Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My Brakes :(

Rabster

Well i have had some issues with the front drivers brake over past week so not been driving it much well infcat not at all

I tried cleaning it, and re greasing what the spray grease could reach and that did nothing

so i called the RAC never used it before i pay for a service thought i would give it a go (thought it was a stuck calliper)

turns out he thinks my brakes have work down they were last changed in 06 so guess there due any recomendations on types to get

as the RAC couldnt promise the caliper wasnt nuffed i think i have 2 options

i could buy a cheap pair of brake pads and disc's and see if it is those and not the caliper if it is then get a decent set at a later date without doing much damage (car is booked for a service on the 20th) so get it done by lexus but at present the car wont move

or get the car towed to kwick fit and have them do it all

what do you all think i should do options and opinions welcome

Rabs

Hi,

When you say "issues with the brakes" is it stuck on, are the discs scored, are the pads worn down to the backing plates?.

I had an issue with mine this last week when one of the caliper sliding pins had corroded and had to be forcibly extracted and replaced.

You can get caliper repair kits including new pistons and seals.

For discs and pads I would stick to OEM or the better non OEM makes

according to the RAC bloke the back pad is gone completly and is now metal on metal, he thinks the caliper is still fine he can move it so not seized just yet

he said its damaged the disc i know he cant sell them to me so not in his intrest to tell me otherwise really lol

how much does the piston repair kit cost and do the stealerships hold them in stock or order only part???

Rabs

cheers for that

the car hasnt been serviced yet its goin in on the 20th this month.

i think i will go any buy some pads and disc's tomorow see if that cures it if it does when it goes in for the service i will get them evaluate my calipes and if i need to do the pins then i will get the parts and do them one weekend as i have that funny feeling they wont have them in stock at lexus if want to buy them tomorow lol

what do you think is that a good plan ?

Rabs

Rab......Surely if the pads were that low you would have had the low wear pins/indicators (on the pads) touching the disc and making a terrible noise? Even when this starts happening there is normally still a couple of mm of brake pad left?

Keith

Rab......Surely if the pads were that low you would have had the low wear pins/indicators (on the pads) touching the disc and making a terrible noise? Even when this starts happening there is normally still a couple of mm of brake pad left?

Keith

well it was making a grumble 2 weeks ago so stopped using it but had a 100mile drive so think that finished them off

just looking online at the mo for local shooops that stock is200 brakes in braintree area there is a toyota stealership at freeport might call them see if they have any in stock

rabs

Yeah, you're supposed to get a warning light indicator on the dash before you actually get completely to the metal-on-metal stage, aren't you ?

Think the piston repair kit from Lexus/Toyota will list at around £60 or so, though I could be wrong.

Theres nothing to do that unfortuantly,

Just the high pitch squeeling of the little wear tab scraping the disc.

Yeah, you're supposed to get a warning light indicator on the dash before you actually get completely to the metal-on-metal stage, aren't you ?

Think the piston repair kit from Lexus/Toyota will list at around £60 or so, though I could be wrong.

Theres nothing to do that unfortuantly,

Just the high pitch squeeling of the little wear tab scraping the disc.

Lol, ah ok, thanks Stav. At that stage there's still a little bit of the brake pad left, isn't there ? The pad hasn't completely gone but the wear tab is warning you that there's not much left ?

ok well here is the lowdown on todays fun

9 - 11.30 am trying to find new brakes for the car

12pm wooohooo lexus woodford have them in stock downside there about 40min away

3pm i start on the brakes

3.30 i brake my 17mm socket and my wrench snapes (these bolts are tight bloody tight)

cool down time before i break some one as well

5pm brakes are now off both side time to fit new ones

good news calipers are not seized however i recon if i put my discs on a record player they would play a funky tune (seriously groved now and not meant to be)

so new brakes are on looks good wheel doesnt spin freely though im thinking the brakes need bedding in

things i spotted during chage procedure

drivers side fron brake is completly shot no pad at all on the rear infact im down to the the welds lol pictures will show this tomorow

spring pins that link from front of disc to back of disc are no where in sight (are they important)

the amount of brake dust on the front right wheel in comparison to the rest of the wheel is unbelieveable if i could get it alloff i could probably make a new pad lol

pads and discs came in at 195 form the dealership i know i could have got better ones cheaper but didnt have the time to shop around today once i knew as i needed the car by tuesday

will change the pads to MIntex in a few months and keep these as spares

Rabs

Sounds like youve been having fun matey :whistling:

Is it the top clips that are missing matey? the ones that hold the pads down in the caliper? :unsure:

oh yes its been sooooo much fun lol

tomorow might be the re-wire the car needs lol

rabs

:lol: busy boy then :)

Think those clips are an anti rattle clip, and assists in stopping the pads lifting under braking mate, so might be a good idea to replace them?

:offtopic: But did you ever sort your gauge setup out? :unsure:

Sounds like youve been having fun matey :whistling:

Is it the top clips that are missing matey? the ones that hold the pads down in the caliper? :unsure:

oh yes its been sooooo much fun lol

tomorow might be the re-wire the car needs lol

rabs

:lol: busy boy then :)

Think those clips are an anti rattle clip, and assists in stopping the pads lifting under braking mate, so might be a good idea to replace them?

hmmm well ill get lexus 2 put some in o the 20th when its in for a service as i dont have any left and halfrauds didnt know what i was talking about even when i showed them one the bloke looked at me thoughthe was going to offer me some ripspeed stuff lol

the gauge system will be done by JAE if i can ever sort this bit out ill pm you details in a min keeping it very quiet :winky:

Rabs

:offtopic: But did you ever sort your gauge setup out? :unsure: