Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Does Anyone Know Dreamweaver? I Need Help Please!

oh bugger....I did my dissertation on website development but made the website in frontpage but this one the teacher wants it in dreamweaver but its really doing my nut in. All I wanna do is have the content frame display the right html file when I click on the button in the banner/nav frame but it wont target correctly...its really stresssing me out and i'm gonna end up throwing my laptop across the room soon if i dont sort it

Guest inicol63

I also only use Front page.

Have you asked google how do i do this, might be worth a try.

Good luck when your there you can train the rest of us.

I have used Dreamweaver in the past to do my own website, but it was a couple of years ago so a bit rusty now. Not too sure what you want to do, frames are good if used properly, more advanced than the easier/simpler tables and cells giving you much more control. What version are you using I am on V8? Do you have any previous experience or books to guide you?.

Tony

I used front page and tables for the website i made for my dissertion and thought frames would be different and a bit more advanced so therefore upping my mark for this module but seems like i may have to change if i dont have any luck lol.

I gotta make a website and will basically be around 5 pages but wanted to use a fixed top frame which would have the banner and menu system on it with the lower frame displaying content but I cant get the menu to link properly and display in the lower frame. I've done it before but in pure html but was a while ago and cba writing it all manually so thought that it would be quicker just doing all of it in dreamweaver but maybe not...

All I need to know is how to make a flash button link properly and display the content in the correct frame really. Also how do I create a new page for the second page of the site? Is it just a matter of creating a new html file then linking that with the flash buttons? I've tried setting the target but whatever I choose in the set target dropdown list it doesnt display in the lower "content" frame.

Without getting too complicated, make sure you give each frame a name, and when you link the hyperlink for that button aim it at the target that the frame is called. If you look at the "properties" panel, the target dropdown box should give you the names of the frames avaliable to use+ others like :-

_top— This opens a linked web page in the entire browser window.

_self— This opens a linked web page in the same window or frame that contains the link. This is the default setting.

_parent— This opens a linked web page in the parent frameset. If the parent frameset is not nested, the linked page will fill the entire browser window.

_blank— This opens a linked web page in a new browser window.

To answer a bit of your query regarding the pages. The method I use is to create 'copies' of the index page and re-name them accordingly, this way all content you wish to show on each page will be in the exact same position and not 'jumped' to a slightly different position. As to the linking of the flash buttons, after inserting the image and creating it as a flash, in the properties you can either type in the file name, or much easier select the link icon and point to the target file :winky: Glad to see that there are others out there that believe in frames and know how to use them. Is it a requirement that you must use frames or are you allowed to use other methods, like tables and cells?

Tony

What are they doing teaching you frames!?!? I can understand it if they get you to learn frames, then point out their weaknesses and say how it should be done.

A modern standards-based layout makes use of DIV's, list elements and CSS positioning. And to be honest it's probably more straightforward than frames once you learn a few CSS tricks, and try and forget about people with Internet Explorer 6!!

Still, having a background in older methods is probably a good thing.

If you specify the name of the frame in the target attribute of the anchor, it should load the content in that frame. Try setting the ID and the NAME attributes on your frame tags.

I done bits of CSS ages n ages ago but have pretty much forgotten it now and used lists/tables previously as well but just thought that by using frames for this site it would be different and show a bit more effort involved in order to gain marks but I really didnt know that the usage of frames was that out dated now and now its doing my head in why my teacher aint told me not to use frames....I'm in limbo on what to do now...how should I develop the site u think? If I scrap the frames it means re thinking/writing quite a bit of my work that I've done for the planning stages etc...hmmm

Well, it's a big topic, but to do professional web design you need to use CSS layouts. Your doctype should be XHTML 1.0 Transitional, and use the validator on the W3C web site to make sure your page validates.

Don't use tables for layout (but by all means use them for table data).

You'll need to make use of DIV's using floated elements, and use list elements.

Make sure you understand the difference between a block level element (e.g. div) and an inline element (e.g. span)

I don't know what you're trying to get out of this, if it's just a quick primer in web design then stick with what you're doing of course! But the advice above is if you are planning to get into it seriously.

Some links:

http://www.csszengarden.com/

http://www.alistapart.com/

This is very good too: http://www.maxdesign.com.au/presentation/page_layouts/

My site (http://www.binary-designs.co.uk/) is quite simple but is an example of a CSS layout. Take a look at the HTML source, it's nice and clean (apart from a few ASP.NET things in there), because I did it by hand in Visual Studio rather than using something like Frontpage.

Thanks for your PM and reply mate. Thats some very interesting information u've given me there and I'm looking into CSS at the moment actually and think that it'll probably be a lot easier to use that. You're site is really good I think, simple but effective and is the sorta look I wanna give mine. I'm currently going through some tutorials and will hopefully get at least the structure of my site sorted by this weekend. I'll give you a shout if I need any help mate. If I had more time on my hands then I'd ask to meet up as I'm in bolton most of the time and u aint too far from there so coulda been easier to go thru stuff like that. Thanks again tho.