mat or barrie and we will place a team vote.

Also before this thread starts going off the rails for some reason, if you have problems with the way things are run then get in touch, I will be happy to call you and have a chat about it ;)

can't say fairer than that ^^^^

hats off to steve and the crew for the work they do - IMO, they sometimes don't get the recognition. this forum is the best i've visited/been a member of by some distance!!

rob

To be perfectly honest i doesnt matter to me who is a moderator or what a moderator can or cant do. All i want to do is come on here and try and offer any help i can with questions members may have. What goes on behind the scenes with the running of the site has no concern to me.

I once was a moderator and i do know it can be hard work sometimes also

Chris

I've been a member on here for a number of years now, i still don't know how the mods are chosen :question:

I do remember, some members putting them selfs forwards for eg group buy organiser many years ago now. There was something else to :question:

In this last episode with Wozza, the husband & wife mods team don't seem to work, as the wife saying one thing and the husband backing her up, thats only natural, but don't work.

Maybe we should have mods for different parts/sections of the club, we have many parts, and i know John sorts the meets section out, just using that as example. each running his/her section.

Good luck with the job Steve and marriage, been married for 5 years now (since age 16) and its something you cant replace.

I will PM you later after work in regards to specifics, and would not like to see this thread become the same as the othrs.

and the suggesstion above is a good idea, mods for different areas, ive seen it on other sites and it works well.

hi gord

Usually it is suggested my member or a mod team member will suggest it in the mods area for their opinion.. we then are all asked in the team how we think that member contributes and is a regular member is and his manner of how her she communicates. Helpfullness goes a long way.

We are not a member chosen team, its a private run forum. Some clubs run votes and staff are voted in. We chose not to do it this way. Thats the way we like it as we are a private small run forum.

Lets get things clear, a moderator is not some sort of g*d over others and they have been blessed with the role as some superior being. They are simply asked to watch over things to keep the boards cool and clean. They are volunteers as they have a keen interest. They do a marvelous job.

Gord, if you would like me to call you to clear it up then please PM me your number. Happy to make things clear.

Remember We are just a small internet forum.

Good luck with the job Steve and marriage, been married for 5 years now (since age 16) and its something you cant replace.

I will PM you later after work in regards to specifics, and would not like to see this thread become the same as the othrs.

and the suggesstion above is a good idea, mods for different areas, ive seen it on other sites and it works well.

please do mate.. defo clear up some issues.

I should of communicated these a lot clearer, but again kids, wives and jobs get on top.

We used to have roles per area.. but problem was that if a spammer came on and spammed the IS200 area and only the GS300 moderator was on he was pretty helpless and could not clear up spam. So we decided global mods were better as we stood a good chace that a mod would be about at all times of the day and night.

We have no problems for 8 years, i would like to make sure we hit 10 years!!!

personally i cannot have a good holiday without making sure i am near a blimmin computer to check the sites, last year barrie was so helpful and i could relax a little. mat has also been busy working for her madge.

Hi Steve, good luck with your job application.

With things like warnings and bans, does a Moderator make these decisions on their own,

or do they run it past the Mod/Management team for discussion ?

Tommy.

hi gord

Usually it is suggested my member or a mod team member will suggest it in the mods area for their opinion.. we then are all asked in the team how we think that member contributes and is a regular member is and his manner of how her she communicates. Helpfullness goes a long way.

We are not a member chosen team, its a private run forum. Some clubs run votes and staff are voted in. We chose not to do it this way. Thats the way we like it as we are a private small run forum.

Lets get things clear, a moderator is not some sort of g*d over others and they have been blessed with the role as some superior being. They are simply asked to watch over things to keep the boards cool and clean. They are volunteers as they have a keen interest. They do a marvelous job.

Gord, if you would like me to call you to clear it up then please PM me your number. Happy to make things clear.

Remember We are just a small internet forum.

