Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Jobs And Insurance Policies

Just out of interest what jobs determine to insurance companies if you are classed as a high risk or low risk driver?

im a warehouse manager so on the risk scale where would insurance companies place me?

does any one know how they calculate this? maybe one of the SKY boys or girls can explain it?

Police officers are high risk. The reason being that because of their job they may react to an incident i.e. chase a stolen car.

Entertainers i.e. pub singers "artistes" are high because they are travelling to licensed premises and "may" drink!

Obvious one is footballers Very High due to payout if they damaged themselves but I should't think Ronaldo or Rooney worry about their insurance premiums.

My wife used to work in insurance and says that some of the reasons for higher premiums due to your occupation were unbelievable!

If you are claiming IB your premium is lower than if you are claiming JSA. The assumption by the insurer is that if on JSA you will be using your car to look for work whereas on IB you won't.

CHECK OUT THIS LINK, tweak your job title to beat insurers. (takes a while search!)

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/insurance...picker/#sectors

FOUND THIS ON WWW.UK.REUTERS.COM.

LONDON (Reuters) -

Footballers have long been known for scoring own goals in the car insurance market, but comedians, fortune-tellers and bin men have now joined the list of people with the highest premiums, a survey shows.

An analysis of quotes from 13 insurance providers for 365 different professions found a difference of up to 850 pounds a year between those jobs that command the highest car insurance costs and the lowest.

Price comparison service Confused.com used the template of a 32-year-old man driving a Ford Mondeo LX and living in London postcode area NW1, with a maximum no-claims bonus.

Its research found that footballers took the biggest kicking, being forced to fork out 1,348 pounds per year for fully comprehensive insurance.

Premiums for comedians were also no laughing matter. They ranked second highest at 1,227 pounds, followed by stuntmen, fortune-tellers, circus employees, minicab drivers, national press journalists and builders.

Firewood merchants and cleaners rounded up the top 10, while bee-keepers, mechanics, driving instructors, bin men and telephone salesmen made up the 15 most expensive occupations.

At the other end of the scale, secretaries were found to enjoy the cheapest premiums, at just 501 pounds per year.

Police officers -- commonly upheld as among the safest drivers -- came second in the cheap premium league, with average car insurance costs of 574 pounds.

Others in the top 15 included computer consultants, paramedics, bank managers, doctors, lawyers, teachers and firemen. Naturalists, chauffeurs and underwriters were also low-risk.

Debra Williams, managing director of Confused.com, said: "Insurers assess risk in many different ways -- one of which is profession."

However, she said insurers based their quotes on their own claims experience, making it important that drivers searched the entire market when looking for the best deal.

police officers pay less!!my wife is a traffic cop and on her insurance group 17 car shes paying £200 fully comp and shes 25!my insurance was going to be 284 fully comp put her as a named driver i'm now paying 191.50 fully comp!!i'm 28.i'm a mechanic and they are in the high end of the insurance scale!!so when i phone for prices i'm not a mechanic im a technician.heehee

I know (to my cost £££) anyone in the Entertainment/Nightclub/Bars industry gets a 30% or even greater increase

in their premiums. I do know people who try to hide the extra cost via "alternative" job descriptions, but I'd much

rather know I'd be covered in the event of a claim.......

You always must remember the insurance company has a disclaimer somewhere in the small print along the lines of

"you must disclose any material facts that would affect our underwriters assesment of the risk, failure to disclose any such fact could invalidate your insurance".......... nuff said :winky:

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in the military but as far as the insurance is concerned I'm a civil servant. Technically I'm not lying to them.

Hmm, not sure that an insurance company would agree that you're disclosing all the "material facts" if you're in the military and tell them you're just a "civil servant". Your decision, of course.

I know (to my cost £££) anyone in the Entertainment/Nightclub/Bars industry gets a 30% or even greater increase

in their premiums. I do know people who try to hide the extra cost via "alternative" job descriptions, but I'd much

rather know I'd be covered in the event of a claim.......

You always must remember the insurance company has a disclaimer somewhere in the small print along the lines of

"you must disclose any material facts that would affect our underwriters assesment of the risk, failure to disclose any such fact could invalidate your insurance".......... nuff said :winky:

What they gonna do watch one of your 'sets' at the bingo hall?

I doubt it.

Wozza, you are about as high risk as it gets!!

Ollie

This I know mate, but you still did me a good deal :)

(just to clarify I do have a clean driving licence and max NCD but the occupation.....:tsktsk:)

As for Bingo Hall I think you have me confused with someone else mate.

No bingo halls I know of in Leicester Square................:winky: