Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Front Windscreen Water Ingress Problem

Evening All,

Just recently noticed that im getting water ingress problems on my front windscreen passenger side. I only notice it as i had water marks along it and thought it was on the outside only to find out after close inspection its getting into the inside. Its nothing major at the moment but its always best to get it fixed before it gets worse.

So i went to lexus to confirm if my windscreen had been replaced by the previous owner but they said its Lexus Windscreen. so that narrowed it down to the seal needed fixing. The guy at the service desk said i need to call my insurance company to get this sorted out.

I called my insurance company and they said that its not covered by them as its considered wear and tear! ive only had the car in Jan and its a 2005 54reg so its not that old. The insurance company told me to call national windscreen (i think thats what they are called) and see that they say but they arent open until tuesday :( im hoping its not going to cost too much

im wondering if anyone has had a similar problem and what happened?

help!

never heard of that before, its a shame ur insurance wont cover it, as you would only have to pay in the region of 50 excess, otherwise to replace the screen its alot of money, i paid 50 excess when i accidently smashed my front screen but that was through insurance.

im not sure how the process is to replace a screen but do they have to destroy a perfectly fine front screen? its only the seal that apppears damaged. Maybe i should get some super glue :D

^^^^ What Rob said.

It seems highly likely your windscreen has been replaced at some point and not sealed properly. As you will see from another current thread, unfortunately this seems like a common problem. I can only assume there's something about the design of the screen which makes it tricky to seal properly for the usual windscreen replacement companies.

Unless you can find out who replaced it, via the previous owner, then you're probably stuck. Even if you did find out who replaced it, the company might not cooperate with you given the change of ownership.

I'm afraid you're probably going to have to pay for someone to take out the windscreen and fit it again properly. You might even want to get a quote from Lexus/Toyota for this, since at least then you'll know they will do it properly.

i had similar problem when my windscreen started to leak several months back..mine was right in the centre...and the water dripped and collected in the gear gaiter.. i took it to autoglass and they told me that it seemed there was a gap in the seal...and the windscreen would need replacing as the current one might break when removed...it weould've cost around 400-500, however at the same time they noticed some chips in the windscreen and suggested to contact mu insurer...at that time even my insurance was third party fire n theft...so i first upgraded my policy to fully comp and waited for few weeks before i called my insurance company...they told me to contact national windscreens and they replaced the windscreen....at which time it became apparent the windscreen had been replaced before and obviously not a good job....

but now...no problem...and i only had to pay the excess and ofcourse the extra for changing to fully comp...but still much less than 400-500 quid...

so..just like the guys said above...check if you have any chips in your windscreen...if they are in your field of vision...then shouldnt be a problem for them to change it... or...alternatively like the guys said...get it smashed....or even few cracks will do the job... :winky:

£400 - 500!!! holy crap!! i could get a new paint job for that.... cant i? mmmmm if its £200 then i would be willing to pay, but thats some crazy price just to replace a damn seal! consider me a unhappy man :( oh well im going to wax the car.