Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Fitting My Supercharger

Well, I've now spent the whole day fitting my supercharger kit and just took the car for a test drive. At first everything seemed fine, it sounded lovely when i drove slowly on the gravel road towards the main road.

Finally, when I pushed the throttle a bit harder the car suddenly went into what I suppose is some kind of limp mode. The engine light came on and the TRC OFF light started flashing. I was able to drive my car back to my home but it's now to dark outside to keep working. I will continue tomorrow, but if anyone has got an idea of what might be wrong I would be super glad to know what you think. I will take some pictures of how the HKS FCD is connected and upload them tomorrow.

Cheers everyone, and happy easter :)

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what setting is the FCD on?

sounds like youve either hit fuel cut, or dont have a good connection with the wiring.

What wiring diagarm did you use?

Stav

My god, that was quick. Thank you for the reply, mate :)

I used the wiring diagram that came with the supercharger installation manual, but of course the colors didn't match the FCD. Earlier I found a 'translation' for the HKS FCD. Unfortunately I don't have it here, but I think it was red -> red, black -> black, green -> yellow and yellow -> white. The setting is 9.

Edit: That's the wiring diagram I used, but I don't recognize the upper part of it. I'm sure the HKS FCD only has four wires, should there be more? :unsure:

Hmm all sounds right,

maybe try the FCD on 8? but i wouldnt go any lower.

i assume youve soldered the connections?

Actually no, I haven't soldered the connections. The red and black wires are connected to the ECU with these thingys

67245.jpg

I'm afraid I have no idea what the other connections are called, but they are not soldered. I will try that tomorrow.

Scotchloks.

unfortunate that's probably the cause of your problem TBH.

I'm trying to get out of the habit of using them as well. Solder the connections up and leave it on 9, should be ok.

If not try setting 8.

Stav

:offtopic: 9999 posts!

Hmm all sounds right,

maybe try the FCD on 8? but i wouldnt go any lower.

i assume youve soldered the connections?

Actually no, I haven't soldered the connections. The red and black wires are connected to the ECU with these thingys

67245.jpg

I'm afraid I have no idea what the other connections are called, but they are not soldered. I will try that tomorrow.

those are the devils work!!

i know nothing about the charger but those do not give a good electrical connection.. i would suggest replacing asap!

Scotchloks.

unfortunate that's probably the cause of your problem TBH.

I'm trying to get out of the habit of using them as well. Solder the connections up and leave it on 9, should be ok.

If not try setting 8.

Stav

:offtopic: 9999 posts!

I'm so glad you are awake and willing to help out here. A million thanks and congratulations on your 9999th post :) I'm eager to get up tomorrow and try to fix the problem. I will let you know how it goes, I'm so tired right now and I can see my English is kind of dodgy :P

Congrats on the install Patrik,

I had a few probs with the fcd when i did mine and it turned out to be a crap connection, and with a lot of Stav's help got it sorted (cheers matey) :)

The wiring on mine didnt seem to tie up with the drawings, so went through the wiring diagrams for my car and i connected the fcd up like this,

Black fcd wire into block E6 connected to a White wire with a black stripe,

Red fcd wire into block E2 connected to a Black wire with a Red stripe

The fcd White and yellow wire go to Block E5 which was a Green wire with a Red stripe and cut this wire, the fcd yellow wire conected towards the ECU and the White fcd wire connected to the wire going away from the ecu, both connected to the Green wire with the Red stripe?

And have mine on setting 9 :) Not sure if that helps mate but mine works fine now with it wired in that way :)

Thank you for all your replies, mates :)

Unfortunately the problem remains. I soldered the FCD connections, reset the ECU and took the car for a spin... same problem. It's fine until I really push the throttle, then the engine light comes on and TRC OFF starts flashing, as well as the car refusing to build up revs.

I tried disconnecting the HKS FCD and connected the ECU wires the way they were. I also disconnected the supercharger bypass valve wire so that it remained open, reset the ECU and tried again. This time everything worked like the car had never seen a supercharger, no warning lights but of course no gain from the charger as it was both electronically and mechanically disconnected.

Next I connected the bypass valve again to let the engine build up boost on throttle, but I let the FCD be disconnected. This time the problem appeared again, when I stepped on it. Like Stav mentioned it feels like I hit the fuel cut, but I can't notice any difference between the original ECU setting and setting 9 and 10 on the HKS FCD :unsure:

Can you get a pic of the fcd wiring mate? with the wires its connected too? :)

Sure, mate :) Here it is. I've cut the green wire with red stripe and connected the FCD yellow wire to the ECU end and the white wire to the other end.

DSC_0533.JPG

Sure, mate :) Here it is. I've cut the green wire with red stripe and connected the FCD yellow wire to the ECU end and the white wire to the other end.

DSC_0533.JPG

EDIT: just had another look and it looks like its wired the same as mine?

DSC_0533.JPG

Looking at your pic mate, is the black FCD wire connected to a black wire with a white stripe? i connected mine to one of the 3 white wires with a black stripe as there the earth wires?

No, the black wire is connected to one of the three white (looks kind of pink in the picture) wires with a black stripe :)

DSC_0533.JPG

Looking at your pic mate, is the black FCD wire connected to a black wire with a white stripe? i connected mine to one of the 3 white wires with a black stripe as there the earth wires?

No, the black wire is connected to one of the three white (looks kind of pink in the picture) wires with a black stripe :)

Yeh i just had another look mate and edited my post above :) looks like its how i did mine so not sure now mate?

UPDATE:

I've now tried setting 12 on the HKS FCD and it actually runs a bit better. I did som hard acceleration in first and second gear, which was great. However, when I put my foot down in third gear and low revs it immediately went into this "limp mode". I read in another thread about a vacuum sensor that freaks out if there is overpressure in the inlet. Shouldn't this be prevented by the piggyback ECU? :unsure:

EDIT:

Have you tried soldering the yellow and green wire connections? ir have they always been on crimps?

if not then they need to be soldered connections as well.

Hello mate,

The crimps came with the FCD and I put them on myself. I'll try soldering them immediately. Thanks

UPDATE:

I've now tried setting 12 on the HKS FCD and it actually runs a bit better. I did som hard acceleration in first and second gear, which was great. However, when I put my foot down in third gear and low revs it immediately went into this "limp mode". I read in another thread about a vacuum sensor that freaks out if there is overpressure in the inlet. Shouldn't this be prevented by the piggyback ECU? :unsure:

EDIT:

Have you tried soldering the yellow and green wire connections? ir have they always been on crimps?

if not then they need to be soldered connections as well.

Hello mate,

The crimps came with the FCD and I put them on myself. I'll try soldering them immediately. Thanks

Definetley solder them mate, they put the crimps in the kit for ease but soldering is always the way forward.

As for the setting, 12 is like its not even there. basically like an "off" button for it. So if its acting like that then sounds like a loose connection.

Also is the belt nice and tight as if it didnt hit the fuel cut in first and second on setting 12 you may not be making full boost.

Stav

UPDATE AGAIN:

All connections are soldered, the supercharger belt is tightened, the ECU is reset and the bypass wire is adjusted to close later. However, the problem is still present. I've noticed that I can accelerate slowly to around 4k rpm and then step on it without any problems, but when I push the throttle hard in low revs the engine light comes on along with the trc off light and the car slows down. I'm running out of ideas. Please let me know what you think.

EDIT:

What should be the difference between FCD setting 9 and setting 12? I've now tried both setting and I must say I can't notice any difference.