Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rounded Off Bolts That Are Just To Rusted

Rabster

How do i get them off i have anew zorst waiting to go on the car but cant get the buggers off spent about 2 hours the other weekend and gave up for a warmer day

and tips or is it worth trying to drop the whole zorst of and change the all the bolts once its off by cutting them out with a hack saw or maybe even my chop saw with a rage blade he he

Rabs

Metrinch sockets are quite good for this, they grip the flats rather than the Edges like normal ones,

Also could you get an impact wrench/gun?

otherwise its cutting them off i'm afraid.

Metrinch sockets are quite good for this, they grip the flats rather than the Edges like normal ones,

Also could you get an impact wrench/gun?

otherwise its cutting them off i'm afraid.

i dont have access to an impact kit at my hoeo at my mates workshop and he is out racing this weekend

im thinking ill try and undo the zorst from the base of the downpipe see if i can break the rust there

what size bolts are they thread wise i can imagine them being an m10 so M8??

Rabs

Have you tried some of the IRWIN bolt extractors?? i got some of these to get my rear box and manifild off after rounding the rusted bolts. Came off a treat :D

Clicky Egay number 300296774838

Most places like Machine mart, Ernest Doe and B&Q should have them in stock!

Tom.

Best bet is to use a 6 point socket, usually stops them rounding off so easily. Other option is to warm them up, wither run the engine so the exhaust is hot or use a blow torch. Failing that, just cut them off!

Mark.

Stav, how does that work ? :duh:

Basically put a socket on the end, and bang f**king hard on the top with a hammer, basically its a short sharp shock that should loosen them.

Like a windy gun in the garage. that builds up then releases the pressure in a sharp shock to undo bolts.

Stav

Stav, how does that work ? :duh:

Basically put a socket on the end, and bang f**king hard on the top with a hammer, basically its a short sharp shock that should loosen them.

I'm trying to figure out which part of that kit you would use. Is it the big black thing (the impact driver ?) that you then attach a socket to, you whack the impact driver and it converts the hitting force into torque to loosen the stud/nut/whatever ?

If they are on 'U' clamps and rusty I tighten them until they break off!!

Unfortunatly there not there the bolts between the CAT and Centre Section its getting to the point of cutting off i tried with a hack saw earlier but its in such an awkward place even if did manage the bottom one i dont think i can reach the top one....