Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Tyres Question

w77

Hello everyone. My tyres need changing now and I just want to know if which budget tyres has got rim protection. I've got Nakang NS2 fitted at the moment but the rims are not protected at all. Can I put 225/45 rubber on a standard 5 spokes IS200 wheel? Maybe putting wider rubber will help.

Thanks.

The only way to protect your alloys is to avoid contact with kerb edges altogether. I think we would all agree that it is easier said than done. I have been caught out many times. IMHO alloys look wondeful when they have just been cleaned up but with a dose of brake dust and the odd "kerb kiss" they look no better than steel wheels. I will not be spending £200+ on refurbing mine until the day I sell it on.

Rim protection does actually work as long as you don't ram the kerb, only once have I gently touched the kerb with my 18s and got out expecting the worst but the rim protector on my goodyears had saved the rim :)

Not sure if budget tyre and rim protector are two things that go together though.......

Thanks for all your responses. I've asked this question because it is really annoying that everytime my front wheel touches the kerb, you'll always hear that grinding sound between the wheel and the concrete. I know that a simple solution is to avoid hitting/touching the kerb but we sometimes make mistakes.

I've got Michelins fitted at the rear with a bit of rim protection but they hardly protect the rim. As my question above, would a 225/45 tyre fit the standard 5 spoke IS200se wheel?

Thanks.