Thanks for that Steve, i know a mods job is not easy one, as many a member has there own opinions, and just being a normal member i do know more than most members what is going on here just by the number of years/friends ive made on here :D

I will send you a pm with my number

Hi Steve, good luck with your job application.

With things like warnings and bans, does a Moderator make these decisions on their own,

or do they run it past the Mod/Management team for discussion ?

Tommy.

warnings can be issued without the team vote, as this is not a ban. Banning can be made by management if they see fit to do so. Abuse, spamming and being an idiot which degrades the boards will result in a ban (show me a forum who does not do this). But at least 2 of the 3 managers must authorise it. Obviously registering to spam results in a ban anyway. However, i will never tolerate a mod being abused for doing his role. No one deserves that for running an enthusiasts site.

Usually it is put up as a management and mod vote if it is a long term problem.

Warnings are given, it's not the end of the world. If a mod sees that he would like to revoke that warning then he can do so. A few have had their warnings removed. We do not want to ban members, we simply want a friendly board and a warning is just to remind you of that. Most are taken away after a short while. Anyway it is not that everyone can see each others warnings.

Mistakes can be made, we are all human, some people make mistakes daily. I have had my fair share over the years I admit. But these things are forgotten about and people move on.

So lets move on to helping others.

can't say fairer than that ^^^^

hats off to steve and the crew for the work they do - IMO, they sometimes don't get the recognition. this forum is the best i've visited/been a member of by some distance!!

rob

Ditto this, have to say I'm impressed with the way this thread has gone, it's really how the first one should have gone too as a civilised discussion :)

Good luck Steve, hope you get the new job :D

I'm not 100% clear what the question in the original post is asking (sorry Rabster, probably just me thinking too hard about it), but as someone that's moderated other forums in the past, here are my views on related questions :

Should mods be voted in/out by the members ? No, I don't think so, I can't really see that working, based on experience of choosing mods on other forums. Mods could be suggested by members perhaps but it should be up to the management and existing mod team to decide if they're be suitable, based on what kind of stuff they know goes on (e.g. there might be various deleted postings which very few members ever get to see because the mods have already acted). e.g. just because someone seems like a nice person doesn't necessarily mean they'd make a good mod (making a *very* general point here, nothing related to any incidents/members on LOC)

Should mods be accountable to members ? Yes, absolutely. But the main way to do this should be for members with complaints about any other member (whether a mod or not) to take this to the management who can then see if action is necessary.

Should members be told why action is taken against a moderator if that happens ? No, that is between the management and the moderator. The moderator of course deserves a full explanation of why action has been taken, just as a regular member deserves to be told why he's been banned/warned/etc. If the moderator chooses to share this information with other members then of course that's up to him.

Should mods set a good example in their postings ? Yes, absolutely. If, say, a member is rude/agressive to a moderator then that's wrong. But it doesn't justify a moderator being rude/agressive in return, that's much worse since the moderator should be setting a good example. Otherwise it looks like "one rule for mods, another rule for the rest".

Do mods make mistakes ? Yes, of course they do, just like any other human being. Being able to say sorry when you make a mistake should be one of the prerequisites of being a mod.

Just my 2p's worth.

Thanks for the voice of sanity in your posts on this Steve, and good luck on the job front ! :D

Guest inicol63

Steve I have sent you a message via JOHNBOY sorry for some reason I could not send it to you direct.

I also think that the current way is the best method of choosing mods and I support this.

But all of us on here need to show respect to all at all times.

This was not the case last night.

This is not the kind of experience I enjoy or want to be involved with again

LOC needs to get back to a family club and the sooner the better.

Guest inicol63
hmm strange my pm box is not full.. had message from others.

I will awaits johns forwarding.

Hi

Steve i think this was my fault i used the word admin ops!

I have resent it to you Thanks

I have voted no. I do however think Gold members, as we pay, should be at least be asked sometimes about descisions being made. What happened to Wozza, while unfortunate and something I feel maybe shouldnt have happened, is not one of them.