Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Usless Auto Windscreen Wipers.....

The auto setting on my wipers is bordering on useless. It's so unpredictable. Sometimes it's OK others the windscreen is soaked and it still doesn't kick in. Wish I'd got the intermittent option rather than the auto.

Is it just me?

It's driving me spare!!!

Malc

I've tried it a few times when I've had IS250s as courtesy cars and I actually thought it was quite good. There were a few odd occasions when it would be wiping when it probably wasn't necessary, but never the other way round. Unless the system is different in the IS, perhaps there's something wrong with yours?

Your description sounds like the one in our Merc though, its auto wipers are just as sporadic!

They seem OK on my Camry, occasionally I have adjusted the sensitivity on them. The problem is the sensor is so small in area relative to the size of the screen that there isn't much for the sensor to go on, so if thats dry it won't wipe but if it gets a droplet over it then it will wipe.

The auto setting on my wipers is bordering on useless. It's so unpredictable. Sometimes it's OK others the windscreen is soaked and it still doesn't kick in. Wish I'd got the intermittent option rather than the auto.

Is it just me?

It's driving me spare!!!

Malc

Hi Malc, no it s not you, my 450h is exactly the same, often wiping a dry screen for no reason yet when a truck passes in the other direction covering me in spray it almost never wipes. Quite amuses me but is sometimes dangerous but shes worth it !

I was just about to mention the auto wipers on mercs lol...our E class ones were useless I thought. If it was only spitting and u only needed them on a an int setting it would have them on a faster one. Was much better to just set it manually.

• 1 month later...

I've been happy with the performance of the auto wipers on the 450h so far, although I do use the sensitivty adjust to fine tune it from time to time.

I did have problems with the 250sel though. On a cold mornings with a little dew on the car, the wipers would sometimes go nuts, wiping furiously and not stopping.

• 1 year later...

Has anyone changed the auto wiper function to intermittent?

The manual says it can be done if preferred, it just doesnt say how!

Are you at it again, ........ :hehe:

Only joking!

Sometimes mine can be temperamental. I just adjust the sensitivity until it sorts itself out.

I must admit I don’t think much of them either, I find if it raining hard, or driving 40mph or more then they work well, but its when you get light/ drizzly rain, the problem starts they seem to wait until you cant see a dam thing before they work. You could try 2 things.

Give your windscreen a good clean, making sure you use some sort of de greaser.

You may need new wipers, if the ones you have smear slightly, the sensor plays up.

Rainex is awesome stuff and means half the time you won't need to use your wipers at all...

I was doing 70mph without wipers the other night on the A720 in the rain and the only reason I knew it was raining was I could hear it hitting the car...

Rainex is awesome stuff and means half the time you won't need to use your wipers at all...

Agreed. Not much use under 40mph though. Do you get a greyish smear/film when you use wipers in light drizzle?

My GS450h is exactly the same! Wipers are completely useless on auto!

I've got my car booked in for this Friday for a service and I happened to mention the wipers to them, he said that if the windscreen has been replaced at all in its history (I'm not sure if it has or not on mine), then there is a chance that the film that sits behind the screen in front of the sensor, that if not installed correctly or swapped from the old screen will cause the poor performance as noticed! So they are going to replace the film part for me :) Not sure on cost but apparently it's not a big job so I have my fingers crossed on this 1!

I shall update next weekend if this cures the problem or not!

Cheers

Ben

Has anyone changed the auto wiper function to intermittent?

The manual says it can be done if preferred, it just doesnt say how!

Are you at it again, ........ :hehe:

Only joking!

Sometimes mine can be temperamental. I just adjust the sensitivity until it sorts itself out.

Lol almost!

My auto wipers were mostly playing dead. I noticed the sensor was loose, so I cleaned it and secured it in its original position.

Im looking forward to the next time it rains and I can test it!

Agreed. Not much use under 40mph though. Do you get a greyish smear/film when you use wipers in light drizzle?

Fraid not... The rain just sits speckled on the screen until about 50mph for me, after that the momentum of the car has it streaming off the screen.

If I'm staying under 50, then I just swipe the wipers manually once in a while but there's no film left or anything - perhaps you need new wiper blades?

• 2 weeks later...

Well the dealership fitted the film in front of the sensor and they actually seem to sense rain now! Not tested them under proper rain yet, as it was only light drizzle and didn't last very long, but they worked as they should!

So if you've ever had a windscreen fitted and are having troubles with the wipers not sensing then its likely that the windscreen fitter hasn't swapped the film over to the new screen causing your troubles!

Hope that helps at all!

Cheers

Ben