Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

No Display On Sat Nav Screen

I've just had the sat nav unit out again and there only seems to be two different connections on the back. One for the ground wire and the other is a load of leads attached to one connector. I took two photos, one of the wires coming from the dash and one of the back of the unit, but I don't know how to insert them. Tried the "insert image" button and it just asked me for the URL of the image's location.

Load the photos up to a photo hosting website, e.g. Photobucket (but there are tons of others). Then you'll see that it gives your photo a URL.

OK. Here are are the photos.

http://s666.photobucket.com/albums/vv30/ro...satnavleads.jpg

Above are the connections from the dash.

http://s666.photobucket.com/albums/vv30/ro.../stanavback.jpg

The back of the sat nav unit.

http://s666.photobucket.com/albums/vv30/ro...oter/stereo.jpg

The stereo, which as far as I can tell, is OEM.

satnavleads.jpg

stanavback.jpg

stereo.jpg

I put the photos directly into the posting for you. You can use the photo button to do that, the one next to the link button. Or on Photobucket there's a ready-made box (the fourth one) under each picture (when you hover the mouse over it) labelled "IMG code" which does this for you :winky:

satnavleads.jpg

stanavback.jpg

stereo.jpg

I put the photos directly into the posting for you. You can use the photo button to do that, the one next to the link button. Or on Photobucket there's a ready-made box (the fourth one) under each picture (when you hover the mouse over it) labelled "IMG code" which does this for you :winky:

have you checked the back of the HU?

there is a polling function to the hu and this needs tobe connected.

the only other thing to check is if the computer in the boot is connected. failing that you will need to swap the screen over to see if thats at fault. i have one that you can try if you fancy a drive to nottingham.

By the HU do you mean the stereo unit? There are only two connections at the back of the sat nav as far as I can see. Where does the lead for the polling function connect?

its in the loom and goes to HU (stereo) and amp.

check the connections at the amp, the HU and in the boot.

Ok, I've now had everything out and checked all the connections and I can see nothing amiss.

Do I now assume that the screen has somehow burnt out? It's a little strange if it has, since burnt out sat nav displays isn't a topic I've seen anyone raise so I can't imagine it's a common problem.

Ok, I've now had everything out and checked all the connections and I can see nothing amiss.

Do I now assume that the screen has somehow burnt out? It's a little strange if it has, since burnt out sat nav displays isn't a topic I've seen anyone raise so I can't imagine it's a common problem.

well i think i also have a burntout screen the only other thing to check is if you take the whole unit apart and make sure the ribbon cable is properly seated from one board to the next......

Rabs

there are issues with the ribbons between the screen and the board.

i only have one suggestion left, try another working screen to determine if its the wiring before the unit or the unit itself..

Do you mean unscrew the sat nav unit? Haven't got much to lose since it's not working anyway, but is it a simple thing to unscrew it, check it and then screw it up again? I guess if the ribbon's ok it must be a burnt out screen, and if this is the case I don't suppose the screen can be replaced rather than the whole unit?

if memory serves there are 4 screws that remove the little box on the back where the multi pin connects to it wont come fully away but enough to show the ribbon housing where you can undo it and push it back home again just incase i know there is a walkthrough somewhere on the net failing that i have one on my pc ill dig it out

Rabs

if memory serves there are 4 screws that remove the little box on the back where the multi pin connects to it wont come fully away but enough to show the ribbon housing where you can undo it and push it back home again just incase i know there is a walkthrough somewhere on the net failing that i have one on my pc ill dig it out

Rabs

Had a look for a walkthrough but can't find anything. Would be grateful if you could dig yours out for me. Knowing how tightly ribbon cables usually fit I doubt whether it's come loose on it's own, but I'll try anything at this point.

Rabs

Had a look for a walkthrough but can't find anything. Would be grateful if you could dig yours out for me. Knowing how tightly ribbon cables usually fit I doubt whether it's come loose on it's own, but I'll try anything at this point.

they tend to go faulty over time with use.. just like to old kenwood mask HU's

never seen them anywhere!

ifyou want a working unit then i have one on the sale section. PM me if your interetsed and we can work something out..

Rabs

I unscrewed the screws and saw one end of the ribbon cable (it didn't appear to be loose) but the cable proceeded into the middle of the unit so I couldn't check whether the other end was loose without taking the whole thing apart. Is there a guide to replacing the ribbon cable, as this would most likely seem the cheapest way of proceeding, certainly before trying a new screen, or new entire unit.

Rabs

I unscrewed the screws and saw one end of the ribbon cable (it didn't appear to be loose) but the cable proceeded into the middle of the unit so I couldn't check whether the other end was loose without taking the whole thing apart. Is there a guide to replacing the ribbon cable, as this would most likely seem the cheapest way of proceeding, certainly before trying a new screen, or new entire unit.

Hi what size screen is it ?

i have a screen which i belive is faulty so once i have tried a new screen if that works for me you are more than welcome to my ribbon cable from the old one i will check the continuity on each of the cores prior to sending if that will help

Rabs

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links